Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went cutting today. Filed the points on the 902 down to nothing and replaced the high tension wire. It was happier. The XL-76 I dropped the gasket on and put a new(er) top-end in, absolutely destroyed the rounds. Such strong machines for the sub-60cc class. There were a few other machines to rotate into the mix. The Homelites sure enjoy the cooler weather. They always run stronger.

September 17 2016 2.jpg

The one with the chain brake?

Good saw. 77cc. Pretty simple to work on. If you want I'll PM you a repair manual and an IPL.

I fixed up a few of them if you need any help.
The one with the chain brake?

Good saw. 77cc. Pretty simple to work on. If you want I'll PM you a repair manual and an IPL.

I fixed up a few of them if you need any help.

Thanks fossil , it has the brake and for sure , send what manuals you can, I need the setting for L. And H, when it's pushed or going thru big wood I notice the muffler gets wet with gas , I sealed the leak coming from the tank with a new grommet the guy I got it from said it was his grandpa s who had just passed , he must have played with it tho because after checking first thing was no air filter or trace of it , emptied the fuel tank and found about 1/2 shot glass of chips in the fuel tank and filter and possibly straight gas , then I notice chain on backwards and the plates upside down so holes for oiling don't line up . I ended up just making an air filter using the fine mesh sheeting I got from a reverse osmosis membrane cut to size taped off with masking tape and then I ran a bead of high temp silicon smoothed it out and left to dry and then with the air filter in got it to idle on its own, it's running near full power this weekend maybe put and he on it in between people looking for firewood, this is the biggest saw I have atm and it's great.
It needs a chain if I'm gonna use it much any good online sources?

Thanks fossil , it has the brake and for sure , send what manuals you can, I need the setting for L. And H, when it's pushed or going thru big wood I notice the muffler gets wet with gas , I sealed the leak coming from the tank with a new grommet the guy I got it from said it was his grandpa s who had just passed , he must have played with it tho because after checking first thing was no air filter or trace of it , emptied the fuel tank and found about 1/2 shot glass of chips in the fuel tank and filter and possibly straight gas , then I notice chain on backwards and the plates upside down so holes for oiling don't line up . I ended up just making an air filter using the fine mesh sheeting I got from a reverse osmosis membrane cut to size taped off with masking tape and then I ran a bead of high temp silicon smoothed it out and left to dry and then with the air filter in got it to idle on its own, it's running near full power this weekend maybe put and he on it in between people looking for firewood, this is the biggest saw I have atm and it's great.
It needs a chain if I'm gonna use it much any good online sources?

I thought I sent you a PM with some info but can't find it now. Did you get one?

Your carb metering needle may be popping off at low pressure or just leaking. Check to make sure the rubber on the end of the needle is good and the metering lever is set at the right height. If it's too high, it will flodd when not running. Clean the needle seat area well to make sure there isn't a piece of dirt in there. It should not pop off under 10 psi. It's OK if it's higher. Don't put much more than 10 psi into the carb.

I put a new needle in with the carb kit. But it looks like I'll be taking it apart again and checking everything. How do I change the height?

Make sure the metering diaphragm is hooked onto the lever.
Here's a link to a copy of the WS manual.
I'm attaching a Tillotson HS manual. Look at page 6 and it shows you how to adjust the metering lever height.
Use the Walbro WS manual for the correct height. Little tiny adjustments can make a big difference so don't move it much at a time.

Make sure you refer to the diagram in the manual.

The side of the carb with the needle is the metering side (lets the right amount of fuel in)
The other side is the pump side which draws fuel from the tank.

On the metering side, The gasket is against the carb body, diaphragm on top, against the cover

On the pump side, the diaphragm is against the carb body. The gasket is against the cover.

All cube carbs I've seen are put together like this. There could be exceptions I don't know about.

Attachments

• Tillotson HS.pdf
    806.4 KB · Views: 4
Quick question about my homelite xl auto oiler. Seems to run decently, starts easily, and cuts well for what it is as far as I can tell. I don't have a lot of saw experience thoigh. So two things:

1. Sometimes it will really bog down in a cut if it's been going for a while, the chain nearly stopping. I don't think it's getting pinched because I am able to make it through the cut when I start over.

2. Frequently but not always, especially after the saw has been running for a bit after finishing a cut, the chain will run at idle for a few seconds (5-20) then stop and idle normally. Sometimes blipping the throttle will stop this.

Any thoughts? I think I have the carb and chain tension adjusted correctly based on what I've read.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Replaced fuel line and filter, seal on cap intact, and I replaced the duckbills. Anything else I can check?

I don't have the tools to do pressure checks. I didn't put a carb kit in. I did take the covers off and the carb gaskets looked new so I didn't replace them. I didn't really want to buy a carb kit because it was more than I paid for the saw... However I do realize you usually get what you pay for.

I'll try to get one next time I have a chance. Thanks!

Make sure the metering diaphragm is hooked onto the lever.
Here's a link to a copy of the WS manual.
I'm attaching a Tillotson HS manual. Look at page 6 and it shows you how to adjust the metering lever height.
Use the Walbro WS manual for the correct height. Little tiny adjustments can make a big difference so don't move it much at a time.

Make sure you refer to the diagram in the manual.

The side of the carb with the needle is the metering side (lets the right amount of fuel in)
The other side is the pump side which draws fuel from the tank.

On the metering side, The gasket is against the carb body, diaphragm on top, against the cover

On the pump side, the diaphragm is against the carb body. The gasket is against the cover.

All cube carbs I've seen are put together like this. There could be exceptions I don't know about.

Thanks, I'll take a look once work calms down this week. Hoping its something simple.

Latest posts

Back