Homelite Super EZ: best Homelite ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillG, I have a friend who's lookin for 150. I'll PM you if that's OK? His was from his brother that passed away, and it accidently got smashed.

My super ez is in need of a clutch. Anyone got one?

I think SXL XL family was probably the best. But, I like ALL saws.;)

I think its important to understand the chainsaw market as it existed in the mid-1960's through the late 1970's: While we could applaud technical advances or styling in the xl-1xx or XL400, I don't think many buyers were considering that.

They needed to cut a little wood. This whole internet thing has made it easy for us to compare apples to oranges, and fall victim to marketing departments everywhere.

I have two S-ez's, a regular (blue) EZ, and various parts. They ARE neat little saws and I would agree with most of what's been said about them. But in the end, they are really "best" in the same way that a Chevy is "better" than a Pontiac. They sold more, so more people remember them fondly.

I also have 2 red 150's and two blue ones. The red ones are nice-looking saws, but the blue ones not so much (IMO). Red and Blue xl-12/Sxl's; I like the blue and white ones a little better, but not the last ones they sold to try to cash in on nostalgia. And I have not stopped searching for the (complete and decent) Holy Grail red, white and green XL-12! I have also seen a few JD green Sxl's, but it seems like the folks that own them think they're sitting on a gold mine, LOL!

I have one of those red, green and white XL-12's; I call it my Holiday saw. I've only seen one other example like that. I think it was only on the market for a couple years in those colors.

The rest of your post has your usual accurate take on market realities. XL-12 chassis saws are seemingly everywhere still to this day. I've never run accross any of the XL-1xx saws except at a GTG. They might have had some changes/improvements that the marketing guys could talk about, but the public obviously didn't buy into it or whatever price premium there was between the two saw families. Buyers often ask themselves, "What is the more expensive saw going to do that the less expensive one can't do?" It's the same reason that 455 Ranchers and MS290's sell so well today. (No intention on my part to insult the XL-12 there. LOL)

Dan,

With all due respect, I will not go as far as saying you are nuts but I will disagree. The 150 had its place but the SEZ was a much superior saw. If you ever want a new 150 let me know. I have one left. The new SEZ will stay here.

Bill

I'll pass on the new 150 Bill... Agree the carb is a bit easier to get to on a SEZ, but if ya gotta do a complete teardown, I'll bet most people will find the 150 is engineered to be a far simpler saw to repair. :)

Dan

I'll bet most people will find the 150 is engineered to be a far simpler saw to repair. :)Dan

That it is, once you learn the procedure and a couple tricks.

Thing is though, the two most common repairs needed on saws from that era are the fuel and ign systems. I find it unforgivable to have to remove the whole engine from it's case in order to perform those repairs. Just my take on it.

To the original part of this thread about the Super EZ, I agree about it probably being the second best Homelite ever made. Wonderfull little saws that acted like larger ones.

The EZ and EZ auto being smaller displacement, not so much. The high compression on the SEZ made the decomp a necessity and even then you have to give it a sharp pull.

I also agree with the statements about the XL-12. That saw started a new trend in the business.

One of the first lightweight saws for sure but I have a problem with it being called the first "modern" lightweight as it was a manual only oiler and to me the first "modern" saws were the ones with auto oilers.

Once the auto oilers were added, the lightweight part was still there, but nothing really any better or worse then the other companies saws.

I really have my doubts about how far ahead Homelite was with that saw as well. Within 1 years time, lots of similar saws were on the market. I find it hard to believe that the other manufatures could catch up with a saw like that within a single year, if they didnt already have things on the drawing board as well.

Still you have to give Homelite lots of credit for beating the others to the punch and creating a good durable saw that sold for a very long time!

Like was said earlier, maybe too long for there own good.

OK then Mark whats your take on the #1 homelite ever :) Seems like I remember you long ago saying you werent fond of the 925's didn't want to restart for you when hot? Can't remember exactly

OK then Mark whats your take on the #1 homelite ever :) Seems like I remember you long ago saying you werent fond of the 925's didn't want to restart for you when hot? Can't remember exactly

#1? I'm not sure, thats a big statement to make and I have not had the honor to have run them all!

I would not argue the XL-12-SXLAO suggestions even though I would not group those two together myself. I also agree that the SEZ Auto has to be up near the top.

As far as the 925's, you evidently misunderstood me. I am QUITE fond of them. Very powerfull machines and well made. I like alot of things about them but that don't mean I have to blindly like everything about them. There like all saw's and have there faults as well.

My issue with starting them hot, was when there boiling the gas in them and you run them out. They will not restart till cooled off. They should have had decomps as well.

Don't take my statements to meaning anything derogitory on Homelites, just giving my veiwpoints as I see them and like the original poster was asking for.

