HardHats and chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, there are people older than both of us here and they are wearing hats. Please have some respect cause if you don't I will do what I just did to the neighbor's kid's boyfriend which was to sneek up on him and her in the dark and open the car door, stick my smiling face in and say " If you drive this piece of crap with this piece of crap turbo loud muffler on it past my house making all sorts of noise I will cut you car into bits with a torch, God help you if you wake my daughter"
You can't, won't and shouldn't even be trying to win. Settle down, "It puts that helmet on"

i got lots of respect i dont knock anyone for wearing one i should get better at it it is um the law i guess, well ima order me a nice comfy helmet and maybe i will wear it more than the piece of :censored: i got now, thats the biggest reason i dont wear it everyday all day,

i got lots of respect i dont knock anyone for wearing one i should get better at it it is um the law i guess, well ima order me a nice comfy helmet and maybe i will wear it more than the piece of :censored: i got now, thats the biggest reason i dont wear it everyday all day,

There was an earlier thread, not to long ago, something about helmets and if people where wearing them. I didn't bother to add any input there, I thought it was a ludicris topic.
Now, I have to say there are times I don't cover my head, in tiny operations no. Even maybe felling an easy tree BUT if there is dead up there I wear it. I have gone to estimates and told the people not to go out there.
Its just any reasoning for not wearing a helmet is just not reasoning. You should read some of my post in the injury forum before responding anymore. Hell, you should read them all. The ones at ******** are worse for some reason I don't know. Its up to you ( although maybe it shouldn't be)and I know better than to argue this helmet point but really, I was just poking at the rationality, its weak.
I hope your new hat finds your head well, you are probably going to look goofy in it, welcome to the club.
And welcome to here as well. Pittsburgh huh? OK, how about these girls you mentioned? Got one for me?

And yeah, I can't , for the life of me, figure how those guys keep them helmets on. Much less not keep breaking the earphones. I mean, don't they get caught up a lot up there. I still can't believe it, its an enigma to me, keeps me wondering all the time- no joke. How in the hell...?

You dont wear a hardhat and chainsaw pants and steel caps, you dont work for me or anywhere around me. The are all the compulsory industry standard here, only hacks and homeowners go without.

You just have to look at the stats on foot, leg and head injurys with arborists and loggers to see why. People claiming they dont need to wear them are like guys trying to argue the world is flat.
It took my dads best mate putting a chainsaw down his face before he would wear a helmet.

To often old dogs learn new tricks only when they see they have to or when its to late.

Hardhat with visor and ear prtection - 100%. (although I usually have ear protection off - and never use it when felling) Visor usually drop down when saw is on - but have safety glasses on under the visor for rest of times. Usually have steel toe/shank safety boots, and switch to chainsaw boots at times - I prefer my regular safety boots as easy to switch to climbing if needed. Chaps - I do have them but do not normally use them - although I have at times for sure and my guys have them on (at least when I am around).

This brings up another pet peeve of mine.

Have you seen the commercial where the girl gets out on the side of the road in a dress, fires up a saw and cuts down a phone pole. No chaps, safety glasses, or hearing protection but she has gloves on? What the hell are the gloves supposed to do?

I see homeowners use chainsaws and they always have gloves on and no other PPE. I always wear my chaps, glasses, helmet, and hearing protection when I'm bucking a log, and I never wear gloves. Funny that a pro wears the correct stuff and the homeowner wears the one thing that will do the least good

This brings up another pet peeve of mine.

Have you seen the commercial where the girl gets out on the side of the road in a dress, fires up a saw and cuts down a phone pole. No chaps, safety glasses, or hearing protection but she has gloves on? What the hell are the gloves supposed to do?

I see homeowners use chainsaws and they always have gloves on and no other PPE. I always wear my chaps, glasses, helmet, and hearing protection when I'm bucking a log, and I never wear gloves. Funny that a pro wears the correct stuff and the homeowner wears the one thing that will do the least good

You are right on there!! Gloves do very little indeed except keep slivers out of soft smooth hands. On the other hand, I have seen some pro's as well who neglect some of the items you listed. (the most common ones left off are hearing protection and chaps from what I have observed)

We wear our hardhats,eye protection,chaps, but one thing i havn't used is hearing protection, but i should. but guys we all should wear our PPE all the time.
and maybe......... just maybe the public will look at us as they should.
I take my proffesion very serious, as well as my safety. I have children to watch grow up.
WE should'nt be getting cut with saws, our wigs split from falling limbs. Or not wearing the proper safety equipment,that like a transmission shop working on a trans. with nothing but a monkey wrench, NOT VERY PROFFESIONAL.

