Help me choose a new top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right, the 200T wont outlast 2 echo's, it will outlast 3...lol...:laugh:

There is always a wise guy around somewhere http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/biggrin.png

But seriously i would probably be happy with the Echo for a couple of years but never know what i am missing by the sounds of it. There is a 338XPT in good low hour used condition and seller will ship to me. Anyone want to jump in and tell me anything about this Huski?? I've heard a lot about the MS201T so how about some orange fans chime in. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

I might pass on the echo because it is really cheap (cost) I have used them before and have no issues with their quality but like i said they are not the most powerful saws, by a long shot, i have ever used in same cc class.

I can't really afford the cost of a Ms201T right now, but need a new saw in my hands before February comes around. I am leaning towards the Dolmar PS3410 TH. Like i said i have had no problems with any of my Dolmars and i use them at least 3-4 days a week. I would get the standard saw and not the TLC tool-less model as Tallguys said it is just something else to break. I have used the Huski "e" saws with the tooless system many times and i though it ok for homeowners but i didn't care for it as two bar-nuts some elbow grease and a T-wrench are more secure any day. Is the standard 3410 still available? I heard dealers are replacing them with the TLC model but surely there will still be plenty around. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_confused.gif

As far as the Jonsered goes, thanks for the suggestion, but dealers over here are non-existent as far as i know. At least with Dolmar i can go through Makita if i need parts that i can't source myself.

What about the STIHL MS 192T? I have had my hands on one in my local dealer but never used one. Felt nice and well balances with the 14" bar.

Reason i'm asking is that there is one in very good nick on ebay and i am keeping an eye on it because the seller will ship at a cheap rate to me.

I know it hasn't got the power of a MS200T, but when it won't be used 24/7 and against the Dolmar 3410 what do you reackon? Which would be the way to go? http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_unsure.gif

What about the STIHL MS 192T? I have had my hands on one in my local dealer but never used one. Felt nice and well balances with the 14" bar.

Reason i'm asking is that there is one in very good nick on ebay and i am keeping an eye on it because the seller will ship at a cheap rate to me.

I know it hasn't got the power of a MS200T, but when it won't be used 24/7 and against the Dolmar 3410 what do you reackon? Which would be the way to go? http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_unsure.gif

I had an 019T and LOVED that saw! Did everything I asked it to and NEVER let me down in the 10 years I owned it. If the 192 is anything similar which I think it's the same saw just newer version, I would get the 192 for occasional use and cost savings.

I have a 192t, and use it quite a bit. Its not a bad saw, and works well on small stuff, good palm tree saw for me. If you need to cut quickly through larger wood, it falls well short of the mark though. It just lacks power in bigger stuff. I still like mine, however I just bought a busted up 200t to fix and use as well. I dont think it will let you down in longevity, just wont impress with its power.

The 192T is basically nothing more than a MS180, a cheap homeowner saw. The 019 is one of the most poorly designed saws Stihl ever sold. You have to take most of the saw apart just to get to the carb. BTW, they're not built anything alike.

Last edited:
The 192T is basically nothing more than a MS180, a cheap homeowner saw. The 019 is one of the most poorly designed saws Stihl ever sold. You have to take most of the saw apart just to get to the carb. BTW, they're not built anything alike.

Thanks for the clarification.

I never would've thought..I had never had a reason to take mine apart. All I ever did was clean the filter and it ran like a timex..lol

I can't speak directly to the 192T except to take what others here on AS are saying. I have had both an MS200T and an 020T, currently a 3410TH. The Stihls have more "get up and go", no question. And handle very nicely as well. But I use my top-handle every now and then and the 3410TH does all its asked, feels good and is reliable. Also saves you a bit of change. :msp_wink:

Yeah i figured it would be more than a bit under the power of a 200t. Mostly i will be in the bucket doing some limbing or occasionally climbing with it. I will almost 100% be cutting eucalyptus and Aussie hardwoods and sometimes branches/trunks well over the 14" bar length. So might be better to get the 3410 and get the 200t at a later date so all you Stihl fans can convert me finally. :laugh:

Any of these top handles will work well for you. However, avoid the 019T like the plague. If you happen across one, don't look at it directly and slowly back away. Hopefully you will come out of the encounter with your sanity intact.

