Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score Watson,

Resurrect the big Homelite - try not to part her out. All of these big units deserve a second chance, and that particular saw looks like it is mostly complete. How bad is the handle? Interesting to see that it is a 900D (by the tag) yet it has its kill switch located down below as you mentioned.
I guess as these improvements came along, older saws were changed to suit.

A nice big bore Homelite - hope to see photo's or video of it running some day.

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Chris.

Muffler also says it is a 909/early 990. (Later 990s exhausted to the right.) However, as you pointed out, early parts were superceded quite frequently. I have new examples of both handles and it would quite easy to switch from one to the other on any of the saws. Strangely, of the six 900 series I have, 2 of 3 later style handles have been broken and subsequently repaired. The 3 early style handles are all still intact.

Check out the IPL for this series, never seen anything quite like it. Kind of like IHC for continual changes during a production run.

Chris B.

Can anyone tell me some info on an old saw;... homelite 330 ? What is the displacement, performance, etc.
TIA

View attachment 190983

Around 53cc, most I've seen have a 20" bar. The ones I've worked on seem to run pretty well. Well built except most old 330s need that intake boot replaced and you have to take much of the saw apart to get to the boot. Probably would be a good firewood saw if it's in good condition.

Looking for opinions

I just received a Homelite VI-944 and am looking for opinions and info on it.

This is a cross post, but was told by one of the senior guys to post it over here.

And no, I'm not going to sell it. Starts on first pull every time. no kidding.

Thanks

View attachment 191165

View attachment 191167

View attachment 191168

Last edited:
I just received a Homelite VI-944 and am looking for opinions and info on it.

This is a cross post, but was told by one of the senior guys to post it over here.

And no, I'm not going to sell it. Starts on first pull every time. no kidding.

Thanks

191165d1311042415-img_1244-jpg

191167d1311042480-img_1245-jpg

191168d1311042645-img_1246-jpg

That has to be one of the nicest 944's I have ever laid eyes on. They are very closely related to several other models like the XL-700, XL-800 and XL-924. There are others but it would take me a whole page to list them all.

Hello Homeliteheads! (And I mean that in the best possible way, kinda like the McNuts down the street :D)

I pulled the cylinder off a parts C-5 for another member (ChainsawmanXX) and found a lot of plating missing around the ports. Here are pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I/we are wondering if this cylinder is worth boxing up and sending to him, or if it's gonna be toast the minute it fires up? The parts saw was not a runner when I got it, but it did make 135psi compression with a light shot of WD40 down the cylinder (it was dead dry from sitting for years).

I didn't ask him, but I'd assume this saw isn't gonna be an everyday work saw, but likely an old toy to bring out and play with now and then. How long do ya think this cylinder would hold up, and are there options for rechroming that wouldn't break the bank?

I'll let CSMXX know I posted this here, and maybe he'll chime in.

Thanks!

Hello Homeliteheads! (And I mean that in the best possible way, kinda like the McNuts down the street :D)

I pulled the cylinder off a parts C-5 for another member (ChainsawmanXX) and found a lot of plating missing around the ports. Here are pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I/we are wondering if this cylinder is worth boxing up and sending to him, or if it's gonna be toast the minute it fires up? The parts saw was not a runner when I got it, but it did make 135psi compression with a light shot of WD40 down the cylinder (it was dead dry from sitting for years).

I didn't ask him, but I'd assume this saw isn't gonna be an everyday work saw, but likely an old toy to bring out and play with now and then. How long do ya think this cylinder would hold up, and are there options for rechroming that wouldn't break the bank?

I'll let CSMXX know I posted this here, and maybe he'll chime in.

Thanks!

Like you said, it depends on the use of the cylinder. Most guys don't use these kind of saws anymore for regular wood cutting and I might assume that when he puts the saw together he will probably try to find some new piston rings, so it'll probably produce more compression than it did before, after break-in. I would definitely use the cylinder on one of my saws. Re-chroming sounds like it might be too expensive for something like this but to each his own.

Like you said, it depends on the use of the cylinder. Most guys don't use these kind of saws anymore for regular wood cutting and I might assume that when he puts the saw together he will probably try to find some new piston rings, so it'll probably produce more compression than it did before, after break-in. I would definitely use the cylinder on one of my saws. Re-chroming sounds like it might be too expensive for something like this but to each his own.

Yup, good enough for a toy/display runner. I'm in the same situation over an XL-101 now. One cylinder available has lost some plating and another has a nasty scratch, so which to use.

Jacob - I'll get it going your way tomorrow then. Need to clean some gunk off it first, and don't reallly have time before work today.

For the rest of you Homey guys, if ya need some other pieces off this, lemme know. I needed it for the recoil and bar cover, and the cylinder and coil are going to Jacob. Otherwise everything is there. I also have a 72 and 91 down in the shed awaiting me to have time to see what I can do with them, but they were "opportunity buys", and they're at the bottom of my saw tinkering list right now. They'll probably be winter projects.

Jacob - I'll get it going your way tomorrow then. Need to clean some gunk off it first, and don't reallly have time before work today.

For the rest of you Homey guys, if ya need some other pieces off this, lemme know. I needed it for the recoil and bar cover, and the cylinder and coil are going to Jacob. Otherwise everything is there. I also have a 72 and 91 down in the shed awaiting me to have time to see what I can do with them, but they were "opportunity buys", and they're at the bottom of my saw tinkering list right now. They'll probably be winter projects.

From that C-5 I could use the throttle trigger lock pin (fast idle lock), spring, and clip if you have them (many C-series saws seem to be missing them......including mine). Would be interested in the clutch drum too if it's a rim-drive type. If the fuel tank's a non-leaker and is in good shape then I'd be interested in that (and the fuel cap). Also wouldn't turn down the carb and a bag of screws from the saw for spares. Sorry for the laundry list...:cool2:

I'll be interested in seeing what's up with the C-72 and C-91 whenever you get to them (either for parts or projects). No hurry though......:popcorn:

I figure if anyone can answer this question I will probably find them in here.

Picked up a XL-800 and the fuel tank is separated from the body of the saw, looks to have been originally "glued" together. Is there any possible way to put this thing back together? Maybe clamp it all together and use some kind of liquid tank liner from the inside? A bunch of silicon and half roll of duct tape? Guess I could have it tig welded in place but that would likely cost me more than a new saw.

100_2269.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2273.jpg

Johnnie.
IIWM (if it were me) I'd try JB weld and some 'C' clamps to glue it back.

I did a crankcase cover/magneto backplate on an XL-101 two weeks ago and now can't begin to get it apart.

That is about what I figured on trying. It looked like someone had tried the JB Weld route before but they had not cleaned the surfaces and the stuff was flaking back off.

Latest posts

Back