Homelite 750 score,but no spark :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
MAN !! these saws are HUGE !!
I traded for this today,did well on the deal.. he got it for $30 off a friend that payed $10 at a yardsale.. he was using it and shut it off and came back later and no start..he checked the carb,was getting gas,seemed like no spark..
I havent had a chance to check it out yet but thinking maybe dirty contacts on the transformer ?? i have two other runners with the transformer and an unknown spare to try.. if not that any suggestions ??
i searched and found the info for testing the transformer..
gotta make a set of wheels for this thing to move it around :)
do i need to have it running to join the over 100CC club ?? :jester:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Some other stuff to consider is a torn intake boot, flywheel gap and about six places that the fuel line can be broken or crimped. Also if it has been sitting There could be sediment at the bottom of the tank that is now plugging up your fuel filter. As far as the transformer goes sometimes the two machine bolts that hold the transformer on can be tightened too much and strip the plastic locking collars off of the reataining nuts. When this happens the transformer cannot be tightened down all the way and sometimes will not contact the plug. Remember that the transformer from a 360 will work so they don't need to be hard to find or expensive. Good luck and welcome to the best ever stock saw club.:rock:

Some other stuff to consider is a torn intake boot, flywheel gap and about six places that the fuel line can be broken or crimped. Also if it has been sitting There could be sediment at the bottom of the tank that is now plugging up your fuel filter. As far as the transformer goes sometimes the two machine bolts that hold the transformer on can be tightened too much and strip the plastic locking collars off of the reataining nuts. When this happens the transformer cannot be tightened down all the way and sometimes will not contact the plug. Remember that the transformer from a 360 will work so they don't need to be hard to find or expensive. Good luck and welcome to the best ever stock saw club.:rock:

Yup,know about the intake boot,my 360 needs one..
my 330 also has a boot and the transformer but is in nice shape..
I forgot to say he said he paid a shop $40 to have the fuel line replaced and he was sure it was getting fuel,who knows ?
will check the transformer bolts and check for spark with jumper wires..

and i thought the 944V was big !
tnx..

I HATE YOU, YOU S%$#K

Great score, listen to HOSS he has more
experience with them bad boys than anyone
i know. Checking spark can be a big PITA but
can be done.

Lee

I HATE YOU, YOU S%$#K

can be done.

Lee

i second that, i've been trying to land a 750 too, especially for that price.....i'll tell you what, i'll give you back what you paid for it and double it too :)

I HATE YOU, YOU S%$#K

can be done.

Lee

WOW !! i can just "feel" the love :heart:

looking at Hoss's public profile i think he may be one of the few that could handle that thing !!

they guy i got it from is a big boy and he told me to not even try to start it without the decomp :)
should get to check it out in a couple of days..
now to find a 166 :)

On , off switch could be bad, just simply disonnect it. If it starts up and runs, just choke it to kill it. I've had two old Homeys with bad switches.

He already tried that,still unhooked.
thank you..

For some reason the stuff that homelite used to coat the inside of the tanks with, when it gives out it gives out all the way and pools in the bottom of the tank. My first 750 had this and would run then not re-start until it was moved around enough to get that sediment off of the filter. As far as the boot goes it is about twice as big as the 360 boot and the spring retainer can be a pain. What I do that works great is to use a shot piston from a super EZ and wrap the spring around it and since the piston is just about the same size as the boot base all ya gotta do is press the piston down against the boot once it is on the base and slide the spring right off the piston onto the recess at the base of the boot. Sorry I don't have a pic of this process, but it makes it sooo much easier. One of my 750's would start after sitting and run for a bit then cut off and not re-start and it was the boot. If it is for sure getting fuel then the impulse line must be clear. One other thing and this is a long shot but if there was a lot of crud in the fuel line it can just gum up the diaphragm as soon as enough builds up.

now to find a 166 :)[/QUOTE]

Uh oh. First a 750, now this. I've been down this path and all I can say is that its fun at the end.

Head to head I think a 750 would be faster in most cutting than a 166, but i'll tell ya those 166's have some TORQUE and once the wood passed 36" I would have to start lookin for the 166 to start makin up time. I did get to have a impromtu race the other day in a 48" piece of white oak against my own 3120 which my buddy was running and he was sure it would eat my 750's lunch, well....that didn't happen and my buddy was stunned that my "antique" was so strong.

WOW !! i can just "feel" the love :heart:

looking at Hoss's public profile i think he may be one of the few that could handle that thing !!

they guy i got it from is a big boy and he told me to not even try to start it without the decomp :)
now to find a 166 :)

Not sure where you can find a 166 :monkey:

I hear there like hen's teeth.

Lee

Actually it is my favorite "USER" saw.

Yeah but some of them hens up north got a lotta teeth.:)

And they got lips to,,that will never utter a word about where to find an elusive 166 :)

Tnx for the info Hoss..
will post any problems i may find..

Tnx for the info Hoss..
will post any problems i may find..[/QUOTE]

No prob. Good luck they are definately worth getting sorted out. Lets see some videos when it is runnin.:cheers:

Here's a pretty easy to make setup to test all the Homelite '50 series for spark.

Here a pic that shows how its connected. The only part that's a pain is getting the one alligator clamp bent so it'll stay clipped to the transformer holding assembly on the saw.

Dan

Well, by the pix i made up a test setup and got no spark from the original transformer,none from a spare i had and none from one from a running saw ..
looked at the pickup and looks fine from what i can see..
whats next ??
tnx..

Back