HardHats and chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just to get some folks to think a little more:

Anybody who calls someone else names for using safety equipment, protective equipment, or just plain anything to make a job easier is only trying to justify their backward, ignorant ways.

Think about it: what value is there in taking pride in doing things wrong, dangerous, uncomfortable, or dumb?

If your talking about me I said the post was meant to be humorous. An ill fated attempt at humor I guess. Sorry if someone took it to heart. That was actually told to me one time though. :D

Besides, I don't consider gloves PPE.

tree md: Gloves? I call them pus*sy mittens. I, like Shigo, like to " touch trees". Grow a pair fag*gots.

I like getting intimate with trees too, feeling skin on wood, and never used gloves until I started climbing autumns and winters in the northeast.

When the temps are below freezing or it's a cold rain, it's time for the pus*y mittens. Running saws for three decades has given me the dreaded "white finger syndrome." When I can't feel my fingers, I can't feel the saw or the wood. Also, I hate getting gas and oil in all those hand cuts--they never heal.

Besides, my girlfriend likes it way more better when those smoother hands become pus*y mittens...
Yeah I would say that is a little much there Sugarmaple.
Cheetoschester.jpg

Raymond: Yeah I would say that is a little much there Sugarmaple.

Some puns are just too hard to resist, Ray. I guess it was the guido in me talking...

Raymond: Yeah I would say that is a little much there Sugarmaple.

Some puns are just too hard to resist, Ray. I guess it was the guido in me talking...
Oh you're alright. I can tell you have a few trees under your belt. Welcome aboard :cheers:

I have worn the Atlas gloves in the winter myself but don't like to wear gloves when I climb. I think it causes more risk to the climber. I read about a climber getting his saw trigger pinned because of the gloves he was wearing. He cut himself out of the tree. Can't remember his name but it's the guy who wrote The Tree Climber's Companion.

The p***y mittens comment was a joke. It's what my foreman said to me when I asked him about a pair of gloves on the first construction job I worked pouring concrete at 17. I thought it was funny. :D
M.D. they have some nice gloves now days.
You get in the habit of wearing them, you'd be hooked.
Besides my wife likes my hands smooth and soft.
OH God I am a candy ass huh?:hmm3grin2orange:

M.D. they have some nice gloves now days.
You get in the habit of wearing them, you'd be hooked.
Besides my wife likes my hands smooth and soft.
OH God I am a candy ass huh?:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh I've got three different pairs of gloves. Just don't like climbing in them. Like Maplenan said tho, when it gets cold they sure feel good.

LOL, I had a young guy climbing for me that would break out the fingerless Micheal Jackson gloves when he would climb. I would start singing "Billy Jean is not my lover..." :D

Oh I've got three different pairs of gloves. Just don't like climbing in them. Like Maplenan said tho, when it gets cold they sure feel good.

LOL, I had a young guy climbing for me that would break out the fingerless Micheal Jackson gloves when he would climb. I would start singing "Billy Jean is not my lover..." :D
LOL yeah I wore finger less glove when I was young, working for other guys.
They would give me a hardtime about'em. That's when I referred to them as my magical mittens.

I would want to drop a lead my boss was unsure about. I would tell him I have the best view on the job, it'll be alright.
Then when it was (like always) I gave the credit to my magical mittens.
TreeGuy.jpg

LOL yeah I wore finger less glove when I was young, working for other guys.
They would give me a hardtime about'em. That's when I referred to them as my magical mittens.

I would want to drop a lead my boss was unsure about. I would tell him I have the best view on the job, it'll be alright.
Then when it was (like always) I gave the credit to my magical mittens.
TreeGuy.jpg

Cue up the Michael Jackson. I wear fingerless gloves when it's really cold. $5 Army surplus wool gloves, cut the fingers off, chuck 'em when they're too shredded.

:cheers: (too many of these last night...ouch)

We use these gloves almost all the time now.

FAM_GLOVES_COR-GRIP_MEDIUM_P-3876.jpg

They provide as much protection as Kleenex, but you do keep a good grip on the saw. Especially in the rain. So it's six of one and half-dozen of the other.

Not great for ropping, though.

Interesting.

I wear those self same gloves for climbing. The grip on rope is great and if you cut the fingers off tying knots or opening karabiners is easy.

As to the "never met a good climber that wore gloves" statement, I am good. Not as good as the guys who came 2nd and 3rd at this years state TCC. Who also wear the same gloves......

:buttkick:

Back