ROCK ON but, BEEEEEE SAFE.:clap:

You dont wear a hardhat and chainsaw pants and steel caps, you dont work for me or anywhere around me. The are all the compulsory industry standard here, only hacks and homeowners go without.

You just have to look at the stats on foot, leg and head injurys with arborists and loggers to see why. People claiming they dont need to wear them are like guys trying to argue the world is flat.
It took my dads best mate putting a chainsaw down his face before he would wear a helmet.

To often old dogs learn new tricks only when they see they have to or when its to late.

+1

You don't wear ppe because people laugh at you or it makes you sweaty? Harden up Princess.

no ppe here. cept i have steel-toed wescos and prescription glasses. i think i already posted here that i occasionally will wear my hat when working with really dead trees or when throwing trees into the woods where something might fly back at you. i'm always the one in the tree or bucket, guys down below have to worry more than i do

The are all the compulsory industry standard here,

Seems the arbs most ardent and condescending about wearing of the hardhats etc all the time are the ones that HAVE to wear them themselves.

Wearing them at appropriate times is sensible and prudent but ANSI cannot legislate the wearing of them "sometimes" so you wear them all the time. They also cannot legislate who wears them where, so a guy planting trees wears them all day just as a green groundy wears them rightfully under a dead takedown.

Watch a professional baseball game for example....batter puts on his helmet to hit.....afterwards he goes in the field without it. In some of you guy's worlds .....every fan in the stadium and hotdog salesmen would wear one the whole game.

(on a sidenote) How would your dad's best friend been protected from a chainsaw hitting him in the face by a hardhat.

Seems the arbs most ardent and condescending about wearing of the hardhats etc all the time are the ones that HAVE to wear them themselves.

Wearing them at appropriate times is sensible and prudent but ANSI cannot legislate the wearing of them "sometimes" so you wear them all the time. They also cannot legislate who wears them where, so a guy planting trees wears them all day just as a green groundy wears them rightfully under a dead takedown.

Watch a professional baseball game for example....batter puts on his helmet to hit.....afterwards he goes in the field without it. In some of you guy's worlds .....every fan in the stadium and hotdog salesmen would wear one the whole game.

(on a sidenote) How would your dad's best friend been protected from a chainsaw hitting him in the face by a hardhat.

ansi approved faceshield ofc :)

ansi approved faceshield ofc :)

The flipdown ones most used are for eye protection and likely wouldn't stop an electric razor.

I had an employee decades ago run a saw into his face. His problem....drug intoxication (proven) so he did not notice the kickback quadrant.

Not another helmet battle!

This gets beat to death pretty frequently around here. I am rather surprised that anyone on this site still has the guts to admit they don't use a helmet. There seem to be way more non-helmet guys around here than there is tree spikers.

What I see in the field among tree services is WAY more tree spikers than there are hard hat wearers. Go figure.

Myself: I love my hard hat. In fact, I have two. The Stihl hat fills in when I loose track of my favorite, the Husqvarna. I wear it when I mow the yard, cause it has my hearing protection and it lets me walk into the bird feeder by accident when I am looking down.

Chaps: No. Not that I have anything against them, it's just that I always know where the chainsaw is, and where it is going. I can't say that for all the things that fall out of trees. Chaps are pretty good in heavy underbrush, but they also bind up your legs on high stepping maneuvers, and they are certainly hotter in the summertime. Curiously, OSHA seems to require chaps for tree service workers, and I almost never see a tree crew wearing them in my area, even on the utility crews.

Hardhat goes on when we get to the job and stays on until chipper is off and all that is left is raking. I've been wearing safety glasses under the face shield of my ground helmet lately as well as in the tree, I just sort of got used to them and don't really notice them anymore unless they are fogging up, then they come off and stay off. I wear chaps for pretty much all ground cutting, if I know I'm going to be on the ground for a while they go on and stay on. Once again, I've sort of gotten used to them, even though they are hot. I cut chaps for the first time ever during the winter, end of the day, tired, chain still spinning and the saw brushed into my thigh. It would have been my leg without chaps, cheap insurance I figure. Steel toe boots most of the time, always if I know I'm going to be staying on the ground.

Got away with one the other day stovepiping down a hung top. It swung back like I expected but faster than I expected and nailed my head hard enough to tear the face shield off the helmet. Without the helmet, that would have hurt a lot more...

Yeah, I'm a bit anal but I don't have a whole lot of scars.

:cheers:

Back