Homelite Super EZ: best Homelite ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naaaaa, wouldn't say hypocritical... opinionated maybe, but never hypocritical :).

Dan

Dan, I think opinionated is good as long as it comes from hands on real world experiance!

How much of that we been gettin around here lately. :hmm3grin2orange:

I agree. Plenty of 'armchair commandos' on AS lately it seems. I've had more than enough real world experience with 150s, mini-macs, and other 'chinese puzzle' saws to last me a lifetime however. Since I do this for 'fun' now (instead of doing it for a paycheck like I used to).............I get to choose what saws I work on (or turn down)...:D

It was just such a well made, well packaged little saw. It performs beyond its displacement and design age. That little sucker will pull a 16" bar of 3/8" chain (not LP) with surprising gusto. They're not fast, but they are strong. They're a very handy, sweet running little saw that does whatever you ask of it. They're durable, dependable, and the design was in production for close to thirty years.

Having said all that (and I believe every word of it)...........I believe it's Homelite's second best saw. In my opinion (there's the disclaimer).....the XL12/SXL-AO family saws are the best saw that Homelite ever made. I also believe that they are the most influencial chainsaw ever built by any manufacturer.

They ushered in the age of the truely lightweight, portable, handy midrange chainsaw. Many manufacturers made saws that were 'strongly influenced' by that saw family. Those saws were manufactured with minor variations of displacement, cosmetics, and other details. Some were more powerful, some were lighter. All owed their existance to the XL12/SXL-AO.

The XL12-AO saw series was built for thirty years, with few changes. They still perform well, and are as reliable as a claw hammer. The design outlived many 'newer' Homelite designs that were meant to replace it (360, 300, 330, 350, 410, XL100-series, etc). Yes there have been many advances in power, speed, and comfort since these saws were designed, but this series set the benchmark and created a popular saw class.

The 50-60cc midrange size/weight/power class is still going strong worldwide, and all who sell or use saws in this range owe a debt of thanks to the REAL Homelite folks, and their XL12/SXL-AO saws.:cheers:

Agreed.

I also think if you're just getting started tinkering on chainsaws, the XL12 line is probably the BEST place to start. Cheap, easy to find parts, mostly metal construction & logical engineering makes these a lot of fun to work on. While I tend not to keep homelites (I really only keep saws I am going to use) it is rare I will pass up an XL12 or similar at a garage sale. Usually buy, fix up & sell - with the hope that the buyer will continue to use it even today.

Agreed.

I also think if you're just getting started tinkering on chainsaws, the XL12 line is probably the BEST place to start. Cheap, easy to find parts, mostly metal construction & logical engineering makes these a lot of fun to work on. While I tend not to keep homelites (I really only keep saws I am going to use) it is rare I will pass up an XL12 or similar at a garage sale. Usually buy, fix up & sell - with the hope that the buyer will continue to use it even today.

Good for you. At least you're keeping them alive and saving 'em from the scrapyard or one of the feebay saw-strippers...:cheers:

Plenty of 'armchair commandos' on AS lately it seems.

attachment.php

Dan, I think opinionated is good as long as it comes from hands on real world experiance!

How much of that we been gettin around here lately. :hmm3grin2orange:

Words of wisdom there Mark. I do my best to respect everyone's opinion, even if it doesn't make the least bit of sense to me..... but I sure as heck need some good proof before it influences what I think. ;)

Dan

Hi Friends

I am new and green on my Homelite saws. Is the Homelite Super EZ chainsaw the same as Homelite EZ automatic chainsaw? Any help will be great.

I am Don Jackson living in centeral Alabama Glad to be here learning more about Saws. Thanks Don

Same saw family. The E-Z Auto has a smaller bore than the Super. There are also several other minor differences related to running design/part changes throughout the production history of this series (rather than specifically differences between the E-Z and the Super E-Z).

Not sure if you realized that you posted in an almost six year old thread BTW....

20151028_195003.jpg here's a pic of my super nice super ez gave $20 for it and dumped in fresh gas and went to town. Tough little saws, I'm a poulan guy but even if musta admit though the xl12 super xl was the standard most companies modeled their saws after.

For those that notice don't worry that rag it's on don't double as my boxer shorts anymore haha

View attachment 525818 here's a pic of my super nice super ez gave $20 for it and dumped in fresh gas and went to town. Tough little saws, I'm a poulan guy but even if musta admit though the xl12 super xl was the standard most companies modeled their saws after.

For those that notice don't worry that rag it's on don't double as my boxer shorts anymore haha
I've seen people on this forum who just love the Super EZ. What's the story? Why is it special? Was it the "best" Homelite ever made?

I just listed this one on CL for 145.00---- has Electronic Ignition---

HOMELITE SUPER EZ 005.JPG

I had a super ez given to me . All I had to do to get it started was put on a new fuel line. I gave it a try and was surpised. It has a 16 inch bar with 3/8 pitch chain.

I wonder if that's what's wrong with mine.

Although it wasn't a easy starting saw when it was new.

Latest posts

Back