Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw should run quite a bit faster than that no load. I would think if it was running that rich, there would be quite a bit of smoke coming out the exhaust. You want to tune it so it is barely 4 stroking at WOT no load.

Thanks for the replies guys, Ambull, thats how i tune my newer saws but wasnt sure if that method held true for older saws as well. I will get it back out monday or tuesday and give it another go.

Thanks for the replies guys, Ambull, thats how i tune my newer saws but wasnt sure if that method held true for older saws as well. I will get it back out monday or tuesday and give it another go.

lol yeah not much has changed. The old saws will 4 stroke at lower RPM, and the 4 stroke sound is much more obvious. To me they are easier to tune. The 925 has a great exhaust sound to it.

While i'm in here, got a 1130G thats supposed to show up wednesday(can't wait) and will have to fill it up with gear oil. Tried searching but only found a discussion between SAE 90 gear oil and transmission fluid. Will 80w-90 gear oil work? Thats what i happen to have on hand.

Just got done installing a new piston and rings in my super xl-925 and was wondering what is a good no load RPM to set it at. Acres says that it has a operating rpm of 7500, but is that load or no load? I checked it a few minutes ago after making some cuts and its around 7500 but it sounds a little rich. I dont have alot of experience tuning older saws so i figured i had better check with the experts. Thanks

Don't tune that saw with a tach. As stated, tune it so it four strokes (burbles) at WOT out of the cut, and just cleans up when in the cut. If you get a slight burble every once in a while when in the cut, that's MUCH better than having it too lean. I've seen guys tune these old saws too lean (so they run clean out of the cut when at WOT), then wonder why the saw looses power in the cut. That's a damn good way to damage your cylinder and new piston/rings.

While i'm in here, got a 1130G thats supposed to show up wednesday(can't wait) and will have to fill it up with gear oil. Tried searching but only found a discussion between SAE 90 gear oil and transmission fluid. Will 80w-90 gear oil work? Thats what i happen to have on hand.

Bump

That should work fine. The only issue with using modern 85-90w gear oil would be if the gearbox has brass parts such as thrust washers or bushings. Modern GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils have EP (extreme preasure) additves that can be corrosive to brass. The old GL-1 gear oil (90w) doesn't have these additives. Those additives are intended for the hypoid gears in axles. I don't believe the 1130G gearbox has any brass parts. In older truck and car transmissions that have brass syncronizers, bushings, and thrust washers, many of us gearheads use 50W as its viscosity matches GL-1 and doesn't have the EP additives present in GL-4/GL-5.

Picked up my new saw today and got a Zip as a bonus. I'm not sure how he knew the saw had good compression and everything worked when the piston is seized. :msp_angry:

IMG_4292.jpg

Picked up my new saw today and got a Zip as a bonus. I'm not sure how he knew the saw had good compression and everything worked when the piston is seized. :msp_angry:

IMG_4292.jpg

Are they running yet? How they gonna run at Sawtoberfest? No bar for the Santa saw?

You had them for this long and no other details? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It was kinda humid again, wasn't it? Nice pickup Wendell. Any pictures of the GTG moblie?

Siezed in the 909D??? Crap! The Zip wouldn't be a big deal. The 909 on the other hand...

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a case of stuck rings. Be gentle with it. I did the PS handle on the Zip...:D

Nice pick-up Wendall :cheers:
If the piston is seized not to big of a deal I would guess? New rings wouldnt be that hard to find would they? lol

Are they running yet? How they gonna run at Sawtoberfest? No bar for the Santa saw?

You had them for this long and no other details? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It was kinda humid again, wasn't it? Nice pickup Wendell. Any pictures of the GTG moblie?

I got the Zip for the bar.

Actually, not humid here today. Nicest day of the summer by far. Unfortunately, today is the only day. Humid again tomorrow.

Yes, the GTGmobile is behind the handle of the Zip. :laugh:

Siezed in the 909D??? Crap! The Zip wouldn't be a big deal. The 909 on the other hand...

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a case of stuck rings. Be gentle with it. I did the PS handle on the Zip...:D

No, the Zip is the one that is seized. Whatever is supposed to be on the front of the exhaust port is missing so you are looking right into the cylinder at the moment. I will need whatever that is. I also need a handle for the starter rope on the 909D as that is missing.

Anybody have the manuals and IPL for these saws?

Actually, not humid here today. Nicest day of the summer by far. Unfortunately, today is the only day. Humid again tomorrow.

No, the Zip is the one that is seized. Whatever is supposed to be on the front of the exhaust port is missing so you are looking right into the cylinder at the moment. I will need whatever that is. I also need a handle for the starter rope on the 909D as that is missing.

All those Zips have is a deflector to direct the exhaust to the side. They probably aren't hard to find since the Zip saw isn't that rare. Other models use the same deflector, I know the Buz also has it.

Last edited:

OK, the weatherman may have that right. Nothing like last week, but a day off like Sunday from it makes a guy notice it right now.

A Ford? Focus:msp_mellow: or Fiesta:msp_thumbup:?

smaller :hmm3grin2orange:

Hint: I used less than 20 gallons of gas to get from San Antonio to Madison.

Smaller than a Fiesta? So you're telling me you stopped to fill up three times?:laugh:
I don't know much about cjcocn sized cars, but how you gonna fit all them presents in there at Christmas time?

Smaller than a Fiesta? So you're telling me you stopped to fill up three times?:laugh:
I don't know much about cjcocn sized cars, but how you gonna fit all them presents in there at Christmas time?

If I would've left with a full tank I would've only filled up once.

Don't worry about ol' Santa. He's got some magical wys.

If I would've left with a full tank I would've only filled up once.

Don't worry about ol' Santa. He's got some magical wys.

OK, don't tell anyone about your new Kia or Prius or whatever it is. We really aren't concerned in the least.

But you won't get enough cheese in there to last a week if you collect saws on your way to the Safety meeting at GPT's. Maybe thats a good thing also, the cheese sure is.

That's good news!

I have an IPL for the 909. PM me your email addy. I also have a good used Zip P/C. Let me know if you're interested in it...

Back