Help! One saw to fit my needs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is slowly becomming boring, spamming up a thread from of fellow looking for help!

I need some advice, please! I have been through some POS saws, and I am now saw-less and I am looking for advice on a saw to fit my needs. Here is what I need it for:

I cut about two face chords per year at my home, mostly 4-10" aspen for camp fires. I also maintain about 8 miles of ATV trails, which can be anything too big for my FS130 brush cutter to handle to 24"+ white pines that blow down across the trails. I also cut 3-4 chords per year of fallen pine 8"-24" and ash up to 12".

What are my best choices? I have been looking at a Stihl 250, but I like the idea of buying a 261 and owning it forever, though it is stretching the budget a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to going with something smaller than the 250, as the large white pines are only about 10% of the cutting that I need to do. I would like to be able to run an 18" bar, but 16" would be the minimum that I would feel comfortable with. The local dealers that I have experience with carry Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered, so I would like to stick with those brands. Do I really need a 50cc or bigger saw? Can I get away with something smaller? Do I need to get into the Professional series to get 10+ years out of a saw? I would also add that the majority of my cutting is an hour away from the nearest hardware store, so reliability is very important. Also, this will spend most of its life in the bed of a UTV, but weight is still a factor.

Thanks in advance! I have learned a ton lurking on the site already!

Welcome to AS!

What ever saw you get, make sure you learn how to tell when it's getting dull and either sharpen it or change it out. A dull chain is not a replacement for displacement! Learning how to sharpen a chain is one of the best thing I've learned here.

IMO, a nice little saw will do a lot with a sharp chain. You might spend a little more time in a cut, but a lighter saw used over a day will save fatigue on you in the long run.

Latest posts

Back