Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys im in need of a coil for c-72 i just got as a christmas present. the smaller wires have rotted right out at the coil. dont have an ipl yet. not sure if a coil off of another homie would work. thanks, josh

thanks. i'm wondering also about the availability and difficulty of replacing the crank seals. no indication that they're bad but since i'm pretty much stripping it down to clean might just as well replace them too. any leads on the whole-saw gasket set?

Probably gonna have to buy gasket material and cut them yourself. Even if you did find a set, this would be WAY cheaper if your on a budget.

hey guys im in need of a coil for c-72 i just got as a christmas present. the smaller wires have rotted right out at the coil. dont have an ipl yet. not sure if a coil off of another homie would work. thanks, josh

Is it just the wire going from the coil to the plug? Or is it the grounding wire? Or is it in the coil?

I may be wrong, but you should be able to just replace that wire. If it is just a grounding wire, then you should be able to run it without it. Just when you wanna turn your saw off your gonna have to choke it out.

haha no i tried that too. its the wire that went to the points that is supposed to open and close the ground path. its rotted at the coil so i need a coil.

haha no i tried that too. its the wire that went to the points that is supposed to open and close the ground path. its rotted at the coil so i need a coil.

Well I tried :msp_sneaky: I always found dangerous ways to rig up my saws and they work just fine. You should be able to find one. Even if you have to buy a parts saw, then on the plus side, you got extra parts.

starting the slow process of rebuilding/restoring this C-5 i bought from the salvage yard. gotten some parts help already from AS members. starting the tear down and cleanup process. i pulled the fuel filter cap and saw the tank was loaded with sludge. can i clean this out without taking the fuel tank apart? also, thinking i might need a gasket set or will have to make my own. anyone got any tips as this is my first homie? thanks

Put a good handfull of small size gravel in the tank along with some solvent like mineral spirits or kerosene. Put on the cap and shake for a while. Check periodically to see how clean it is.
If you do open it up, flatten the cover and tank mating surfaces on some 220 grit self stick sandpaper stuck on some thick glass. Seals a lot easier if the surfaces are real flat. I re-used the original gasket on mine - coated with gasket eliminator from an auto supply store. I even used this stuff with no gasket on an Original EZ tank. No leaks yet after a couple years. Just be sure to let it cure for a few days.

I'm looking for a full wrap for a 1050. What other models use the same?
Thanks Guys.

Aren't we all.......

007-6.jpg

C5 fuel tank leak.

I give up. I put a homemade gasket and sealer on the tank cover three weeks ago. Nearly every day since, I checked for wetness at the bottom because the saw sits just below the garage light switch. Walk into garage this morning and smell a lot more than usual gas oder.:msp_ohmy:

Puppy must have started leaking again last night. He has gained 'run and dump (the fuel)' status.

I give up. I put a homemade gasket and sealer on the tank cover three weeks ago. Nearly every day since, I checked for wetness at the bottom because the saw sits just below the garage light switch. Walk into garage this morning and smell a lot more than usual gas oder.:msp_ohmy:

Puppy must have started leaking again last night. He has gained 'run and dump (the fuel)' status.

Carl I have a rough looking but useable C-5 tank you can have. Just let me get caught up on some other shipping and get through the holidays first. It had an obviously home-made gasket on it when I got it (edges sticking out around the outside). Sucker was holding fine though, with about 1/2 a tank of SKANKY fluid in it. You'll have to crack it open and clean it out I'm sure. Not much paint on the outside, but it doesn't have any cracks, breaks, or repairs that I can see. I'd suggest using an NOS gasket. That's what I'm going to use on my weeping C-5 (avatar pic). Not looking forward to wrestling with those tiny screws....

Carl I have a rough looking but useable C-5 tank you can have. Just let me get caught up on some other shipping and get through the holidays first. It had an obviously home-made gasket on it when I got it (edges sticking out around the outside). Sucker was holding fine though, with about 1/2 a tank of SKANKY fluid in it. You'll have to crack it open and clean it out I'm sure. Not much paint on the outside, but it doesn't have any cracks, breaks, or repairs that I can see. I'd suggest using an NOS gasket. That's what I'm going to use on my weeping C-5 (avatar pic). Not looking forward to wrestling with those tiny screws....

No worries, I'm just going to live with it as it is. Someday I may get a roll of rubberized material from O'Reillys and try again.

C5 cuts OK with the .404 on the 20" hardnose. You have to let it cut on its own or it will bog. Takes a fine touch.

No worries, I'm just going to live with it as it is. Someday I may get a roll of rubberized material from O'Reillys and try again.

C5 cuts OK with the .404 on the 20" hardnose. You have to let it cut on its own or it will bog. Takes a fine touch.

Let me know if you change your mind and decide you want to try my tank Carl. What's the condition of the P/C/Rings on that saw? My C-5's both had no trouble with 20" hardnoses and .404. The 26" hardnose I had on one for a while took a somewhat lighter touch, but I still didn't have to baby it.

Latest posts

Back