Help with tree ID and expectations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So my wife picked up what looks like some variety of Japanese Maple at a nursery plant auction yesterday. I was thinking of planting the tree 8' from the driveway and 8' from the sidewalk and 15' from the front corner of the house. So my question is what type of Jananese maple do I have and with the proximity to the paved surfaces and house, could the roots cause an issue and cracking of the paved surfaces and or foundation of the house? Plus how big should I expect this tree to get. If it will get to big I will have to find a new home for it. Any information would be extremely helpful.

The tree is currently 3 1/2' tall.
unyny8e4.jpg

uvuge9yp.jpg

a4ezugy4.jpg

pumu5adu.jpg

Looks like a Bloodgood Jap Maple. Roots are not known to be aggressive. Small tree, your planting site will work. Directional prune as it increases in size, research proper planting procedures.

After some research it looks like that is probably what I have which means the tree may need a new home since they look to grow fairly large. Thanks for the help

After some research it looks like that is probably what I have which means the tree may need a new home since they look to grow fairly large. Thanks for the help

True you do not want to have to change shape later. give it room + plant roots at grade and radiating outward. http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/resources/New_TreePlanting.pdf

You also have room for a nice big shade tree--consider getting some landscape design advice. it's hard as heck to move trees later...

Well the wife couldnt find a new home for this tree in the yard so we planted it 12" from the side walk and about 20 from the corner of the house. For a $10 tree if it gets bigger and causes a problem them we will remove it and not be out much. Thanks for your help I am a little tired today after planting the 12 trees and 5 bushes my wife picked up at the auction.

Back