Help me choose a new top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Hi all, can i have some help from those that have experience in using top handle saws to help me choose a new one for work when i'm in the cherry picker or climbing. Everyone over here swears by the MS200T but it is too expensive and i can't justify the cost over other saws. I am looking at the Dolmar PS-3410 TH TLC. Also the Echo CS-341. I can get the Echo shipped to me for just the cost of the Dolmar. Is the Dolmar that much better to be worth the extra cost? What about the Huski 338XPT or T435? I really like the Dolmar saws i have and am looking to get a shiny new PS-421 as soon as i can, but am open to other brand suggestions. Please dont turn this into another Stihl vs Huski vs the world debate. I would enjoy it but it can turn ugly. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I am looking for hands on experience in pro's and con's of these saws. Also experience in reliability and maintenance, as i will be doing most if not all the servicing and repairs. Thank You. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_thumbsup.gif

I raced a (Bogaboo I think his name is) with my 200T against his Jonsered top handle saw and it was an impressive top handle saw. It seemed to have no problem running with the 200T and I think it cost like half.

Might give them a look

I think if it is a tool you will be using daily, it would behoove you to spend the extra money and get the MS200T. I have a "lesser" top handle saw but I only climb on an occasional basis. If I did it daily or even weekly, I would spring for the MS200T (or I guess now the MS201T)

Do you get paid by production or by the hour? If by the hour, it may not matter that much.

Are you looking to buy local or have a saw shipped from th US? If I were going to pay $120+ in shipping and fees, it would be for the best top handle saw, and we all know what that is.

Echo cs 341

I have used still and echo top handles and i prefer my cs341. It is a very well built machine, and with a muff mod it has plenty of power. Not as light as the stihls but easier to work on imo. I also have a cs360t but dont care for the layout. The 341 looks like hell from my abuse but runs great and when it does die i will go out and buy another one.

I have used still and echo top handles and i prefer my cs341. It is a very well built machine, and with a muff mod it has plenty of power. Not as light as the stihls but easier to work on imo. I also have a cs360t but dont care for the layout. The 341 looks like hell from my abuse but runs great and when it does die i will go out and buy another one.

I will be buying my saw from the US. I can get the Echo CS-341 shipped for $60. Plus i can buy it for well under Retail and it's brand new. Seems like a good deal to me. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/biggrinbounce2.gif

I won't be using it day in day out. If i was i would look straight to the Stihl MS201T or Huski 338XPT. I guess i will be using it a few times a week but probably some weeks more than others. I can buy the Echo CS341 with shipping for $330. That is half of a MS201T. I'm sorry but i can't be convinced that the stihl would outlast 2 of these Echo's. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_unsure.gif
I know the echo saws are not the most ball tearing saws out there, but i know if you buy a pro orientated model they will work well and go the distance. I have sold echo's before and used them a few times and liked the way they just do their job.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Dolmar PS3410 TH or TLC? It's kinda close to the Echo in price and if it's a better saw i would be interested to add another Dolmar to the herd. I have heard good things about it but have never had my hands on one. Makita over here do not carry it or any decent top handles for that matter. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

Last edited:
Your right, the 200T wont outlast 2 echo's, it will outlast 3...lol...:laugh:

The 200T is by far the best "T" handle saw out there hands down.
I own my own business and climb tons of tree's a year, the 200T has not let me down.

My buddy has a echo (im not saying there bad saws) but lacks in the power department, boggs down in the cut.

If you are going to use a T handle just once in a while, then go with the other brands, If using more than once a week go with the 200T...its worth the money, it will pay off in the long run.

If you can get the Dolmar 3410 TH for about the price of the Echo 341...DO IT..!!!
Forget the TLC model...just un-needed crap waiting to break..!!
:cheers:
J2F

can tell ya here and now, buying "two-for-one" cheapos over the effortless 200T is a mistake, the Echos and their like are a million miles off the pace compared, you'll be using twice as much energy to do half as much work. Run a 200T after running the various "two-for-one" sh!tters out there and within 5 seconds you'll see how yawning the gap really is..... LOL

can tell ya here and now, buying "two-for-one" cheapos over the effortless 200T is a mistake, the Echos and their like are a million miles off the pace compared, you'll be using twice as much energy to do half as much work. Run a 200T after running the various "two-for-one" sh!tters out there and within 5 seconds you'll see how yawning the gap really is..... LOL

Do I hear a Echo on here again? Same crap different day. Steve

Never had a Echo or any saw to a dealer for 30 years or so except for a 610 Mac where they charged me $55 to put in a $5 carb kit, learned my lesson about dealers fast. Steve

Ya, I had my HT101 pole saw at the dealer and told them to just fix the extenion bar....they ended up doing a full service and charged me $90...ouch

Choose the PS3410TH

If you're going to use it occasionally the choose the 3410. It is a really good saw, with good power though not in the same league as the 200T. The Stihl is snappier and has a mag case. It also costs almost double. If you're going to get the use out of it then its certainly worth it. Otherwise the 3410 IMO will do nicely.

Ya, I had my HT101 pole saw at the dealer and told them to just fix the extenion bar....they ended up doing a full service and charged me $90...ouch

I learned about them also I bought a new carb it did not work right he said bring the saw in so we can check it before he gives me a new one and next thing you know they are working on the saw replacing parts and charging me 144.00:angry2:

Hi all, can i have some help from those that have experience in using top handle saws to help me choose a new one for work when i'm in the cherry picker or climbing. Everyone over here swears by the MS200T but it is too expensive and i can't justify the cost over other saws. I am looking at the Dolmar PS-3410 TH TLC. Also the Echo CS-341. I can get the Echo shipped to me for just the cost of the Dolmar. Is the Dolmar that much better to be worth the extra cost? What about the Huski 338XPT or T435? I really like the Dolmar saws i have and am looking to get a shiny new PS-421 as soon as i can, but am open to other brand suggestions. Please dont turn this into another Stihl vs Huski vs the world debate. I would enjoy it but it can turn ugly. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I am looking for hands on experience in pro's and con's of these saws. Also experience in reliability and maintenance, as i will be doing most if not all the servicing and repairs. Thank You. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_thumbsup.gif

No need to choose Stihl MS 200 T all the way:clap::clap::clap:

Back