Help Need New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
956/CS56 vs 651

TonyM,
Tell us more about putting the 956/CS56 up against the 651Pro.
I have never run a Deere or EFCO saw but I have mucho hours behind my 651. I have handled a Deere CS56 and it is way heavy for what it is. On paper, (I know that's a very unreliable way to rate saws but, when that's all ya got...) the 956/CS56 seems to lack in the power/weight comparison. The EFCO and the DEERE are published at two different weights so I just averaged them.

956/CS56: 4.1hp, 12.35lbs. (12.1 and 12.6 ave)
651Pro: 4.0hp, 10.7lbs.

That's 13.3% more weight for one tenth more hp????? Even higher if you go with a Deere! That's a bunch when you're cuttin' all day. Its overall dimensions are larger as well.

Have you put these two against each other in a log? I have a hard time believing that Deere outcuts the 651Pro seeing I have had it head to head w/the best 3ci saws out there and nothing has compared yet. (Close but not quite). Let me know will ya?
Thanks

I've run both saws (CS56, Solo 651), but not in any controlled situations. From what I used them, it is very close. Where the Deere pulls ahead is in the bigger logs. It, afterall, has 5cc more displacement, and a touch more Hp. That translates into more torque over the RPM range for the Deere. I'm not trying to stir things up too much, because I really like my 651, but I don't think the 651SP would be any match for the CS56. It's the 651SP (Bailey's B-51) and CS56 that have nearly identical power/weight ratios. If I was cutting frequently, the 651 is a great, light, powerful, saw. If I'm an occasional user looking for a good buy, I like the CS56 over saws like the Stihl 029 for the same money. If I was looking for an all around saw for frequent use, I certainly wouldn't pass over the CS62, however. I guess I could explain it like this: I used to have an Stihl 026 and an 029. The 026 will outcut the 029 when RPM's is all that matters. As soon as you begin to push a bigger cut, the 029 edges out the 026, but not by much. The CS56 power feels really similar to the 029, but with more of it, and in a better quality package.

Last edited:
Tony I saw that site I meant one that actually carried the Efco line not the line they make for JD. Just trying to see their own product too.

Well I did it. Ordered the CS-62 from Chainsaws4u. I will let you know how it works when I get it. Decided to step up to MORE POWER for the same weight.

I'd really like to here how you like the saw, especially compared to other saws you've run. I don't think you'll be sorry.

ABIDAD, did you get your saw yet? Probably the first thing you'll want to do is throw away that chain and buy a Stihl RS chain for it. I wasn't real impressed with the JD chain that came with the CS56 I bought. It wasn't even sharp! Keep us up to date on how the new saw works for you.

Tony

Tony the saw just came and while installing the chain I discovered the front bolt for the blade was stripped. I know I didn't do it because I kept my hand over the nut and not out on the end of the tool. I don't posses superhuman strength either. So needless to say I am not pleased so far.

Was it the stud that was ruined, or just the nut? Man, that's gotta suck! Did you contact chainsaws4u.com to see about getting it made right? They seemed nice enough to deal with, but I didn't have any warranty issues either. Maybe your local Deere dealer can fix you up. I find it hard to believe that they could ship it out like that without noticing. I hope this experience doesn't spoil having a great new saw.

Here we go again. Problem with a mail order saw? Bring it to your local dealer! If I was your local dealer I'd be REAL happy to fix your saw, as soon as hell froze over! How much is the aggrevation worth? If you bought the saw from your local dealer it would never have left the shop with such an obvious defect. I know a lot of people are going to get on my case for my opinion, but I don't care, I'm entitled to my opinion!

Yeah I hear yah. Well at least that is the wonderful thing about credit cards. You always have insurance. I haven't been able to get ahold of the site yet. I got home about 5pm so even my local shop would have been closed. Since I was in the process of moving a local shop wouldn't have been local for long anyway. Being military it is hard to have an established shop anywhere...but you are still allowed your opinions just realize they don't work for everyone...

And Tony it wasn't the stud or the nut it was the stud that had stripped the casing. I guess when it was originally assembled. I sure couldn't have produced that much torque the way I was using the tool. I always use those like spark plug wrenches and keep my hand right over the nut not out over the hand to avoid these situations...LOL

If I were a dealer and someone moved into my area I'd service all of his equipment as if he bought from me. Once he was established in my area and bought something off the internet, he'd get a cold shoulder. There have to be exceptions to the "not purchased here" rule, relocation would be one of them.

Thank goodness for warranties! I could see how that could get shipped as such. Probably no one ever put a bar on the saw and discovered it. Probably came from the factory like that.

Yeah Sedan man that is what I figured. I didn't see a reason to hit the dealership right before I left but...I couldn't wait till I got here to get the saw...you understand the fever I hope...After all it is chainsaw thing and...

Check the PX for your next chain saw purchase.Problems out of the box with a product means one thing to me,its returned with a big "No Thank You".I had that problem with a pressure washer purchased locally last year.
Hope this works out and you don't get the Deere John treatment:(

i see nothing wrong with buying on the net. a good dealer would try to get as close as he could to the price you can get it for, or throw something else in like an extra chain, plastic case,six of mix,extra bar and chain oil. as far as the mental midgets that want to pout because you did not buy from them to begin with,good,take your green money and go some place else. i work on all of them. i could care less where it was bought.
marty

Ok Marty, Here's the question, If you had two piles of saws to work on, one pile of saws you sold and one pile of saws bought elswhere, you'd fix all of them for sure, but who's would get done first? Truthfully, I'd bet money you'd do the ones you personally sold first! Some people might even "borrow" a part off the "elswhere" saws to get one of "HIS CUSTOMERS" saws out the door.

paul,
nope, as the saws come in they get tagged as, the work to be done and the date received. that order is strickly followed.
let me ask this. do you do all your shopping in your town(car,grocery,clothes,shoes,internet provider,heavy equipment,saws,etc.etc)? i do seem to recall where you got your 064 from but you went to brady for service. he helped you the very day you went there. he could have made you wait but he is not like that. just something to think about. marty

Back