Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ambull

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
"The mods that you did to that saw were really cool, but it is pathetic how slow cutting it is. Perhaps that chain needs a little sharpening. What is that, like a 3" log?"

ya the wood was pretty small. I was quite disappointed with the cutting speed as well. especially at the high revs. It should burn through that like warm butter. The chain does need some work, or just replaced. The guy I got that saw from said it was the original chain.
Now I'll just have to go back out and cut some more, gotta re tune with a better chain on it. The saw is a little loud, don't know how long the neighbours will stand it

Definitely..... The saw is only as good as the chain. Look forward to seeing version 2.

gcsupraman

gcsupraman

ArboristSite Operative
Has anybody ever seen one of these? Can't seem to find another one on the internet or get ANY information about this saw.

The 70 year old neighbor bought it new and it's been sitting for at least 15 years because it's too heavy....he's asked me to sell it as well as some dinosaur McCulloch so he can buy a lighter saw.

201406d1317608279-homelite-jpg

67L36Driver
Ebay junker XL-101 #3

My last ebay 101 carcass showed up this morning. He had been stripped of most of his gingerbread.
View attachment 201452
attachment.php

View attachment 201453
attachment.php

Put a flywheel and a recoil on him and he blew 150 psi. We have all the parts to get him going again except I am running short on Walbro SDC's.

We will put him away like a squirrel burys an acorn for later this winter.

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Has anybody ever seen one of these? Can't seem to find another one on the internet or get ANY information about this saw.

The 70 year old neighbor bought it new and it's been sitting for at least 15 years because it's too heavy....he's asked me to sell it as well as some dinosaur McCulloch so he can buy a lighter saw.

Looks like a nice XL-Auto. Seen a few with that color scheme. May be picking one up from a fellow near me soon. If you were local I'd be interested in that one too. Shipping would kill the deal though. They're just not worth a whole lot on the collector market. What's that hanging on the manual oiler button?

gcsupraman

gcsupraman

ArboristSite Operative
looks like a temporary kill switch he references in the classifieds. also listed on feebay

Jerry - you are exactly correct.

My neighbor has 3 dinosaur saws....1 Homelite XL, 1 McCullogh Power Mac 6 and an Echo. The Homelite and Powermac haven't been used in over a decade. I suggested he sold them all and buy 1 newer saw, however we were not able to sell these saws locally so they had to be listed on Ebay.

I figured the saws were so old, I would have no choice but to use Ebay to maximize exposure.

67L36Driver
What to use to seal the fuel tank on the evilbay XL-101 carcass?

It would have to be some two part thin rosin mix of some sort.

He is a leaker along the bottom seam, natch. :cry: It's an early production 'three screw magneto backplate' with glued/epoxy fuel tank halves.

Blows 150 psi and fat blue spark. Can't win for loosin'. :check:

Ambull

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
So I made another vid......

After picking on Uriedog, I decided to back it up with my XL102. This saw is in dire need of a carb kit, but it sure has some snot to it. The branches were between 8-9" diameter Ash. I have an 18" bar with 3/8" full comp chisel chain. And yes it is sharp.

Please no disrepect Urie my man.... I need to send this saw to you so it can be fitted with an expansion pipe.

And Aaron, I slowed down my technique so that you can see me shut off the saw properly, lol.

Enjoy! This little Homie just loves eating wood.

chainsaw :: 004-8.mp4 video by jmueller57 - Photobucket

Last edited:
uriedog

uriedog

ArboristSite Lurker
None taken. I just picked up a brang new chisel chain today. And yes these saws do love to eat wood. Can't wait to get out and cut some more with a good chain!

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
So I made another vid......

After picking on Uriedog, I decided to back it up with my XL102. This saw is in dire need of a carb kit, but it sure has some snot to it. The branches were between 8-9" diameter Ash. I have an 18" bar with 3/8" full comp chisel chain. And yes it is sharp.

Please no disrepect Urie my man.... I need to send this saw to you so it can be fitted with an expansion pipe.

And Aaron, I slowed down my technique so that you can see me shut off the saw properly, lol.

Enjoy! This little Homie just loves eating wood.

chainsaw :: 004-8.mp4 video by jmueller57 - Photobucket

Man that's a strong runner JP. Now I need a saw from that series......dammit. I've passed up more than a few of those, but I can see I'll need to put one in the stable...:msp_thumbup:

Ambull

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Man that's a strong runner JP. Now I need a saw from that series......dammit. I've passed up more than a few of those, but I can see I'll need to put one in the stable...:msp_thumbup:

Hell yeah it is. Thanks bro!!

The only thing I would do to this saw to make it better would be to add a full wrap handle bar. It is crazy to think that there have been zero performance advancements in the 50cc class of saws in the last 45 years. But it is true!!:rock:

That saw is a stock runner. Probably still has the original spark plug in it.

Last edited: