HardHats and chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreEmergencyB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How maney of you guys actully wear hardhats/climbing helmets EVERYDAY unforutlly i can say everyday it doesnt come out

What about chaps been doing trees for about 3 year worked for a couple compainies and never even seen chaps on the truck anyone like to wear them?

I always wear my hardhat until the chipper is off all the hangers are out and all that's left is a little bit of raking. As for the chaps there way to hot for me to wear them all the time. When I've got fire mitigation jobs their always on... or when I just know when I get done running the saw that day my arms will still be vibrating for the next hour or two. On most day to day work chaps are in the climbing bag but only come out if I think I will be doing tons of chainsaw work.

I always wear my helmet. I have never even put a pair of chaps on.

I didn't use to wear a helmet. No one wore them when I was coming up in the trade. I do always wear one now, especially doing storm work. There was a 70 YO man killed here last year by a falling hanger. He had been in business for 40 years. He was lowering a limb for his climber and a hanger shook out and hit him in the head. They said a hard hat would have saved him.

I have never even seen a pair of chaps on the truck of any of the services I have worked for in the past. I have only seen one person ever wear a pair of chaps in the field.

I always wear my helmet. I have never even put a pair of chaps on.

I didn't use to wear a helmet. No one wore them when I was coming up in the trade. I do always wear one now, especially doing storm work. There was a 70 YO man killed here last year by a falling hanger. He had been in business for 40 years. He was lowering a limb for his climber and a hanger shook out and hit him in the head. They said a hard hat would have saved him.

I have never even seen a pair of chaps on the truck of any of the services I have worked for in the past. I have only seen one person ever wear a pair of chaps in the field.

same here,brain bucket keeps me from bumping my noggin.
I keep the saw away from my legs,should be common sense.
They don'y make chaps for your neck, i dont think,,,,,so same thing,,,keep the saw away from your neck.

I always wear a hardhat with ear muffs and a face shield I put chaps on before anything else I actually got my knee cap once two cuts about 1/8 wide and 1 1/2 long it did not hurt a lot but sucked none the less. Duct taped it and went back to work I needed to get the land clear for the site work. I did not think the hospital would be able to stitch it on my knee the 1/8 inch of skin was just gone. Never again people can pick on me all they want about how the safety stuff looks but I could not imagine my little men without a dad.

I don't wear a hard hat unless I'm working directly under the climber and chaps, I wear them sometimes if I think about the stitches that I got a few years ago.

If I'm making more than 3 cuts with the chainsaw I put on chaps. I wear my helmet whenever working under trees or in a tree. I usually just wear muffs if chipping..... Mike

petzl helmet for just climbing and hand saw pruning, hard hat muffs and face sheild for work with the chainsaw and all ways got chaps on with the saw, my worst cuts have been with my silky and i want to keep it that way. i have seen chain saw cuts and they are 1 hell of a mess and very rarely can they be stitched

I'll plead the 5th... Along with the rest on the guys on our crew. If its a windy day and we're doing tree's with hangers I'll put one on, even if nobody else does. The chaps unfortunately stay in the tool box of my truck. The only thing I really use a saw for on the ground is bucking up rounds, I let the other lowly's take care of the brush. In the bucket I really don't need chaps.

Hardhat, safety glasses, and steel toe boots 100% of the time.

Chaps and chainsaw boots 0% of the time.

After eight-years, I've finally got my climber wearing a hardhat. (A rock climbing helmet actually, but I simply cannot get him to wear glasses. Idiot that he is.)

Me and the guy's I work with started wearing helmets when one of the guys pulled a friction saver out of a crotch and beaned himself good. We're pretty sure he had a minor concussion from it. Its saved me some nasty bumps since then. Its not just the guys under the climber that need them. I have not had a pair of chaps on since I started learning to run a saw when I was 13.

Wow kinda suprised with how maney people actully wear hats' all of the time i need to get my self a new climbing helmet i no have a hard hat wit a chin strap that was donated to me its old and uncomfy. as for chaps i didnt think that maney people did i dont think i ever seen anyone in the feild except cpl loggers i know where tem

:givebeer:

I might add this, when I worked for the big company, if you got caught with out your glasses it was one day at home and written warning for first offense and 3 day the second and fired if caught again same for hard except you only got one warning then good bye as for chaps they had the same rules as glasses and running the bucket without you safety belt and lanyard was fired on the spot walk to your car but you could smoke dope allday and get away with it, go figure...

Wow kinda suprised with how maney people actully wear hats' all of the time i need to get my self a new climbing helmet i no have a hard hat wit a chin strap that was donated to me its old and uncomfy. as for chaps i didnt think that maney people did i dont think i ever seen anyone in the feild except cpl loggers i know where tem

:givebeer:

Check out the black diamond helmets. Nice, lightweight, comfy and won't break the bank.

Here's the one I use:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/half_dome.php

I think REI has them for 25% off right now.

i wear a hardhat when felling trees olny.
i always wear gloves (not chainsaw specific)
And alwwwways wear my steel toes.

i should wear chaps but uh. i like to keep the saw as far away all the time. and like ozzy said theres no chaps for your neck.

Back