Have a chance to buy a locked up 028 WB is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
The AV Super that I kept looks a lot like this one that I sold to a friend with a pair of loops for $220:
View attachment 967745
I've often thought that Stihl should never have discontinued the 028 series of professional saws. Instead, they started pushing plastic clam shells for $100 less for tree service companies to beat up. Crazy in my book.
I agree, but that's how a company stays in business. A classic example is General Motors ending the production of the 283 V8, and Ford ending the 7.3 liter diesel. You couldn't kill um. jmho :cool: OT

Meanwhile, I keep fixing Stihl clam shells that break down because owners need the saws running. So, Stihl is relying heavily on me and hundreds of other mechanics to help keep Stihl in business? Frankly, I don't like that strategy. General Electric once said, "At GE, quality is our most important product."

What’s a running 028 AVEQ worth with an 18” bar and cracked handle. Runs but needs a new trigger handle and some love to be decent again.

with inflation that saw is worth 60 bucks maybe the 75 if its all there and comes with a useable chain and good used bar. Those older saws fetch 300 around here if clean in good shape, add new stickers and it jumps another 50. I think if your looking for your first project to learn on it would be a great one since there are sooo many used parts out there and huge aftermarket support...a complete muffler for one of those saws fetches that asking price on ebay as they are not offered after market and NLA from stihl.

Meanwhile, I keep fixing Stihl clam shells that break down because owners need the saws running. So, Stihl is relying heavily on me and hundreds of other mechanics to help keep Stihl in business? Frankly, I don't like that strategy. General Electric once said, "At GE, quality is our most important product."

Stihl is relying heavily on you NOT repairing them so the owner has to go buy a new Stihl consumer saw off the shelf.

Stihl is relying heavily on you NOT repairing them so the owner has to go buy a new Stihl consumer saw off the shelf.
Pretty sure Stihl makes more money with less work selling cylinders/pistons/carbs to rebuilders since stihl manufactures almost none of the actual parts after designing them and setting quality control requirements. They simply phase out inventory/manufacturing orders when sales of specific model parts drop below a specific threshold for a set period of time. Yea the little indy guys take a big bite out of dealer repair profits in the repair sector but hell the vast majority of dealers can't actually repair stuff thats not a warranty funded parts cannon so they simply use the quotes to sell new saws. This drives the good repair guys to start their own shop and the customers follow only to return for new equipment a decade later. The local stihl dealer is a family run joke, never more than 1 or 2 saws repaired and waiting for pickup, parts guys forget to order your stuff every third order and the idiot owners brother (head parts thrower) is always sitting at the parts counter injecting himself into sales conversations when he should be unemployed. The other stihl dealer 45 minutes away has a higher turnover rate at the parts counter than the county jail's drunk tank toilet and they don't know anything beyond what they can read off the equipment sticker to you but if i call/email/message a part number or list its there in 2 days every time if its not sitting on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back