How do I cut down my fallen Oak from my yard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultimate Wifey

Reaction score
Hey All! I have a 30+ year old Oak (I think) which has uprooted due to the recent snow storm in the NE this past weekend. It's hard to explain how the tree is angled since the tree trunk splits about 15ft above ground and is now leaning upward with one part of the trunk completely on the ground with the heaviest part still upward at about a 60 degree angle (see photo DSCN1854). My husband and I will be cutting it down tomorrow and really need some input on how to best tackle the cutting down of the tree without doing any further damage.
The tree is about 50ft. tall and just as wide. The back part of the tree is about 25ft. above our back deck, and will most likely drop once the tree hits the ground causing much damage...which is something that I'm trying to avoid. One side of the tree is in my driveway, so no bid deal, but the other side is leaning on my neighbor's house. Cutting down the lower branches to relieve the pressure that the tree limbs are putting on the houses is not a big deal, but cutting the branches above, is a different story.
I'm attaching pictures so that you can view the tree and provide me advice on (1) how and where to start cutting, (2) besides a chainsaw and come along winch, what else is needed and (3) if I should leave it to the professionals, what can I do to minimize my cost? The insurance is considering this "tree debris" and has put a cap of $500 reimbursement to have the tree removed, which in my part of the woods, is chump change considered to what they're gonna charge me. I know there are risks, but I prefer to do much of it myself and then call the professionals to do the rest.
Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance...

This is what insurance is for. Contact your homeowners insurance and see what they will do. Any damage that is caused by you trying to clean it up you WILL be liable for. Leave this one for the pros. Even at 500 reimbursement you could cause more damage than you could save.

Last edited:
One way to minimize the cost is to have the tree co. just chip the brush and leave the big wood you can put an ad on craigslist later for somebody to pick up or ask your friends if they have a fireplace and want oak I think it would go like hot cakes.

If you have to ask, odds are you are not framilliar with the hazzards that are inherent.
You could save 3-400 bucks and count on dumb luck, or end up with 20K in hospital bills.
Have a tree service block it up and haul away the brush, and just roll the rounds to the curb.

There is significant mass and tension in that tree, and if approached wrongly, can easily maim.
If your hubby has some experience, he already should have an idea how to approach it.

If you go ahead and go at it anyhow, just remember that tree is going to try and stand back up as soon as the crown is unloaded.
Quite often they will stand up like a Catapault and launch the unwary and any tangled limbs a good distance.
If you do not understand the tension and forces involved, and where they will be redirected when cutting, leave it alone.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

try to find a small company with low overhead, be sure they are insured, to save money have them leave everything, the less time they have into the job, the less money it will cost
the right knowledge and tools will make short work of putting that on the ground so it is safe for you to finish cleaning up
likely get that done for 5-700$ id think, shouldnt take but 2 hours from the time they start unloading tools to the time theyre on the way to the next job
speaking as a tree guy, id actually be inclined to want more if you start the job and ask me to finish, yould likely make very different choices as to what to cut, how to stack brush, etc... and ultimately make my job harder then if you didnt touch anything
then i know you want to be involved and help, but while they are working, stay out of the way and leave them work

I'll just repeat what everyone else is saying here. call a tree guy..
To keep the cost to a minimum, try to find a tree co with a crane and just have them get it off the house and make the situation safe for you and your hubby to cut up. should only take them a couple hours or less and shouldn't be much more then the 500$ the insurance co is willing to pay.
better safe then sorry

Like the guys are saying, get a pro involved. Their are 2 elements to your problem, knowledge and equipment. You are self admittedly short on knowledge and I'll guarantee you are short on the proper equipment. All the advice you've been given is sound. Have a pro put that leaner on the ground, block it up into manageable chunks, and chip the debris. In the long run you're gonna be much happier with the result. I know money may be an issue, but you gotta figure out how much it'll cost when part of that tree bashes through your neighbor's wall or trashes his roof, not to mention the damage in community relations...

If it touches and subsequently damages your neighbors house, it is on his homeowners insurance until you touch it.

Touchy relations problem, albeit.

I would call a professional. No sense in you guys getting hurt or causing damage to property. That is a Maple tree not an Oak.

Yes...thanks for the clarification! I realized it was a maple after I read an article in the Home & Garden Magazine that had just came in...glad I also consulted you guys! Hubby and I have removed most of the tree on our own by cutting back and now we're waiting for someone to call me back to come and remove the highest point of the tree. It's been very hectic in the area here with all the trees that have fallen and just getting a call back from someone to come out and quote us has been challenging. Just hoping that someone will come out soon before it comes down on it's own. Part of the root is still in the ground, so I think it'll take a while before it dies out...I could be wrong. Just hope someone will call me back to come take a look at it & hopefully remove the remainder of it. Crossing fingers!

I miss my tree very much & am very sad that it came down, but I'm already researching on a replacement, because I refuse to see my yard without a tree.

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

Agree with everyone else

I'm definitely a do it yourself kind of person, but I have learned mostly the hard way inexperience and lack of the proper tools always ends up costing more if not financially it's the headache. In your case say a $750 bill or a $2,000 headache.

Doing this work, the right tools are very important. A chainsaw in skilled hands could get it done, but about the time your ready to have a cold one, you notice there is a huge pile of debris and wood that needs to go as well.

A tree service would have the skilled people, right tools, and haul off everything. Make sure they are insured though

Back