Heat Chip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you hear about this? I've never heard of such a thing. :msp_confused:

I wonder if whoever you heard this from was pulling your leg... WTF could some chip do to a saw? They don't have fuel injection or anything like that, yet.

HA HA, 30 thousand comedians are out of work and look at what we have here..No seriously. I was talking about how hot my 028 was running at the stihl shop today and the mechanic asked the parts man if he had a chip for it. He looked on the comp. and said he didn't have anymore but he said he would call S&J Small Engines to see if he had any. He called them and they told him they had them in stock. Price is $12.95, said it hooks onto the coil. Going in tomorrow and check, will report back then.

HA HA, 30 thousand comedians are out of work and look at what we have here..No seriously. I was talking about how hot my 028 was running at the stihl shop today and the mechanic asked the parts man if he had a chip for it. He looked on the comp. and said he didn't have anymore but he said he would call S&J Small Engines to see if he had any. He called them and they told him they had them in stock. Price is $12.95, said it hooks onto the coil. Going in tomorrow and check, will report back then.

go back? why so they can laugh at you some more?

Oh, it must be some kind of 'tweak' they do to the coil so it changes something to make the saw run cooler... interesting. How the hell does that work? I know running a saw a bit rich makes it run cooler, as does mixing more oil into the gas. Hmm...

I have never seen anything to that nature but it is technically possible with some kind of ground fault device designed to fail at a certain temperature. Maybe mounted to the cylinder and wired into the ignition system so it would be like flipping the off switch when it gets to hot. If it were some kind of breaker device it would auto reset after the temp drops and the saw would restart.

I am not going back discountthunder, have never been there where they propose to sell the little magic chip. Am going to call them so I can't let them see this stupid ole man when I ask them for it.

Maybe mounted to the cylinder and wired into the ignition system so it would be like flipping the off switch when it gets to hot. If it were some kind of breaker device it would auto reset after the temp drops and the saw would restart.

That'd be handy just as you're about to finish your backcut on a heavy leaner :D

That'd be handy just as you're about to finish your backcut on a heavy leaner :D

Thats why I have Two Husky Ranchers, I was in the middle of the Back cut on a tree that was leaning towards my house, the friggin saw locked up cause I was using outboard motor oil, I had to run down to the box store and buy another (then I learned about AS and lived happily ever after :) )

Thats why I have Two Husky Ranchers, I was in the middle of the Back cut on a tree that was leaning towards my house, the friggin saw locked up cause I was using outboard motor oil, I had to run down to the box store and buy another (then I learned about AS and lived happily ever after :) )

And now look at your sig...

CAD has a lot to answer for ;)

Okay guys, here is the reply I got from the supplier of the "chip":

I do have a chip that will replace the points and condenser if you are having problems with the unit running a short time and then it quits and can't restart for some time. This chip will solve the issue as long as your coil is still good. Sometimes this problem is caused by a bad coil .

Based on your email the chip that I carry does not and will not change any heat issues that you may be having unless they are directly related to ignition misfiring or ignition problems. I do have one in stock and sells for $19.95.
Thanks for your interest and hope my explanation has helped you in some way.

Now, back to my original question which brought so much sarcastic remarks, anyone heard of this chip????? Thanks guys.

Now, back to my original question which brought so much sarcastic remarks, anyone heard of this chip?????

No. But we're always open to new technology. :msp_wink: Seriously though, if your saw is running hot, there are several things it could be. All are easily fixed with minor adjustments...I'll let the motor-heads explain them to you.

And, if your dealer can't figure out why your saw is running hot...find another dealer. Soon.

Last edited:
They are trying to sell you an atom or nova chip to replace your points and condenser. It converts your ignition system to electronic vs the points system u have now. This thread brushes on it.

No. But we're always open to new technology. :msp_wink: Seriously though, if your saw is running hot, there are several things it could be. All are easily fixed with minor adjustments...I'll let the motor-heads explain them to you.

And, if your dealer can't figure out why your saw is running hot...find another dealer. Soon.

Thanks Gologit but I solved my problem, this was brought up at a visit to the shop for the tank breather tube and the conversation was carried over into several problems with saws with the mechanic as my original problem was overheating. This was my first visit to this dealer. Thanks for your reply....

The chip would also come with a Wal-Mart Poulan for backup. It would be good for ''John Q Public'' just out cutting some firewood and does not the warning signs of a overheating saw. Now if a proferssional cutter overheats his saw it was either by choice, like if he was in a position where he could not stop cutting, or he did not heed the warnings the saw was giving. I would suspect that a person who runs the same saw day in and day out would be able to notice if his saw was running hotter than normal.

Latest posts

Back