Super EZ was the first saw I ever ran, my old man bought it new and used it for over 30 years and it still ran when he got rid of it, wish I had known he was getting rid of it because I wanted to fix it up.

Yup, I have never seen a 2.5 c.i. saw that would pull a buried 16in bar with 3/8 on it like an SEZ. Not fast but they would not bog. They had a great sound to them and the additional manual oiler was good for really dry wood. Also I bet you couldnt find too many 2.5 ci saws with a compression release system on them for starting, thats how bad those little guys were.

I have a regular EZ and have ran the blue EZ's, but there is a noticable power gain with the Supers. A regular EZ just doesnt have the nuts and is 2.3 c.i. I believe. Later SEZ's with the plastic recoil really turned me off and personally I dont think they had the nuts of the saws made in the 60's and 70's either.

My favorite Homelite saw for sure.

When I was first getting started with my Dad in the early 70's all of our climbers had EZ's and all of the ground men had XL12's, and our big saws were Super 1050 Auto's. I love all 3 of those saws. My cousin and I are 4th generation in the tree care industry and he says his favorite Homelite of all time was the 925, for some reason we never had one. After Dad passed away, mom had a yard sale, and I cleaned out my shed too. I sold about 20 old saws and all but 2 were Super EZ's and Super XL12's. The other 2 were a medium and a large Echo, I forget what models, but both of those saw were nice too. I still have two of our Super 1050 Autos and one blue XL12. Wish I would have kept all of the old Homies, Joe.

Love my SEZ. Near mint condtion

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jgBAvfPW78k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jgBAvfPW78k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Courtesy link ECCENTRIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBAvfPW78k

XL-12 has to have one of my favorite exhaust tones. LOUD

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9pqpxcnzC68?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9pqpxcnzC68?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqpxcnzC68

Thing is though, the two most common repairs needed on saws from that era are the fuel and ign systems. I find it unforgivable to have to remove the whole engine from it's case in order to perform those repairs. Just my take on it.

Totally agree with ya Mark regarding the fuel and ign. systems, but removing a handle bar and 4 bolts ain't that big a deal to get at the carb is it? :). Heck, if you need to get at the ignition on a SEZ, you have to remove 4 bolts to get the starter cover off, so that's not really much difference.

Dan

Add me to the list who thinks they're "one of, but not the best". They do run well for a small saw, but they have lots of component parts and not the easiest to put a wrench on. Other may say I'm nuts, but I find a 150 or even a little XL or Super 2 easier to work on.

Dan

You are nuts Dan!:hmm3grin2orange:

Never run one or a S-XL, but I do have a 360. I haven't used it that much, but it does seem like a handy little saw. It gets right after it with a 16" bar and 3/8 chain.

Oh, and my Super Wiz 80 does a beautiful job anchoring the shelves. If we ever have an earthquake, I know not a single McCulloch will be tossed so long as the big Homie stands sentry.

Nobody'd wanna mess with those McCullochs with that big bad SW80 standing watch!

To the original part of this thread about the Super EZ, I agree about it probably being the second best Homelite ever made. Wonderfull little saws that acted like larger ones.

The EZ and EZ auto being smaller displacement, not so much. The high compression on the SEZ made the decomp a necessity and even then you have to give it a sharp pull.

I also agree with the statements about the XL-12. That saw started a new trend in the business.

One of the first lightweight saws for sure but I have a problem with it being called the first "modern" lightweight as it was a manual only oiler and to me the first "modern" saws were the ones with auto oilers.

Once the auto oilers were added, the lightweight part was still there, but nothing really any better or worse then the other companies saws.

I really have my doubts about how far ahead Homelite was with that saw as well. Within 1 years time, lots of similar saws were on the market. I find it hard to believe that the other manufatures could catch up with a saw like that within a single year, if they didnt already have things on the drawing board as well.

Still you have to give Homelite lots of credit for beating the others to the punch and creating a good durable saw that sold for a very long time!

Like was said earlier, maybe too long for there own good.

I agree about those damn 150's.

I grouped the XL12/SXL-AO saws together when I stated they were the first 'modern' lightweight saws. I didn't mean just the model designated XL12. The auto oiler versions were available almost imediately (XL12-Auto). Homelite sold manual only (XL12), auto/manual, and auto only (has a threaded plug in place of the manual oiler pump) versions of those saws. All three were sold through the '60s, and the auto/manual and manual only saws were sold through the '80s. It's true that there wasn't anything really better than the other manufacturer's saws............other than the fact that Homelite did much of thier R&D for them. The fact that Homelite wasn't really that far ahead of everybody else within short order doesn't reflect negatively on the XL12-series...............it just reflects possitively on the 'reverse engineering departments' of their competitors.....:laugh:

Love my SEZ. Near mint condtion

Courtesy link ECCENTRIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBAvfPW78k

XL-12 has to have one of my favorite exhaust tones. LOUD

Very nice Mitch! Thanks for thinking of me.

