Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice going, Chips!

The rubber handle cover is intact as well. Now, if the oiler plunger is tight and all the lines are intact, you did exceptionally well.

Hope you don't have the squirelly carb, though.

Nice going, Chips!

The rubber handle cover is intact as well. Now, if the oiler plunger is tight and all the lines are intact, you did exceptionally well.

Hope you don't have the squirelly carb, though.

Rubber handle cover is actually 1/3 ripped from the bottom up. I'm sure that I have some kind of adhesive that will work. Oil plunger seems tight. All lines , metal and fuel look OK. I'll do the regular stuff to get it going- carb kit and lines. Has spark and pops with a couple drops of fuel. Does have a 24" bar chains but almost down to nothing- I can't complain...

Which is the not so fun carb? Has a Tillotson with Tralee Ireland just under the Tillotson and small 5 stamp on top. I'll get better look when I pull it. From what I'm seeing on the Tillotson site HS carb with kit RK-23HS?

There is a 2 page thread on a different board that has a complete restoration or a 925 with over 100 pictures that will be nice for reference.

Modified Mark posted a thread here about 'the carb' at issue .... has a governor and some other goofiness ....

Mine has nearly driven me nuts .... Gonna punch out a piece of a beer can to defeat that circuit and put some sealer in that jet ....

..... or grab an SDC (which I cannot find around here) and slap that on ...

If it does have a governor, have a look at this bulletin from Homelite regarding tuning the HS 151A carb. Not the usual tuning.

View attachment 461324

You will appreciate this. I found the saw at repair shop, was sitting for a few years in a pile of other saws half under a trailer outside. It has 3 shades of red from the weather and sun. I thought the worst and figured the minimum would be a fuel system overhaul to get it running.

I start looking at the saw a little more and the fuel lines are nice and soft and filter looked OK. Now I'm wonder if the thing will start without going through the carb. Nothing to loose so I gave it a shot. I did nothing with the carb other than find out where it was set - 1 1/2 on the low and 1 1/8 turn on the high which matched your settings in your post so I left it alone. Cleaned the tank out with some mix, added new gas , gave it a bunch of pulls with the spark plug out to flush the system, plug back in, it pops on the 1st pull, choke off - it starts on the second pull and sits there and idles. On top of that there is no throttle lag. I'm speechless!

Great deal! Starter cover color and decal looks like the last of the series, so black for the AF cover is correct.
Dan

You know much more about the Homelites than I. It has thin rings. Does that confirm a later production model? Does that make it a 77cer? Like other American muscle saws there are so may variants of the same saw that makes it hard to keep track. The darn serial number is completely wore off so I can't reference that.

Check the bore on the saw. 2" is 77cc and 2-1/16" is 82cc.

The exhaust port bridge makes it a bit of a pain. I usually split the center out of a popsicle stick and push that in and bring the piston up, mark the wood and measure with calipers.
Thanks.

New project for $20. For the price all I did was pull the cord to make sure everything was moving - huge compression. I'll clean it up a bit later today or tomorrow and see if it runs. I see the filter cover might be wrong. It should be red right? View attachment 461216

Nice find Mark. You should easily get $20 worth of big cc smiles out of that one. I have the same style of carb on a Pioneer 3270 SC. I was thrown off by the high speed setting at first. Dang near had to seat the needle before it would come close to cleaning up in the cut. Mind you, that is with a 16" bar and the same displacement as the Homie. Pretty light load for that era of muscle.

It did have me scratching my head until Eccentric helped out with that document over yonder.

Latest posts

Back