Hand filing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will dall faster but cuts a lot quicker. Most people who like to play (race or cookie cutters) use square ground chain.

Just not so.

Stronger working corner than round chisel, lasts longer, cuts faster.
What's not to like?
Yes there is a learning curve to sharpen ( also applies to round) but, even a lousy sharpen of a sq chisel will out cut a lousy sharpen of a round chisel.

Bad side..... files are a lot more $.

OK some pics of what I have been working on. What's wrong and what to do to fix it.
Always hard to judge by photos - even arm chair judging.

'Looks' like I can see light reflecting off of the top plate cutting edge - a sign that the bevel is not sharp.

'Appears' like the depth gauge is high for a cutter ground/filed back that far.

'Hook' looks fine.

How does it cut?

Philbert

In the first set of pics you weren't getting the fine hight quite right the top plate looked like it was reflecting light, but the pictures aren't the best. Does your camera have a macro setting? Cropping the pics also will get you in closer, if the camera has the resolution.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

'Looks' like I can see light reflecting off of the top plate cutting edge - a sign that the bevel is not sharp.

'Hook' looks fine.

How does it cut?

Philbert
I have not cut with it yet,the depth gauges checked out with the Oregon tool. It does seem odd though.

Looks to me like the rakers are definitely too high, and it seems by the look of the pics. that you are way too high on the tooth when filing. You need to get down in the tooth farther as that will get you underneath the top plate and once you do that you will see a huge difference.That is the common problem I see with those filing guides with the handle and plate on top,they don't allow you to get down in the tooth far enough. Easiest and best solution for anyone who is having filing issues is a Granberg style filing guide. Not only will it make ur chain cut great it will also teach you the proper angles and before you know it you'll be good at free hand as well!

'Hook' looks fine.

How does it cut?

Philbert
Philbert this is the chain I was asking about that had the c2 on the drivers and s on the depth gauges.It came with a bar I got at custom chainsaw parts.It was pretty ruff brand new,inconsistent top plate angles and what not.

Looks to me like the rakers are definitely too high, and it seems by the look of the pics. that you are way too high on the tooth when filing. You need to get down in the tooth farther as that will get you underneath the top plate and once you do that you will see a huge difference.That is the common problem I see with those filing guides with the handle and plate on top,they don't allow you to get down in the tooth far enough. Easiest and best solution for anyone who is having filing issues is a Granberg style filing guide. Not only will it make ur chain cut great it will also teach you the proper angles and before you know it you'll be good at free hand as well!
I have found that to not be the case whatsoever with that type of guide. Getting too much hook is just as bad.

In some of his pics it doesn't look like he's getting into the top plat or working corner at all. Remember the the corner is what does all the actual cutting, the top plate simply lifts and peels the wood. If the corner isn't right the chain isn't going to cut.

I won't comment on the depth gauges, as I can't tell if the tooth has .025" clearance from a picture.[emoji6]

Back