Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
homelite 540 -8800...??

Hey guys...

I have a really clean saw here, looking for the possibility of getting the brake handle and related parts....

from the IPL, i'm needing:

A 04888 A brake band assy

98740 brake handle

and I need an AV screw for the rear tank mount on the recoil side.... maybe part # 93367

thanks for any all help.. :cheers:

saw is nice, and I'd like to get it back to where it needs to be... :D

J

Now that is a hard core Chain saw lover buddy!

Dang.

Henry, The Weedeaterman

yeah i am. but to clarify the point. "clean" was referring to the apparent lack of breaks, cracks, holes or other forms of disfigurement. the color restoration was referring to repainting or coating the saw. but yeah, you're right, i do like the old mag saws; particularly those that still can be used for what they were designed.

Parts

Hey guys...

I have a really clean saw here, looking for the possibility of getting the brake handle and related parts....

98740 brake handle

and I need an AV screw for the rear tank mount on the recoil side.... maybe part # 93367

J

Are you using this site to look up your parts. http://hcpi.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF.
If so see if the assembly is there and I will work on the other stuff. The Screw I found and can order it. The other part is not stocked where I looked already.

Henry, The Weedeaterman!

Are you using this site to look up your parts. http://hcpi.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF.
If so see if the assembly is there and I will work on the other stuff. The Screw I found and can order it. The other part is not stocked where I looked already.

Henry, The Weedeaterman!

The screw I THINK I've found on ebay previously...

I get a forbidden page warning when clicking on that address... even just utilizing the root address ( hcpi.arinet.com )

I appreciate the help!!

Jay

Hey guys...

98740 brake handle

J

The 540 IPL I have lists part number A98731 for the brake band, brake handle has the same number. I don't know if that will help you but I am giving the info anyways. You should be able to find a useable AV screw at a local hardware store.

The 540 IPL I have lists part number A98731 for the brake band, brake handle has the same number. I don't know if that will help you but I am giving the info anyways. You should be able to find a useable AV screw at a local hardware store.

any idea where thou shall find such items??

the IPL I have lists them differently for some reason?

the hand guard # I see is: 98740 on the 540 IPL # UT-10612 from discountmowerparts.com

:dizzy:

J

Last edited:
Outside is correct. Only the one bar plate. Bar adjust screw is #8-32tpi x approx. 1 1/4" long. Available at most hardware stores (round head, good luck finding a filister head).

If it bothers you too much, move 'em from the porch to the curb. When it disappears, plead innocent.:too_sad:

By the curb! Why didn't I think of that? Your the man, thanks, Joe.

the hand guard # I see is: 98740 on the 540 IPL # UT-10612 from discountmowerparts.com

J

My Distributor does not carry it. I can get a screw. Not the other stuff.

Henry the Weedeaterman.

Zip B

Well, after putting it off for awhile I got the old Homelite Zip running. It isn't the most powerful thing in the world but if you have enough time it will cut wood. Really nice bar and chain..I'll probably put them on something a little more modern and put a bar on it that's a little more era correct. I think someone has put a 3/8 chain on it but I haven't measured it to be sure. This thing would probably run better with a carb rebuild and maybe a new spark plug because it pops and cracks occasionally when you put it in wood too fast. Also, maybe it seems slow because I'm used to newer saws.
attachment.php

Guys, need a little help. Best as I can tell the largest engine that Homelite built was for the 2100 series at 114cc. Is this correct (not counting the 750 series saws)????????

The reason I ask is I bought a water pump with a Homelite engine (2 stroke) and it has a perfect cylinder and piston (through the plug hole) and I have not measured the bore yet.

Just a few pics of the newest member of my family. Through a chain on it last night and I'm really surprised with how it cuts. Does a lot faster than my Craftsman 42cc saws!
Were bucking dogs available for these saws?

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

Just a few pics of the newest member of my family. Through a chain on it last night and I'm really surprised with how it cuts. Does a lot faster than my Craftsman 42cc saws!
Were bucking dogs available for these saws?

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

Yes they were..I have a couple of XLs with them.
attachment.php

Yours should have a couple of holes to bolt them onto.

Guys, need a little help. Best as I can tell the largest engine that Homelite built was for the 2100 series at 114cc. Is this correct (not counting the 750 series saws)????????

The reason I ask is I bought a water pump with a Homelite engine (2 stroke) and it has a perfect cylinder and piston (through the plug hole) and I have not measured the bore yet.

Homelite Models 7-29 and 8-29 are 129cc

Yep....and some of the early Homelite military and civilian pump and generator engines were much larger than that. I saw a brochure for these early Homelite engines on ebay a while ago. Should have bought it...

J

I have no idea where to find the parts right now, I have checked a few places for you but nothing so far. Here is the 540 IPL I am getting my part numbers from, I will also include the 8800 IPL I have.

I have no idea where to find the parts right now, I have checked a few places for you but nothing so far. Here is the 540 IPL I am getting my part numbers from, I will also include the 8800 IPL I have.

Thank you for helping...

but, don't stop YET!! lol :clap: I'd like it to be 100%... hopefully :dizzy:

J

Thank you for helping...

but, don't stop YET!! lol :clap: I'd like it to be 100%... hopefully :dizzy:

J

You can't ever give up hope man. I was recently looking for a Mall chainsaw coil that everyone had told me that I would never be able to find, they have been NLA since the early 60's. Not only did I find one but I found two brand new, still in the original boxes, coils for a great price, they actually just showed up in the mail today. Keep a sharp eye on Ebay because sooner or later everything shows up.

I still have a few more places\people to run your part numbers through, so something may still turn up.

Hey guys...

98740 brake handle

J

A 540??? You lucky dog!

You can't ever give up hope man. I was recently looking for a Mall chainsaw coil that everyone had told me that I would never be able to find, they have been NLA since the early 60's. Not only did I find one but I found two brand new, still in the original boxes, coils for a great price, they actually just showed up in the mail today. Keep a sharp eye on Ebay because sooner or later everything shows up.

I still have a few more places\people to run your part numbers through, so something may still turn up.

Good lesson, and another one..DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY!

Latest posts

Back