Yeah i figured it would be more than a bit under the power of a 200t. Mostly i will be in the bucket doing some limbing or occasionally climbing with it. I will almost 100% be cutting eucalyptus and Aussie hardwoods and sometimes branches/trunks well over the 14" bar length. So might be better to get the 3410 and get the 200t at a later date so all you Stihl fans can convert me finally. :laugh:

Do it right the first time it is cheaper and better in the long run :laugh:

Bought my 200T used 6 years now & it's only let me down when it had a dull chain. I run it every day & it always starts up & runs great. Balance is good, fits nicely inside a skid steer/4 wheeler/truck/ext & is nice to lug around the deep woods. I'd recommend a 200T to anyone needing a good top handle saw. I was the first one in my area to buy a 192T when they came out & ran that hard & it never let me down either. Sold it to a buddy & he still runs it & loves it. The 192T is a great saw but it's more of a "trim" saw then a take down/limbing saw.
Never run the Echos so nothing good/bad to say about em. Usually not a fan of something that you can buy at home depot though. If I had to get a new saw I wouldn't be scared of the Husky 338. Seen a few of em take a lot of abuse & hold up good.

"I was the first one in my area to buy a 192T when they came out & ran that hard & it never let me down either. Sold it to a buddy & he still runs it & loves it. The 192T is a great saw but it's more of a "trim" saw then a take down/limbing saw".

Yep...It is what it is..and nothing more...BUT...it IS a great saw for it's designed purpose.

Many "knock" this saw...but ya pull the muffler screen (as with 200T) it really does very well.
:cheers:
J2F

There are a lot of options,including rear handled saws can be used for limbing climbing and bucket work,too.I see it alot here.Could be more cost effective.Lik a smaller pro model saw,or shop around for a good used one.

I've had a half dozen Echo top handles, and still have a CS-300 and CS-360T. The 300 is a great little saw, but pathetically underpowered, at least compared to the CS-360T. The CS-341 is the same basic unit as the CS-300 with a few more cc's. They are not overly impressive for power, but would work fine for what you are wanting a top handle saw for.

My CS-360T is bulky for a top handle, but the engine makes great power and it cuts fast, rev limited at 14,500rpm's. The little CS-300 just grunts away, with it's little reed valve engine. Dead solid reliable, and they get the job done just fine, if you aren't in a big hurry.

Despite the nonsense you read on occassion about Echo products being sub-standard, and burning up P/C's etc, I have NEVER found this to be the case (you do have to have enough common sense to correctly tune one, as they are pretty lean right out of the box to pass emissions). I have a string trimmer with a zillion hours on it, garden tiller, and have owned quite a few chainsaws. Some of the chainsaws are excellent, others just OK, but they are not low quality and going to wear out or fail any quicker than anything else.....Cliff

Last edited:
Yep...It is what it is..and nothing more...BUT...it IS a great saw for it's designed purpose.

Many "knock" this saw...but ya pull the muffler screen (as with 200T) it really does very well.
:cheers:
J2F

I pulled the screens out of mine & a slight tweak on the carb & it did make a noticeable difference. If anything else they sound a lot better. :clap:

Just bucket work?

I don't know a thing about them, but when I see guys around here up in a bucket, any of the big name companies or utility guys, they are using some sort of hydraulic saw, not a gas saw. I have never used a hydraulic saw, so I just don't know if they are any good or not or if there is anything out there to compare to the stihl 200t in terms of lightweight, speed, power, etc, just wondering if you had thought of a hydraulic saw as an option.

Latest posts

Back