Help ID a Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
A buddy of mine wants me to sell this saw for him. eBay, craigslist, classifieds, etc. it doesn't matter.

Anyway, he told me that it's a 075. I want to make sure before I tell someone wrong.

9y8eva3y.jpg

e7yqy4uz.jpg

e4y9yjen.jpg

amepudut.jpg

naju9ytu.jpg

It's either an 075 or 076. I believe they look the same. Some experts will hopefully weight in soon. If you email Stihl they can give you some info based on the serial number.

Highly unlikely.......but you never know.QUOTE]

Actually, I've had very good luck with emailing them a serial number. If you submit a "technical question" to the following link:

Contact STIHL

Provide the serial number and ask if they can tell you the model & age. The best answer I've received was off of a more recent saw (MS660) where they provided the actual date of manufacture. The 'worst' answer I've received was from an old 090 where they verified the model number and gave me a year range it would have been built (1980-1984).

The 076 starter cover is different and the oil fill hole is a side fill not top fill. the 076 has a chainbrake too. You either have a 075 or maybe even an 050 or 051. I think it's probably a 075.

Thanks for the link, I just sent them a email. We will see how long it takes to get back with me if they do.

Joey

The 076 starter cover is different and the oil fill hole is a side fill not top fill. the 076 has a chainbrake too. You either have a 075 or maybe even an 050 or 051. I think it's probably a 075.

050/051 didnt have a manual oiler, the 075/076 does.

Also, I think all of the 075's had the fairbanks-morse style starter but I am not certain.

I was going to wait a while before posting this but I don't want to mess with you guys. After seeing stihls reply, I measured the bore using the highly sophisticated and highly accurate WD-40 straw method. I pulled the muffler and inserted the straw in the bore and closed the piston on it. Here is the photo of the results as well as some pics of the piston.

e6ezeju4.jpg

gu4adahu.jpg

ru9y4a2a.jpg

A buddy of mine wants me to sell this saw for him. eBay, craigslist, classifieds, etc. it doesn't matter.

Anyway, he told me that it's a 075. I want to make sure before I tell someone wrong.

9y8eva3y.jpg

The oil filler cap on the 075 is on top, On the 076 its on the side.

attachment.php

I don't see a manual oil pump on any of these 051's

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back