Help Need New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABIDAD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a good new chainsaw. I want a saw that I can depend on and one that will last. I would like an enexpensive pro model (I think). I am leaning toward the john deere cs-56 based on some of what I have read here. Any other ideas? I really don't want to spend over 350.
Thanks

Last edited:
Good saws in that price range would be:

JD CS56 or EFCO 956 (4.1Hp 12.6 lb)

Husqvarna 55 (3.4Hp 11.4lb), 350, 351 (3.1Hp 10.6lb)

Makita (Dolmar) DSC-540 (3.0 Hp 10.4lb)

The JD has the most power and best power/weight in the bunch, and a magnesium crankcase. Lacks some of the niftier features.

The Husky 55 and 350 are good saws with good parts availability/dealer support. The 351 is the same but with the magnesium crankcase. The 350, and especially the 351, have nice user conveniences. These saws are a little easier on fuel than the JD.

The Makita comes highly recommended, but I have no experience with them and parts avail may not be as good.

The Stihl 029 is in your price range, but I would take any of the others over it.

Email me and I can suggest some places to get good prices.

Last edited:
List price on a Stihl 026 at my local dealer is $399. He's got wiggle room, it could be had for about $370 I'd bet.
10 years of pro use is about when these saws start showing their strengths! Ask a pro tree company that runs Stihls how long a typical Stihl lasts. Most of the other saws mentioned here might be stronger (and heavier!) but for a great smaller/mid-size this would be my choice. :cool:

029 is junk, ok for accasional use. Last guy I worked for bought one new, I gave it to the landscape crew for cutting shrubs and roots within a week!

If you're locked into $350 you can get a Husky 55 out the door for ~$325, good saw. Don't know about the stihl's but if your like me, 25% over budget is about right. I've seen that B51 at Bailey's...I don't know dude, it may be a cutter, but solo needs to hire a IE, know what I mean. (real ugly saw) I don't know your use, but Echo definetly has saws in that price range, and maybe John Deere? Good Luck

Thanks for the help fellas. I am still not sure but leaning towards the JD. Got to admit I do like the green and I don't need a tractor...so

Like treeclimber said, the 026 is a fine midsize that will give tou plenty of hours. I like it a bunch.
That Bailey's saw (as mentioned in earlier posts) is actually a Solo 651SP (3.6hp and 10.7lbs.) good price too.
I must be missing something here. What's all the fuss over the Deere CS 56 about? Seems awful heavy for a 4.1hp saw and a name that has all but chased saw jockeys away.

CS-56 (Efco 956) 4.1hp, 12.6lbs. How 'bout drop 2lbs???
Solo 651 (not the SP) 4.0hp, 10.7lbs.
I like this one a whole bunch if you haven't figured yet.

Another good one is the Shindaiwa 488, 10.1 lb, 3.5 hp.

As well, the new Solo 650, 9.9 lb, 3.3 hp!!

The Efco 962C , is the same body as the 56, but weighs in at 12.1 (the Deere 62 is 12.4, either different materials, or inaccurate figures. 4.7 hp!!!!

Priced under $400, that is a great deal, just lousy dealer network

Makita parts are no problem. They're actually easier to get then Stihl due to Makita's wide parts/service network.

Originally posted by TonyM

The Makita comes highly recommended, but I have no experience with them and parts avail may not be as good.

As I said, I have no experience with them!!!!!!!LOL

As far as the JD CS56, the question was, what's a good saw that can be bought for no more than $350. I do think the Bailey B-51 is a winner there as well (overlooked that one!) If the question had been what's the best saw for no more than $400, the answer would be different.

So why is the Efco 2lbs lighter than the JD? I thought they were the same saw? Where can I get an Efco? I will check the Bailey out as well. I am considering going up to $400 now since the answers are leading me there anyway. LOL
Thanks
PS keep it coming I am listening intently!

Just checked out the Bailey's and it weighs in at 13.9lbs? How is this better due to the fact that the JD/Efco has more hp for the same weight?

all right be patient just did more research and the efco weighs in at 12.1lbs without the chain and bar and the baileys at 10.7 but with the chain and bar (which I will use it with) they quote pretty similar weights at 13.9 for baileys and 14 for JD/Efco

Somethings funny with the weights, unless one of the saws has some lightweight toy bar or something. not much weight diff among bars. the two saws are in a different class anyhow, power and displacement wise.

Published weight figures have always bugged me. Sometimes you can find the same unit listed at different weights in different fliers. This is not just on saws, but on all power equipment it seems. It can be difficult to explain this to a customer. The same goes for power ratings. I have seen some brands change engine decals to get a little more horse power.

I have had both saws in my hands, and you will notice the Solo (B-51) to be significantly lighter. However, the 956 will outcut a Solo 651 professional, so I'm sure it would eat the 651SP (B-51) for lunch. Power to weight ratio between the two is about even.

Thanks Tony. I am still leaning toward the 962 or the cs-62. I am not having much luck finding a place that carries the 962 on the internet or locally for that matter though. I really like the faster cutter though. I won't be climbing (ever) with my saw. Not a pro and don't feel like falling out of a tree with it in tow.

The Efco's seem to cut as well as anything in their size class, and better than most. Pricing is good, and they are a tough saw. They have been around for years as "Olympyk". The Jonsered Pro 35 is made by them as well. Some of the climbers here are starting to use the 940's to get away from the top handle jobs.
The only drawback to the Efco may be that it is a touch heavier than some.
Contact Tilton Equip. 1-800-447-1152 if you can't find a dealer. If all else fails let me know and we'll see if we can help.
Mack

Latest posts

Back