Groundie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work guys!

I think it'd be a lot of fun to learn how to climb. The funny thing is I don't like heights.

I knew I should have came back yesterday. The pictures are great but I would have liked to warch Rob work. Have you dropped the trunk yet.

No, looks like this Saturday is it. We will rope down some big chunks then.

Nice work guys!

I think it'd be a lot of fun to learn how to climb. The funny thing is I don't like heights.

That just adds to the thrill of the experience........LOL
I don't like them either, unless I am roped into something sturdy, and a 3" stick way out on a limb is not my idea of sturdy.

Very sad news. I never met Rob but wished now that I would have taken the time to. I go back through this thread every few months just to look at the pictures of him working.

I'm so sorry to hear of this Teacherman.

To tell the truth, when I first saw this thread it made me think so much of the guy I first started out doing this stuff with. He was just a few years older than Rob. Trade his dog for a lab and his old truck for an old blue Ford and you have the same guy.

Just an old treeman but I learned so much from that guy. Not just about tree work but about how to survive and how to be a man. He took me in when I was about 21 and let me live with him and learn from him.

He taught me more about climbing than anyone I ever worked for. He was no braggart and was just a very modest, nonviolent, peaceful kind of guy. He taught me how to trust your life with another and about the bond between groundman and climber.

You would never see him with a hardhat on. He was good enough that he learned to make it on his own, not having to work for anyone. He worked on his own so he never caught on to the safety changes that became the craze here in the recent past. Not saying that that is good or bad just saying that it is what it is.

So sad to see an old warrior pass. They just don't make many guys like that anymore. That is why I get so mad when I hear about guys jumping in to commercial climbing and tree work as a sideline and doing it for peanuts. I have seen too many older guys who worked a lifetime doing some awesome things for peanuts. Usually too kind hearted to turn down a friend in need and working for whatever the friend can offer.

I have to chuckle to myself when I hear a 3-5-7 year climber beat their chest and crow because they passed some hour long exam and now they are the be all end all arborist. And not that that is a bad thing but they need to remember they are standing on the shoulders of some hellified men.

One pic that you posted brought me back to my younger days of being schooled by the old climber I mentioned was the wood handle on the pull cord. I saw the first guy I worked for do the same as well as teach me how to make a homemade file handle out of a cut stick of wood. He was a master at improvision.

I think you made one hell of a memorial for your friend even though you probably never even realized it when you did so. You never know what really could be guiding our actions when we first venture to accomplish something.

Rep coming from me for your memorial to your friend Rob.

I'm so sorry to hear of this Teacherman.

To tell the truth, when I first saw this thread it made me think so much of the guy I first started out doing this stuff with. He was just a few years older than Rob. Trade his dog for a lab and his old truck for an old blue Ford and you have the same guy.

Just an old treeman but I learned so much from that guy. Not just about tree work but about how to survive and how to be a man. He took me in when I was about 21 and let me live with him and learn from him.

He taught me more about climbing than anyone I ever worked for. He was no braggart and was just a very modest, nonviolent, peaceful kind of guy. He taught me how to trust your life with another and about the bond between groundman and climber.

You would never see him with a hardhat on. He was good enough that he learned to make it on his own, not having to work for anyone. He worked on his own so he never caught on to the safety changes that became the craze here in the recent past. Not saying that that is good or bad just saying that it is what it is.

So sad to see an old warrior pass. They just don't make many guys like that anymore. That is why I get so mad when I hear about guys jumping in to commercial climbing and tree work as a sideline and doing it for peanuts. I have seen too many older guys who worked a lifetime doing some awesome things for peanuts. Usually too kind hearted to turn down a friend in need and working for whatever the friend can offer.

I have to chuckle to myself when I hear a 3-5-7 year climber beat their chest and crow because they passed some hour long exam and now they are the be all end all arborist. And not that that is a bad thing but they need to remember they are standing on the shoulders of some hellified men.

One pic that you posted brought me back to my younger days of being schooled by the old climber I mentioned was the wood handle on the pull cord. I saw the first guy I worked for do the same as well as teach me how to make a homemade file handle out of a cut stick of wood. He was a master at improvision.

I think you made one hell of a memorial for your friend even though you probably never even realized it when you did so. You never know what really could be guiding our actions when we first venture to accomplish something.

Rep coming from me for your memorial to your friend Rob.

Thanks, Tree M.D. I appreciate that.
You know, I am going to ask his mom if I can show this thread at the celebration of his life later on.
I also was thinking of asking if I could borrow his 041, fix it up, and maybe even find someone to paint it up and give it back to her as some kind of memorial of him.

wow, what a sad ending to a great thread of photos to a great climber. Condolence to his family. I am sure many people he worked for where you live will have stories to tell for a long time about the work your friend Rob has done at there homes. I am happy I had the Opportunity to see some of his work on this thread. thanks, RIP.

Thanks, Tree M.D. I appreciate that.
You know, I am going to ask his mom if I can show this thread at the celebration of his life later on.
I also was thinking of asking if I could borrow his 041, fix it up, and maybe even find someone to paint it up and give it back to her as some kind of memorial of him.

Sorry to here that.

Ill see how my 046 comes out, if it comes out good id be willing to powder coat it if someone with a better setup sand blasts it. Ill check the color chart for an orange.

There were hundreds of people at Rob's funeral. He was well-loved in our community, that is for sure.
I met his mom, and she is a wonderful, sweet lady. She thinks it would be a great idea to show this thread at the celebration of his life next Sunday. As for the 041, some bad news. Somebody stole it and another saw. The 041 he got twenty years ago from Bob Laing, a totally eccentric old man I actually knew pretty well back in the '80s, and quite an arborist in his own right, is gone. I will go around and check the local pawnshops for an 041 with a bad coil when I get back home next week.

I was thinking: I have seen many 041s on this site, in various states of repair/disrepair. How about we get together and find one of the same variety as his old one, as shown in the pictures back a few pages, and restore and paint it, make it like new, and present it to her as a memorial to her son? I know she would appreciate it. I will pay whatever is necessary to get the basic saw, and I would like to do some of the work, but I am NOT a painter of saws. What thinketh ye, gentlemen?

I for one am happy to see your freind in action and deaply saddened of this outcome.

He looked like a truely worken hard playen hard kinda guy. Those people anymore seem to be left out of what we call progress in modern America. He reminds me of many of the oldtimers from my trade [ no pun intended ] who went out on a limb to get the job done. Guys like that get thrown out of the safety concious, cover your ass, and don't give a crap about the worker companies that prevail in my local unions territory.

I was at a funeral for a guy who reminded me of your freind just two years ago. He was what we called a legend. In my trade you acheive legendary status in a funny kinda way, that usually has more to do with your after work personality than anything else. His grandson put his hammer and tongs in his casket just before they closed it. I've never seen so many tough grown men cry. Me included.

I'm deeply saddened for the loss of your freind and I send my condolences to all the family members. The working class has lost another great.

Back