Hinge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Would this uneven hinge influence the fall of the tree toward A or B ?

attachment.php

Hmmm, I wonder if that uneven hinge might be useful for moving a tree against a heavy lean?

DSCN1220.jpg

So, yeah, the hinge breaks on the wide side later, tipping the tree in the direction labeled "B".

Note: the pictured stump is a walnut I swung about 45 degrees to miss a house. No wedges, no ropes, just an off face and an uneven hinge.

Last edited:
The tree would fall towards side A. Side A would hold slightly longer allowing the tree to turn that way. I have seen trees almost do a 90 degree turn by holding the hinge heavy on one side and almost cutting through the other side

This is proof that it will pull towards the thick side. This tree rotated approximately 110 degrees before it fell....

Oops002.jpg

This is how the problem was solved....

Oops005.jpg

Will the thick side of the hinge pull the tree in that direction? NO! the face cut will determine the direction of the fall, as long as the hinge doesn't fail. However if the tree has side lean, and the hinge brakes, the tree will fall with the lean. This is why you make the hinge thicker opposite of the lean, this makes the henge stronger preventing it from failing too early in the fall. So as long as the tree represented by the OP has no side lean, the tree will fall in the direction the face was gunned.

The offset thick hinge DOES NOT pull the tree to one side. The hinge is for support, the face determines the fall.

Last edited:
Will the thick side of the hinge pull the tree in that direction? NO! the face cut will determine the direction of the fall, as long as the hinge doesn't fail. However if the tree has side lean, and the hinge brakes, the tree will fall with the lean. This is why you make the hinge thicker opposite of the lean, this makes the henge stronger preventing it from failing too early in the fall. So the as long as the tree represented by the OP has no side lean, the tree will fall in the direction the face was gunned.

The offset thick hinge DOES NOT pull the tree to one side. The hinge is for support, the face determines the fall.

+1

Thicker on one side helps the stem hold to the face you have choosen. There are a million varibles, you can alter the hinge to pull or swing to one side or the other. I don't have the whereforall to post a gig's worth of details, trees are a case to case deal.

I thought I got my answer. Maybe not ?

I made the simple diagram so that anyone would assume a straight, solid stem with no lean or branches.
I thought there was only one answer to my question. I thought I'd get a quick answer and the thread would die.
I didn't mean to start a fuss.

Last edited:
it completely depends on how full the moon was the night before :msp_flapper::msp_flapper:

If you have any questions about this, set a rope in the tree and have some one pull it over as it's cut.
My only question is about my diagram. I can't drop any more trees right now, due to deep snow.
If my diagram was for a telephone pole, with no wires or hardware, and no wind, would that hinge affect the fall at all, as compared to the same pole with a parallell hinge ? That's all I'm asking here.
I guess I'll take C as the answer, unless someone comes back and tells him that he's wrong.

Last edited:
Brian there was a video from an old member here named Ekka, in the video my theory was proven, but I can't seem to find the video anywhere. If you think about the function of the hinge and how the hinge works, it cannot pull the tree in one direction or the other. You can swing the tree with a swinging dutchman, but I don't even know how to do that.

Back