Help Need New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Marty, I bought a used non-current model in a private sale. Hardly the same as buying a brand-new saw on the internet and then b*tching to my local dealer that the thing needs work under warrantee. "Local dealer" can be a loose term, there are several Husky dealers VERY close to my home but you are not too far away to be conscidered local, if I were ever to buy a Husky I would not rule out buying from you, from what I hear you do have good saw prices. My biggest point in this whole debate is this, if the saw in question was purchased directly from a dealer then the problem with the stripped bar stud would have been taken care of BEFORE the saw ever made it into the customers hands, I'm SURE you would have installed the bar and run/tuned the saw as a service to your customer. As far as my shopping habits here goes: cars-all used private sales, shoes: have to search for shoes size 13EEE, internet: from my cable company (local), saws; used private sale or Brady's or Sherwoods (both customers of mine so I share the wealth) clothes: I'm 6'0" and 330 lbs. 52 inch waist 56 inch chest, I take what I can get where I can find it. The Brady family all drive Dodges, Steve picks my brain on cars, I pick his on saws it works well for BOTH of us.

Last edited:
Luckily the kind folks I ordered the saw from are sending me a new one and sending a pickup slip for the old one so all I am out is a little time. All in all not to bad. Again if the move hadn't placed me in this position I would have bought locally if possible. I always try to buy locally for everything first. But I will not rule out the internet just because some folks can't understand that a smaller profit it still a PROFIT.

Abidad,
I'm curious. If the local dealer had taken the following steps would you have bought locally vs. online?

1. Agreed to a small discount from MSRP ($10-$20) but not agreed to meet or beat the online price.
2. Let you try out the saw and give you a couple days satisfaction guarantee.
3. Threw in an extra chain loop or two.
4. Assembled the saw, fueled it up, and make sure it was tuned correctly.
5. Agreed to take another look at it off season to clean it up and make sure it was still adjusted correctly after the break in period.
6. Agreed to priority repair turnaround or a loaner saw if anything was wrong during the first 30 days or so of the warranty period.

Would this have been enough for you to buy it locally???

Originally posted by ABIDAD
Luckily the kind folks I ordered the saw from are sending me a new one and sending a pickup slip for the old one so all I am out is a little time. All in all not to bad. Again if the move hadn't placed me in this position I would have bought locally if possible. I always try to buy locally for everything first. But I will not rule out the internet just because some folks can't understand that a smaller profit it still a PROFIT.

Saw dealers need to take a warning from auto industry. A long time ago people would walk into a car dealers showroom look at the price on the window and pay it. Then someone started advertising that he would "beat anyones price". At first he had tons of sales then other dealers had to cut their profits to "keep up". This trend carried itself out to the point where we are today, 1% margin on a new car that may have been in stock uo to a year! As a customer I want all the dealers to slit each others throats to give me a product for the lowest possible price but as an educated individual I know there MUST be either a limit or consequences, 20 years from now dealers will all be crying that they have to sell twice as many saws to make the money they used to make, but the yuppies have paved the whole world so nobody needs a saw anyway!

I thought so.

Local dealers that can learn some basic sales and marketing skills should have no problem competing with the internet. All they have to do is come up with a few strategies to show the consumer some "added value" vs. letting everything gravitate to "lowest price".

Originally posted by ABIDAD
Dave that is a simple answer. Of course I would have.

ABIDAD, did they offer to send you they replacement saw UPS next day air at their expense? Seems like it would have been the appropriate response, anyway.

Tony I am not sure how they are sending it this time but they are paying for the shipping and the return shipping on the other one. I am just excited that they are sending another before they get this one back. Seems like a pretty good store.

paul,
you are in a very fortunate situation. you own the dealership where steve buys his cars and he owns the dealership you take your saws. this even allows for the barter system to take effect. not everone has that kind of money and they need to shop around for the best deals. todays saws if used correctly, and with some basic tune-up and user care, require little shop time. chain sharpening being the biggest down time for the novice. major repairs will take time reguardless of origin of sale. like someone said before, little profit is better than none. hopefully it will never get so bad i can not afford to turn on the shop lights.
as far as saws being fired up before leaving, every saw gets run and checked and the buyer gets briefed in operation and stands behind the throttle to see how it feels. some people even want to put on the safety package and stick the saw in the cant pile.

marty

Marty, I never said I owned the dealership! I wish! No, I'm the shop foreman, it's kinda like being the owner (everything's my fault) without the Adirondak summer house (but I DO have access to the lake house). And 2 years ago when I bought my house and the closing looked a little tight I did get a $4,000.00 "comission" check (I'm on salary)

Last edited:
Tony, Yes my saw came finally after much confusion. I was out of town though and have not had a chance to try it out though. I am hoping to find some needy trees soon.

All right here we go. Finally I got to test my new JD CS-62. It ran like a champ. I talked a contractor here that had nocked down a decent sized oak tree (really four trees with one trunk) to let me get rid of it for him. The saw made short work of it and was still running strong when I ran out of tree...I will have to look for more trees soon. Not sure what I am going to do when I run out of room for my firewood because I was sure having fun:)

Sounds as if you are a happy customer. How's it compare to other saws you've run, and what other saws have you run?? Let's us know how she holds up!

Tony

Well my JD-62 is still running strong. Finished up my wood for the winter today. I would cut more just for fun but I am not sure where I can stack it... The saw almost takes all the fun out of it. I am through cutting before I even get tired of it. Then all I get to do is drag the wood home... Well I am still a satisfied customer. She starts right up and cuts until I push the kill switch. I totally drained the tank tonight (just in case I don't get to cut until next season) thanks for the tip guys. I have always done that with the boat but didn't think of doing with a saw go figure.

Got all your wood cut for next winter and it's only MAY! Sounds like you need to start hiring yourself out to neighbors who need firewood. After that, you can start looking for pianos or coffee tables... :laugh:

Yeah, the wood cutting business is backwards. You have all the fun cutting it up, then when you're done for the day you have the horrible task of hauling, unloading, and splitting, which after cutting, you really don't want to do. Well, glad you are impressed with your machine. Good luck. Oh, and yeah, start selling wood, or better yet, hire out just the cutting service. Then you can have fun, and pay for your saw.

Well guys to be honest I do live in Arkansas so it is not like I am cutting for an extremely long cold winter. But after looking at my stack maybe I could fit a few more logs on top....

Latest posts

Back