Help: 044 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grudy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey Guys,
Alright got an 044 today for free from a friend, the saw starts with a little bit of effort and idles okay, but when I rev it up it seems the hit a plateau and after a 3-5 seconds it will rev higher. I've tried adjusting the carb, it hasn't changed the issue. I did a compression test and the best I can get 95psi, this seems very low to me but again the saw runs and idles okay. So I tore it down and the piston and cylinder are clean no marks at all. So this is where i need your help, should I put in some new rings and new base gasket, or leave the rings and used gasket maker to make the base gasket. Would the saw act this way because of the low compression?
Thanks For your help in advance

I suspect that your compression tester is not accurate. Most engines will not even run at 95 PSI, and the idle is the first thing to deteriorate due to low compression. Check that tester on a known good running engine and see what you get.

I would have checked the fuel filter and inlet screen in the carb before I yanked the top end off.

Does your compression tester have the Schrader valve in the end of the hose?? A saw is not like a car it has very little compression stroke and if it has to keep filling the hose you reading will be low.

Don't waste any more time on it, box it up and send it to me, I'll pay the shipping and $20 for your troubles :D

I thought the same thing, but I get 160 psi on my 350, so I think the tester is okay

Sounds like the tester is working which muddies the waters a bit. That saw should be showing all kinds of "issues" with that compression????

I'd say perform the compression test again just to be sure.

Anyway not really your initial issue, check the fuel filter and fuel line in the tank and the inlet screen in the carb or possibly the tank vent.

Sounds strange that the compression is so low if the J&P are ok.

Try a new ring in the top and see if it brings it up any, although it may have other issues. A new metering diaphram couldn't hurt either. Let us know how it goes.
John

Last edited:
While your in there, you could do some basic mods, like take 1mm off the intake side of the piston (bottom of intake skirt) with a flat file and use a thinner base gasket, along with a muffler mod.
John

Last edited:
ok, just to make things weirder, after I put saw the back together without really doing anything other than sand blasting the spark plug and wiping the jug with a cloth, I get 100 psi, the saw fails the (hold it up by the starter rope test). But it starts and runs fine. I did however just notice that the bar is a 25 inch HARD NOSE, do you think that that might have something to do the way it plateaus and then revs to max?

ok, just to make things weirder, after I put saw the back together without really doing anything other than sand blasting the spark plug and wiping the jug with a cloth, I get 100 psi, the saw fails the (hold it up by the starter rope test). But it starts and runs fine. I did however just notice that the bar is a 25 inch HARD NOSE, do you think that that might have something to do the way it plateaus and then revs to max?
The hardnose bar could pull the motor down somewhat especially if the chain is run too tight. This could be the cause of lower compression, especially if the saw was horsed thru the wood throughout the life of the saw. Is the clutch worn and burned at all?
John

Ok so here's where I sit, with the bar and chain off the saw runs great everything seems normal, but the compression is still only 100 psi, so I'm thinking that i will get a sprocket tipped bar tomorrow and see if that well help.

If you're truly only getting 100psi for compression and the cylinder and piston look good I would put a set of good rings in it. I would also do a vacuum and pressure test on it before you tear it down again.

alright here's the update, after removing the base gasket and replacing it with high temp gasket maker, and putting a new 24 inch sprocket tip bar on it, the saw runs like a beast, very power, revs great, idle as it should. Now the confusing part is that after a number of test hot and cold, the best compression I got was 105 psi. I'm not super worried here because the saw seems normal, I had a friend(who has a 044) run it, and he said it feels stronger than his and sounds great. So should I just cut away until problems appear?

Latest posts

Back