Groundie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very, VERY cool thread!

Throughout, I kept wondering why you weren't just letting those branches hit the ground. Your last post explains why! Not an inch to spare!

THANKS! Now I want to go climb trees!

When you getting up that tree. There isn't much left!!

Yeah, I know. Rob climbed most of the stuff that over hung our two houses (I hate to lose this magnificent shade tree!!), and there is a whole huge trunk leaning back toward the alley at quite an angle. I will try to find a pic to post. Hold on.

OK, here it is. Look at the rightmost trunk of the tree, it goes off to the right and to the left, angling back and then WAY up in its search for light. Plenty of climbing and plenty of pucker factor for me.......:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yup, this is one big a$$ tree. I counted 80 rings in a cookie, and we haven't gotten to the trunk yet!

Last edited:
Sweet thread here. When you getting in the tree?:)

As for his choice of saws, nothing new for an experienced tree guy. They don't have CAD and don't find the urge for the newest saws. My climber buddy still uses a 020avp in the tree. I asked him about the 200t, he said they are alright, but give him a 020avp any day over a 200t.:dizzy:

You are so right. He does not have CAD at all. I think he would like my 038 Mag, heck it's like new with a clear tank, but he won't go for it. He used all the Stihls when he worked for local tree services, but he likes to work part time, and he is fine with the saws he has, and he keeps his cost and his prices reasonable.

I was wondering if anybody knows whether hackberry is a suitable lumber wood. I was thinking about making a big beam out of one of the larger pieces. it might be worth investing in a Granberg, since I have an 084 or two lying around...

Also, I have been offered a nice 056 Mag 2 at a good price. I have two, so I am set for that saw right now. I do like the torquey grunt they have, good for stump slicing and burying deep in a wet sappy hardwood! How are they for milling? I would think a rich running, oil gusher would be suited to milling better than a new strato oil trickler....

I cut some hackberry beams for a guy when I had my bandsaw mill. They turned out nice and stayed pretty straight when they dried. I have seen kitchen cabinets made from hackberry. They looked nice.

I did not realize you were in Kansas until now. If you are anywhere near Lawrence and need another groundman to finish the job I would be more than happy to help. Sorry the offer is so late in the job

Last edited:
I cut some hackberry beams for a guy when I had my bandsaw mill. They turned out nice and stayed pretty straight when they dried. I have seen kitchen cabinets made from hackberry. They looked nice.

I did not realize you were in Kansas until now. If you are anywhere near Lawrence and need another groundman to finish the job I would be more than happy to help. Sorry the offer is so late in the job

Take a drive down a rough brick street 4 blocks east of Mass. We'll make it happen!

Ok ...we gots another..."everybody else is ...

OMG, Did I see an echo top handle and the guy one handing a saw? That guy is a hack:jawdrop: :help:

Just kidding!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I just see these kind of responds all the time.:dizzy:

The climber reminds me of some guys I see around here. Old school all the way around. Looks like a technical take down. I bet it was fun to help and watch.:clap:

Thanks for the thread!!!!:cheers:

Dont mean to pick ya out but ...just because ya happen to read a d**kless comment 'bout a certain brand of saw, definitely is not the reason to repeat it

Here are some more

This is some extreme tree climbing. I tried getting up and lost my nerve. (I had no spurs...yes, that is my excuse....:dizzy: )
This easternmost trunk extended a long way horizontally, including a 6 foot horizontal callus that was about 4" this total stem diameter, and he was WAAAY out past that point. Rob never flinched. HE stopped out there, rolled a cigarette, and kept on cutting and throwing. Prepare to be amazed......

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Be patient. I took many amazing pics yesterday. I will post them as I get the time to convert them to jpg form...... Enjoy!

This is one of the most entertaining threads ever. Amazing pictures...and really impressive. This friend of yours is on a whole nother level!
I would kill to have someone who was a proficient climber as a close friend to learn from. I'd bet just running rope for him was a great opportunity to see the rope techniques involved.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Ah..... now I can breathe a bit easier. Just in time to watch the Super Bowl!:clap:

And a big THANK YOU!! to AS member warjohn, who came over Saturday morning and moved a lot of heavy logs out of my driveway, and into a large stacked row or two in the back yard. I am still stove up from I think cracking my tailbone two weeks ago, so I am not anywhere near 100%. I really appreciate the help!:clap:

This is one of the most entertaining threads ever. Amazing pictures...and really impressive. This friend of yours is on a whole nother level!
I would kill to have someone who was a proficient climber as a close friend to learn from. I'd bet just running rope for him was a great opportunity to see the rope techniques involved.

Oh man, you have no idea. And he is such a soft-spoken, generous spirit. Calm when I would be yellow and brown all over......:greenchainsaw:

Can we clone warjohn? Thx teach for the "you wouldn't believe it unless ya saw it" photos
Great job ... on both ends there!:clap:

Latest posts

Back