Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks heavy

I don't know the exact year of this one but they were produced from 1959-1961. It starts right up! I have a couple of saws that are 40 years newer that I haven't been able to fire yet. The frame of this saw is actually made of steel!

old saw never disappoint you, that would be a heavy saw then if its frame made out of steel!
I'm working on a 330 now from 1981 or so, and it ain't fireing yet :(

I apologize for jumping into this thread just to ask a question, but can anyone help me find a new clutch drum/sprocket/bearing for 2.3 AV? I know it's a cheap little plastic Homelite with a broken handle, but I'd like to make it work if possible just to have a clear conscience when I pass it along. Thanks

Mark

P.S. How about if I include a photo of my 6-22?

192134d1311687807-homelite-6-22-s-jpg

nice saw

I apologize for jumping into this thread just to ask a question, but can anyone help me find a new clutch drum/sprocket/bearing for 2.3 AV? I know it's a cheap little plastic Homelite with a broken handle, but I'd like to make it work if possible just to have a clear conscience when I pass it along. Thanks

Mark

192134d1311687807-homelite-6-22-s-jpg

that saw looks great!
unfortunately i cant help you with that since i have to import everything :(
and i dont know where D:
I'll awser a question with a question:
does anyone know where i can buy parts for homelite saws in europe?

looks heavy

old saw never disappoint you, that would be a heavy saw then if its frame made out of steel!

The saw actually isn't as heavy as you might think. I doubt if it's as heavy as the Zip. I haven't weighed them but there are a few things on the Zip that aren't on the Buz, like the cylinder top cover, carb bottom cover, lighter air filter, and probably other things I missed.

Mark, I'm not sure which saw you're referring to by 2.3. I have some extra clutch drums for little saws but don't know the dimensions of the one you need.

The saw actually isn't as heavy as you might think. I doubt if it's as heavy as the Zip. I haven't weighed them but there are a few things on the Zip that aren't on the Buz, like the cylinder top cover, carb bottom cover, lighter air filter, and probably other things I missed.

my eyes have me deceived then.
does it apply for this saw to, if you work with it it feels light.
but when you stop its kinda heavy?

I'm calling the "frame" the big flat piece that the engine is bolted to, it includes the spike bar and runs from spike bar to the back of the saw. When I got it I noticed it had rust on it, not corrosion like mag has. It is indeed steel. The trigger is made of a piece of thick wire. Kind of unusual but it works.

easier

I'm calling the "frame" the big flat piece that the engine is bolted to, it includes the spike bar and runs from spike bar to the back of the saw. When I got it I noticed it had rust on it, not corrosion like mag has. It is indeed steel. The trigger is made of a piece of thick wire. Kind of unusual but it works.

Well rust on steel is easier to deal with then corrosion on mag don't you agree?
other wise it's a great saw and as long as it works its even better.

Well rust on steel is easier to deal with then corrosion on mag don't you agree?
other wise it's a great saw and as long as it works its even better.

It wasn't a large amount of rust, just a couple of spots of surface rust. I quickly got rid of it then painted it. There's no way it would have rusted through, that steel is around .1" thick. I'd much rather have a little rust than corrosion, as you said.

This saw would have never got fixed up if my new old stock starter assembly had been sold on ebay. Nobody wanted it and a few weeks later this saw came to me without a starter..talk about luck!

Last edited:
It wasn't a large amount of rust, just a couple of spots of surface rust. I quickly got rid of it then painted it. There's no way it would have rusted through, that steel is around .1" thick. I'd much rather have a little rust than corrosion, as you said.
This saw would have never got fixed up if my new old stock starter assembly had been sold on ebay. Nobody wanted it and a few weeks later this saw came to me without a starter..talk about luck!

Indeed thats real lucky, imagine if you had to look for a starter :O
like a wise man said:
he who keeps something, has something.

Mark

Glad to see you over here in the Red forum Mark. The plastic box-store 'homelite' question got you on thin ice...................but you redeemed yourself with the beautiful Homelite 6-22 pic!:D

That will teach you! I've had similar experiences more than a few times. I had a PM610 air filter cover burried in a box of parts for close to 20 years. The rest of the saw was long gone. Found it the other day. Cleaned it up and sent it to a fellow here who's put it to good use!:cheers:

Glad to see you over here in the Red forum Mark. The plastic box-store 'homelite' question got you on thin ice...................but you redeemed yourself with the beautiful Homelite 6-22 pic!:D

That will teach you! I've had similar experiences more than a few times. I had a PM610 air filter cover burried in a box of parts for close to 20 years. The rest of the saw was long gone. Found it the other day. Cleaned it up and sent it to a fellow here who's put it to good use!:cheers:

Yeah, but now what do you do with a 50+ year old saw? I guess I could just keep it around for amusement and showing people how the old saws used to be. I didn't really start out to be an antique saw collector but I have quite a few of the old relics. Actually I only have one or two modern saws.

Yeah, but now what do you do with a 50+ year old saw? I guess I could just keep it around for amusement and showing people how the old saws used to be. I didn't really start out to be an antique saw collector but I have quite a few of the old relics. Actually I only have one or two modern saws.

Enjoy pieces of history, the likes of which will never be seen again. Get together with other nuts. Introduce new people to the way things used to be done. Buy, sell, trade, and restore more of 'em...:D

I'm guessing the spark plug on the 909D is 13/16"'s? The gap between the spark plug and the cylinder fins is so small, I don't have a socket that will fit in there. Any suggestions? I'm hoping it will come out with out too much trouble but it is really rusted.

I grabbed another spark plug but as I expected, there is no spark. Looks like I need to pull out some more of my 9th grade shop class knowledge and see what I remember about points.

I'm guessing the spark plug on the 909D is 13/16"'s? The gap between the spark plug and the cylinder fins is so small, I don't have a socket that will fit in there. Any suggestions? I'm hoping it will come out with out too much trouble but it is really rusted.

I grabbed another spark plug but as I expected, there is no spark. Looks like I need to pull out some more of my 9th grade shop class knowledge and see what I remember about points.

Would there be room for a thin wall socket? I used to get cheap sockets and grind them down on the outside when I had a clearance problem. I've had to do that recently to remove mag wheels with a 4 way lug wrench.

It would take a lot of grinding. I wonder if Bailey's has a scrench that size?

I'll dig through my scrench collection for ya tomorrow (ok, later today). I know I have one, if I have 2, I'll send ya one.

Edit: this is the closest I could find at Baileys, 21MM, that's about 13 and a quarter 16ths.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+57010&catID=288

Also, check sleds, mowers, etc for the cheapo tool kits they come with. They usually have a scrench style plug wrench, and a lot of the older sleds and such IIRC used them big plugs.

Last edited:
Back