Help me buy my first good saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleath

Cliff Leath
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking around here for the last two weeks, reading and trying to learn as much as I can. I currently own two saws, an old Homelite Super 2 and a Pouland Pro with an 18 inch bar. The Homelite my dad bought in 1979 and the Pouland I bought about 5 years ago.

We moved to the country about 2 years ago,,,these saws arent cutting it, pardon the pun. We have 100 acres that is almost all woods. Our home is one one acre with alot of trees as well. I need a good saw that will handle cleaning up limbs etc. I do cut down a few trees.

I am currently looking at 2 saws. The Husquvarna 435 and the Echo CS-400. I looked at a few Stihls but cant remember the exact model number.
I was very impressed with the Echo, It just feels more solid than the others. Being a mechanic I really like the ability to get to the spark plug and I love the airfilter on the Echo.

I am more than likely going to get the Echo, we have a dealer here that really seems to know what they are doing, they have been in business since the 1940's.

Any other suggestions? I want this to be the saw that makes me appreciate chain saws...instead of wanting to blow them up.

Cliff

If you have 100 acers of woods I would not look at anything less than a 70cc pro saw. I'm not really brand loyal so here is a few suggestions of ones that have always worked real good for me, Stihl 046mag, Husky372xp,
Husky385xpg, and the Husky 288xp. Some of these will have to be found used but in using these to cut a fair amount of firewood for myself and others they have all run great and were tough as a tank. Just some food for thought.

thanks for the advice...not sure a pro saw is in need...I dont plan on cutting these trees for some time...it was clear cut 25 years ago. I will use it mostly for clearing some of the overgrowth.... I will be waiting for more suggestions...

Cs 400 is a wee bit bigger then my 370. I hear its an awesome saw, dead reliable, and great build quality. They also love to be muffler modded, they will scream after that. If you search there is a few threads talking about the Cs 400 and its muffler mods.

Btw what part of Tx you from?

Hey man, if the Echo is the saw you want, just go get it. Don't let anyone talk you out of whats's best for you. You are the one using it.

I recommend you get the saw you like best. It is a good saw. Echo is not for me, but alot of people run them.

I would recommend a bigger Echo though. Maybe 530?

Klay,

thanks for the advice...the 400 sure feels solid..i like the handle and other things...it just feels good in my hands. I am east of Paris Texas..

Cliff

Klay,

thanks for the advice...the 400 sure feels solid..i like the handle and other things...it just feels good in my hands. I am east of Paris Texas..

Cliff

O ok im out in Marble Falls.

Ya you couldnt go wrong with getting a bigger the cs530 or the cs600p are also great saws from what i hear. Today i fell 2 dead oaks that were about 10-13 inches around, my 370 did great. Just something to think about. Altho i would love to have a bigger saw the funds arent there to rebuild my husky yet.

caleath

This forum is not the best place to ask for advise on chainsaws because our brains are altered and biased towards certain models! :hmm3grin2orange:

I think you need a 70 cc saw without looking at smaller models because sooner rather than then later you will realise you will need one. If you would like to acquire a new saw I suggest models like Stihl 460, Husqvarna 372, Jonsered 2171 or Dolmar 7900. Even yesterday I was at the saw dealer and you should have seen the smile a Stihl 441 powerhead put in my face! :D If you do not mind to buy a used saw, you can buy models like Sthil 044, Sthil 046 or stihl 440. Some of the joy of buying cheapo used saws is to gut them to pieces and reassemble them ported ! :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Dude, you want advise but in your head you want a little echo. Let me tell you again. YOU NEED A BIGGER SAW!!! I dont give a flip which brand. The people on this site know what they are talking about. Good luck man!

Good having ya posting!!

Echo makes a decent saw. No flies on 'em, and if ya have a great dealer nearby that you trust, even better.

Just take a serious look at what you are going to be cutting though.
If 12" and smaller stuff is all you will be getting into 90% of the time, a 50cc saw will muddle through but you'll be working on the larger stuff.

If you are gonna be getting into 20" stuff more than once in a while, start looking at 60cc, or better yet the 70's, and run your Poulan and super2 for the smaller limbing type stuff.

There IS no headache like bucking both sides of a stem all the way up, rolling it, and then snipping it all day long.
Ya buy a tool to save work and time. Buy enough tool to do what ya need and then some.

No Bashing on Echo, but look at the Stihl line up again, and ask to see a 361 and a 441. Spark plug is protected but easy to get to, and the new Stihls have the Husqvarna style air filtration set up, that keeps the filter cleaner, longer.
And as a Mechanic, you'll appreciate bieng able to take the whole thing apart with just a T-27.

Just guessing here, but have you run an echo yet?
How about one of the new Stihls?
Ask the dealers, and have a log rolling around in the bed of the truck in case they cop out and say they don't have anything to cut.;)

Best of luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

hey man,

get a husky 445, 200 bucks on ebay buy it now all the time. 45cc 18 inch, its 2 steps up from the 435 and its cheaper! i got one last week.

For your application

Not knowing the budget, the 2 saws I would recommend are the Husky 359 and the Dolmar PS 6400 or Makita 6401. Neither is outstanding one particular task but handle just about all wood cutting, chores with the exception of the biggest trees, well.

If the budget is less, the two tried and true saws are the Stihl 290 and the Husky 455 Rancher.

Take Care

Get the CS400, your land was clear cut 25 years ago so your not dealing with many big trees. Tuned right and muff modded the Cs400 saws just as fast as 50cc home owner saws. I just got a Stihl 029 in nice shape that just needed to be tuned, I let him use my CS400 for a week and he wants to trade me even up now. What he likes are the light wieght, power and easy starting. Another good dealer story, he had the 029 to 2 of them (it's really hard to find a GOOD dealer, best to learn how to tune and fix them yourself) and they couldn't get it running right. It took me 11 pulles to get it started the first time, set extremly lean. Now after proper tuning it starts in 2 or 3 pulls and cuts good for a 029, this one is set up with .325 chain which really helps on this saw. Most of the 029 290 Stihl saws I've run had 3/8 chain which make them doggy. Far as 70cc saws go they are nice for the big stuff which you don't have but they wiegh a lot more and can wear you out fast if used for limbing, I have enough of them but don't use them much. Most times it's a 50 cc or that little CS400. Steve

Last edited:
Budget?

My suggestion would be to step into ONE nice 50 or 60CC saw and keep the old saws to back you up. You can always buy the second new saw later after you have learned the likes and dislikes of your new saw.

i second the 445 suggestion if you insist on that size saw especially if you can get one for $200. i've had one for a couple years and have no complains. probably the best air filter setup i've seen, never gets dirty. i have bigger pro saws but i still love this little saw and anything under 18" it will make short work of.

Latest posts

Back