Here a new one for you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattw24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am brand new to the forum. My question has been asked many times before but could not find what I needed in the search.

I am in the market for a indoor wood furnace and looking to spend 2K or less. I am needing to heat 3000sqft. I have looked at the Fire Chief, PSG, HotBlast, and a few others from the box stores. Would anyone please recommend one of them or a different one that I have not seen yet. Again working with a budget. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Matt

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. My question has been asked many times before but could not find what I needed in the search.

I am in the market for a indoor wood furnace and looking to spend 2K or less. I am needing to heat 3000sqft. I have looked at the Fire Chief, PSG, HotBlast, and a few others from the box stores. Would anyone please recommend one of them or a different one that I have not seen yet. Again working with a budget. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Matt

Is it 2K for the furnace or 2K everything done, complete? How do you intend to vent the unit? I.e. existing flue? Do you need a liner? Going with an external tripple wall setup?

Budget wise, you might be able to get a deal on a Hotblast from TSC (this is how I got mine, waited until Jan and purchased left over stock), but we need a little more info.

Tes

I would be willing to spend up to 2k on the furnace alone. I have a clay lined (yet to be inspected) chimney. It is 11.25 x 11.25 inches. I also am adding this on to my propane furnace ( which I hope never to use much). I would send the heat through the existing duct work and also use the current cold air return. My house is 1879sqft up and about 1200sq ft down finished. I have low ceilings in all the rooms. Thanks

I would be willing to spend up to 2k on the furnace alone. I have a clay lined (yet to be inspected) chimney. It is 11.25 x 11.25 inches. I also am adding this on to my propane furnace ( which I hope never to use much). I would send the heat through the existing duct work and also use the current cold air return. My house is 1879sqft up and about 1200sq ft down finished. I have low ceilings in all the rooms. Thanks

I have a 'clayton 1600' add on furnace and am very happy with it. Bought it at TSC about 4 years ago. I heat a 2500 sq. ft. cape cod style home sitting on a crawl. My furnace sits in the garage. It shares the cold air return with the existing gas furnace. I opted to install a seperate supplied air trunk and floor registers. The garage is not the optimum place for the furnace, but it was the only choice I had. Here in lower Michigan it averages about 20 degrees, with the occasional single digit night. My inside temps stay around
69 degrees, with the garage staying around 72 degrees (can't kick on that!).
Again, wait till january for the over stock inventory sale. I think I paid around $1100.00 at the time for the furnace. I already had my triple wall pipe
in place from an older stove I removed so that saved on costs.
I'm not sure but I don't think you can share the same chimmeny with your existing furnace.

Local TSC had their stoves on a manager's special when I was there yesterday, I think the price on the US Stove 1557 was +-1050.

tsc has a pretty big clayton model on sale for 1600 bucks seems like a good deal to me.

Thanks for all the replies guys! It seems that there are several good choices out there I just have to make up my mind.

indoor furnace

I purchased an englander 28-3500 from home depot $1379.00
i have a 2200 sq ft two story home
i ran an outside chimney 21 foot triple wall
i use split wood and my house is between 75 and 80 degrees
my wife is able to keep fire going when i work (night shift)
simple install with its own blower 850 cfm with built in thermostat
i installed in 1 day with help from a buddy
large ash pan i empty every other day
large fire box will hold 26 inch logs
fully lined fire box with fire bricks
will burn all night from 1130 pm till 0700 am
well built 600 pounds fully assembled from store just bolt blower on
large window to see fire at a glance
im very well pleased with my furnace
excellent instructions on hook up
and home depot gives 10% discount for veterans
good luck and keep us posted on your project
whip1

Last edited:

Matt

Greetings,

Do a google on HITZER stoves. They may be a few bucks more than 2K but they will last several lifetimes. They are all rated for burning coal, so you know they are tough.
They build them about 10 miles South of me in Berne IN. The Amish use them as do alot of the "English",(that's what the Amish call anyone who is not Amish)

Check them out, they ARE the "good ones".

Some times buying the "cheapest" ends up costing more!

Well I finally decided on one. I purchased a Fire Chief FC700. 150K BTU, nice construction, automatic draft control, 3 speed fan. I think it should do good for me. I also was able to buy it locally which I like from a family owned store. I have some remodeling to do in the basement, but I can't wait to get started and burning. I appreciate all the input.

Fire chief

Good luck with your wood burner
happy burning
whip1

Back