Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will a 900 series starter assembly fit a 5-20, or vise versa?
Thanks guys!

900 series meaning 990 909 995 models.

Last edited by a moderator:
You talking about that brass gizmo with all those little parts?
If you are, yes.

Bonus!!!!
Thanks Ol'man!!!!

Ya, that makes me a young punk! LOL!!!

Where you getting that starter from Willis??:msp_unsure:

If I can locate them, yours will be getting one too!!!!!
I now have your saw held hostage!!
Will be showing proof of life here shortly!
You will negotiate with CADorrists!!!!!!! :soldier:

Remember the 900 series has the 3 gear trans, so it cranks over counter-clockwise if facing the starter side. That's why the direct drive and gear drive versions of the 900s use the same starter parts. Saws like the 5-20 crank over clockwise (facing the starter). I'm sure the outer aluminum hub is reversed on these compared to the 900 series hub. Haven't looked carefully at the brass inner piece, but if it has any angled channels for those balls to move of grab, they may well be reversed as well. May want to check the part number to be 100% sure.

Dan

Good catch Dan, I forget how simple the original gear-drives were. The only weak spot is that thin end of the crank, on the flywheel side. There is a kid that has a pristine 7-21, he got all enthused, yanked on the flywheel too much and bent the shaft, the vibe level is awesome.

XL-101 Refurbish.

Well, with the crankcase/fuel tank and clutch cover from Little Possum and misc. from the 'White Death' saw from ChainsawmanXX we got the project back together.

View attachment 191429
View attachment 191430

Almost killed it again. This time I neglected to seal the space around the fuel line entrance to the carb. box. When I cut a 14" walnut cookie this morning a bunch of wood chips/sawdust was sucked into the enging. Had to pull the carb and reed and use a large plastic straw with my shop vac to clean out the engine. Sprayed it full of WD-40 and vacumed that out for a 'rinse'.

On the plus side, he pumps 155psi and drags a 16" bar thru the walnut with reasonable haste.

I think a 20" bar is workable.

Well, with the crankcase/fuel tank and clutch cover from Little Possum and misc. from the 'White Death' saw from ChainsawmanXX we got the project back together.

View attachment 191429
View attachment 191430

Almost killed it again. This time I neglected to seal the space around the fuel line entrance to the carb. box. When I cut a 14" walnut cookie this morning a bunch of wood chips/sawdust was sucked into the enging. Had to pull the carb and reed and use a large plastic straw with my shop vac to clean out the engine. Sprayed it full of WD-40 and vacumed that out for a 'rinse'.

On the plus side, he pumps 155psi and drags a 16" bar thru the walnut with reasonable haste.

I think a 20" bar is workable.

We need a video Carl! LOL
P.S I got that package today, thanks! threw it on the saw and she starts up, need a new gas line though.

Looks like I will be joining you fellers here. Aaron shamed me into buying a 909D which I will be picking up on Monday. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

3kc3m03pa5T55Z15R0b7a17482bfc3c8610a2.jpg

3n83o03ld5X15S45R3b7aab78462edb7c132f.jpg

Looks like I will be joining you fellers here. Aaron shamed me into buying a 909D which I will be picking up on Monday. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Happy to be of service Wendell. Welcome to the club! Hope your P/C are in better shape than what's in my saw...

000_0199.jpg

what ashtray

Nice Ric! I'd LOVE to have a 9-series ashtray like that. Methinks Randy speaks of the stamped starter cover used on these saws. Usually long gone (neither my EZ or 900D have 'em). Wendell's saw still has it. Randy has one he uses to ash his Havatampa's in. Anybody see the overpriced Homelite hardhat on feebay?

Latest posts

Back