Homeowner needs help on choosing a stihl(250-290)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think you bought the right saw. i agree with others that the 290 is heavy for the power. i borrowed a buddies 250 for some limbing work and it was great. if i were to buy i small saw i would get a 250 with a 16" bar.

as for carrying all my stuff i have a milk crate with a piece of plywood at the bottom with the oil mix, bar oil, tools, extra chains, gloves, ear muff, glasses, rags, etc etc. for the tools, files, screw drivers etc i have a water bottle that i could the top off of wire tied to the side of the crate

Do you guys recommend the case to protect these saws.

It depends how much time the saw will spend in the back of the pickup, or other hazardous, rough-n-tumble area. If it lives primarily in your shed or garage and it is a short walk to your woodpile, or moves out in an ATV holster, then you don't need a case.

HF

Did you really say they felt the same weight? Not even close to the same weight. Good purchase.

I know they are not the same weight but overall I didn't find any of the stihl really heavy.

For keeping my stuff together for moving around I use one of these bags from Ikea. They cost ~60 cents. Put some old newspaper inside and the saw on top. I usually only mix a pint at once and use it up. So the fuel and oil fit also easily inside the bag.

View attachment 251817
attachment.php

I will have to look into something like this. Right now I have a box for the chain oil and stiff and the saw next to it,

Well I was able to use my saw today. I probably cut down 15-18 tree's. The biggest was a 12 inch pine and it never slowed down. I found the power more than sufficient even in the hardwoods. It was nice to not have to reach all the way to the ground to limb the tree's. My brother who has the 290 came and used it as well and he really liked it. He didn;t directly say but he was kept hinting he liked using my saw more. The only pain was cold starting the saw. It seems way more sensitive to choke then any of my other 2-stroke equipment. I really liked using this saw and it cut a 10 inch hardwood tree with ease. The only time it bogged a bit was when I was really leaning on it. I found that if you don't lean to hard on it and let the chain just dig it cuts really nice. It also took way less time than I was expecting. I started around 10 and I had the logs cut of and everything cleaned up by 12. This included runnign all the pines into the woods and cleaning up all the branches and leaves. So far I am really happy with its puchase and this was all with the stock green chain. I just ordered a stock muffler so I am little excited to see what opening the muffler up will do. I didn't take any pics of the stumps but I called in a favor with my buddy and he will be removing the stumps with his excavator for me.

I even was able to go fishing today. THe hurricane coming up the cost made for some really big swells but the fish were biting so we stayed and had a blast.

Thanks guys for your help with choosing this saw..

husky 353 was the best firewood saw i ever had-flawless performance---have wished i had it back every day since i sold it------have a stihl 270 now but still think the old husky 353 is a better choice

It obviously was, no doubt about that!

he is happy with what he has. what difference does it make to you?

personally i like stihls better grew up using them and they feel better in my hands. the local stihl dealer is better than the local husky dealer (only two local dealers)

School us, what options in the MS250 class and cost are better options ? New saws, not used stuff.

Maybe we should ask ST how much time he has had using a MS 250

Not just handling them in a saw shop but actually using them other than just starting them up :dizzy:

To make it clear for ST cutting with them

Not just handling them in a saw shop but actually using them other than just starting them up :dizzy:

I have worked on and cut with some of those, and they basically are as as "unfriendly" to work on as possible (worse than a POS Poulan), and didn't cut anywhere close to a comparable Husky (the ol' 45).

Those were German made ones, not the "strangled" VB ones, with a lower power rating.

Last edited:

Yes I would like to know the same, ST really has something against the MS250. I have an EFCO 165, Sthil 026 and the MS250, I like the 250 and think it's a good saw for it's intended use, the muffler mod perks it up nicely.

edit= guess I know now...

I have worked on and cut with some of those, and they basically are as as "unfriendly" to work on as possible (worse than a POS Poulan), and didn't cut anywhere close to a comparable Husky (the ol' 45).

Those were German made ones, not the "strangled" VB ones, with a lower power rating.

So you started one up

After reading your answer; I'll be sure to come to you with question on the MS 250 from now on :bang:

ST knows alot about chain saw's but he is better at bs'ing about something he doesn't know anything about

ST in his own little world has said about how Stihl's have "plastic crank cases" if he ever worked on one he would know different than that :biggrin: but he said (above) he has work on them HMMMMM :bang:

Last edited:
I never thought of that. I will look into that as well.

I did not get the case for this saw. Do you guys recommend the case to protect these saws. Right now I got a box with the oil, tools and chain in there and the saw separate with the saw cover on it. Will the hard plastic case be able to store all of this stuff or will I still need to store the oil and all separate. I am planning on doing some cutting tomorrow and will update this accordingly.

I'd recommend the plastic storage case because all my saws leak some oil after using them. It sure is easier cleaning up the oil in the case than an oil puddle on the shelf or floor. If it's going to be stored for a long time I always empty the oil and fuel tanks.

Stihl makes a nice case and if you upgrade, keep the case for the next saw. The square style Husqvarna/Echo/Northern style case would probably work as well. All have spots for tools and room for some accessories.

Last edited:
Yea I hear you on the expensive hobbies. I have everyone you guys mentioned except classic cars. I sold mine a few years back but lately I have been wanting another.

I will take another look at the case but not considered about oil stains on my shelf. Its a pole barn and theres a few oil spots around from previous cars/truck repairs.

Cold starting an MS250

I know they are not the same weight but overall I didn't find any of the stihl really heavy.

I will have to look into something like this. Right now I have a box for the chain oil and stiff and the saw next to it,

Well I was able to use my saw today. I probably cut down 15-18 tree's. The biggest was a 12 inch pine and it never slowed down. I found the power more than sufficient even in the hardwoods. It was nice to not have to reach all the way to the ground to limb the tree's. My brother who has the 290 came and used it as well and he really liked it. He didn;t directly say but he was kept hinting he liked using my saw more. The only pain was cold starting the saw. It seems way more sensitive to choke then any of my other 2-stroke equipment. I really liked using this saw and it cut a 10 inch hardwood tree with ease. The only time it bogged a bit was when I was really leaning on it. I found that if you don't lean to hard on it and let the chain just dig it cuts really nice. It also took way less time than I was expecting. I started around 10 and I had the logs cut of and everything cleaned up by 12. This included runnign all the pines into the woods and cleaning up all the branches and leaves. So far I am really happy with its puchase and this was all with the stock green chain. I just ordered a stock muffler so I am little excited to see what opening the muffler up will do. I didn't take any pics of the stumps but I called in a favor with my buddy and he will be removing the stumps with his excavator for me.

I even was able to go fishing today. THe hurricane coming up the cost made for some really big swells but the fish were biting so we stayed and had a blast.

Thanks guys for your help with choosing this saw..

Cold starting the MS250 is easier than you may think, mainly because these saws do not often "pop" to tell you when to ease off the choke. And if you don't hear it, so you don't switch to half choke, you can flood them very easily.

Try this:

• Set for full choke.
  • Pull the starter cord twice.
  • Set for half choke even if you didn't hear it pop.
  • Pull the starter cord until it starts.
  • Switch the choke off.
  • Have fun.

These are great little saws for what they cost. I'd recommend the 16" bar on them, but it sounds like most of your stuff is well under 16", so an 18" should be fine and it will give you a little extra reach for limbing.

Enjoy your saw.

That's why I like the bags.I put in an old newspaper and if it's stained just through it into the garbage or the fireplace and put in a new one. My saws are transported in the trunk of my car so I am not worried like others about a bumping around in the back of a pickup. The bags are actually extremly toughand I haven't had to replace any.

Latest posts

Back