Totally agree with ya Mark regarding the fuel and ign. systems, but removing a handle bar and 4 bolts ain't that big a deal to get at the carb is it? :). Heck, if you need to get at the ignition on a SEZ, you have to remove 4 bolts to get the starter cover off, so that's not really much difference.

Dan

Yeah I see your point, but remember what's easy for you and I maynot be quite all that for your average Joe!

It's true that there wasn't anything really better than the other manufacturer's saws............other than the fact that Homelite did much of thier R&D for them. The fact that Homelite wasn't really that far ahead of everybody else within short order doesn't reflect negatively on the XL12-series...............it just reflects possitively on the 'reverse engineering departments' of their competitors.....:laugh:

Well Aaron you might be right in that assesment, but then again maybe not.

I'm still not convinced about all that "reverse engineering"untill I see some solid proof. Like you said though if the other companies could do it that fast, that would have had to be something.

Like I said, don't take my comments to be negative, I don't mean them that way, just pointing out other viewpoints.

I have been called a closet Homelite lover before.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah I see your point, but remember what's easy for you and I maynot be quite all that for your average Joe!

Well Aaron you might be right in that assesment, but then again maybe not.

I'm still not convinced about all that "reverse engineering"untill I see some solid proof. Like you said though if the other companies could do it that fast, that would have had to be something.

Like I said, don't take my comments to be negative, I don't mean them that way, just pointing out other viewpoints.

I have been called a closet Homelite lover before.. :hmm3grin2orange:

It's all in fun Mark, and will make for some good-natured ribbing around the campfire if we're ever lucky enough to be at the same GTG. Those Poulan/Dayton "XL12-ish" saws are indeed fine saws, as are the Lombards, Remingtons, Ropers, and others that look like 'em. Some are better performers than the XL12 family. The Poulans and Lombards of larger displacement/power than the XL12/SXL saws seem to have been more successful than the XL400 and XL500 saws (which were Homelite's "up-sized" versions of the XL12 family). I'm really impressed with the build quality and design of my little Remington SL-9, even though I haven't started it yet. For them to have come out with saws that were so 'similar' in such a short time.................I have to wonder if they had some 'insiders' within Homelite...:hmm3grin2orange:

Dern tootin' :chainsawguy:.

and I do really like SEZs also, just not more than most other Homelites. :)

Dan

Is it hypocritical for a guy who has dozens of old chainsaws (half of which are parts or 'project' saws)............................and who spends most of his free time scanning ebay and CL for saw and parts to call another guy nuts because that guy prefers to work on one type of ancient saw over another???:hmm3grin2orange:

It's all in fun Mark, and will make for some good-natured ribbing around the campfire if we're ever lucky enough to be at the same GTG. Those Poulan/Dayton "XL12-ish" saws are indeed fine saws, as are the Lombards, Remingtons, Ropers, and others that look like 'em. Some are better performers than the XL12 family. The Poulans and Lombards of larger displacement/power than the XL12/SXL saws seem to have been more successful than the XL400 and XL500 saws (which were Homelite's "up-sized" versions of the XL12 family). I'm really impressed with the build quality and design of my little Remington SL-9, even though I haven't started it yet. For them to have come out with saws that were so 'similar' in such a short time.................I have to wonder if they had some 'insiders' within Homelite...:hmm3grin2orange:

Like was said before, it would be geat to talk to some factory people from back in those days! From differnt brands as well.

You know I have not been into all of those different brands you mention, and I have to say from the ones I have been into the Poulans actually seem to be the most like them.

I have had people ask if parts would interchange and for the most part what I have found is no. There is quite a bit different in them if you looked at them.

The Remingtons from what I have seen are really the most different.

No would be a good time to tell you that I do own a Homelite SXLAO and I will say there a fine machine.

They sure had there problems with those ignitions when they went to electronic on them though, those coil/modules went out left and right.

This one was a electronic setup but when it went out I swapped it back to a point coil and a atom module and it runs sweet now.

attachment.php

Is it hypocritical for a guy who has dozens of old chainsaws (half of which are parts or 'project' saws)............................and who spends most of his free time scanning ebay and CL for saw and parts to call another guy nuts because that guy prefers to work on one type of ancient saw over another???:hmm3grin2orange:

Naaaaa, wouldn't say hypocritical... opinionated maybe, but never hypocritical :).

Dan

Latest posts

Back