How do you guys haul your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd keep the TD42T, I really like them.
I've read it is actually a UD engine that the Nissan car guys borrowed, which would make sense and they are so understressed in stock form.

Having said the eventual plan is for an Isuzu in the Landy.
There's a bloke in the States pushing upwards of 60psi in a sequential turboed 4BD1T Isuzu ATM :D

I've read it is actually a UD engine that the Nissan car guys borrowed, which would make sense and they are so understressed in stock form.

There's a bloke in the States pushing upwards of 60psi in a sequential turboed 4BD1T Isuzu ATM :D

Yes a bigger turbo would help Al out ;)

The army used to use Isuzus in their landys right? They make great engines - the earlier diesels got up 600000+kms without touching them. I haven't had much experience with the late models.

Still use the TD05 housing and swap the compressor and turbine (can't recall what ones to use though) up the boost (stock is only around 7psi IIRC) up the fuel, adjust the pump timing and a must is a 3" exhaust.

having said all that, ours is still stock :laugh:

The Army use the 4BD1 in the 110's and the turbo version in the 6x6, that's the one I want.
As you said 600,000-1,000,000km easily and like the TD42T they are so understressed it isn't funny.
Bloody good engines, the only downside is it's such a big 4 they rock and roll a bit at idle, but big deal, it's a Defender. :D

Yeah I heard about the relation with UD.

I'm more inclined to go the intercooler first. I have four laminova cores sitting here. Have you seen the setups for the Patrols? They are the bee's knee's!

Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - Laminova Cored Intercoolers (Home Brew 2. GQ TD 42 )

One of the testers of these intercoolers was camping with us at christmas time. He gained more from the intercooler than the aftermarket turbo.

Still use the TD05 housing and swap the compressor and turbine (can't recall what ones to use though) up the boost (stock is only around 7psi IIRC) up the fuel, adjust the pump timing and a must is a 3" exhaust.

having said all that, ours is still stock :laugh:

The Army use the 4BD1 in the 110's and the turbo version in the 6x6, that's the one I want.
As you said 600,000-1,000,000km easily and like the TD42T they are so understressed it isn't funny.
Bloody good engines, the only downside is it's such a big 4 they rock and roll a bit at idle, but big deal, it's a Defender. :D

Mines at 12psi atm, timing and fuel altered and the 3" exhaust. There are various views on which way to go with turbo's. Uprated like you mentioned and you retain the white metal brg or aftermarket roller disco potato (doesn't have the longevity in diesels). The other option is the Falcon XR6 turbo.

Mines at 12psi atm, timing and fuel altered and the 3" exhaust. There are various views on which way to go with turbo's. Uprated like you mentioned and you retain the white metal brg or aftermarket roller disco potato (doesn't have the longevity in diesels). The other option is the Falcon XR6 turbo.

Hmmm XR6 turbo... do you think 270kW is enough though? Maybe go for the 310kW FPV version :msp_thumbup:

With bigger saws I usually lay my saw with the cluch cover on the seat of the truck. I put the bar on the floor. Sometimes I put them in the back of the truck. Sometimes I put my smaller saws in a side compartment in the bed of the truck. The truck has a utility bed.

Here's my slightly overloaded 6X4 wood hauler

2-10.jpg

Yeah I heard about the relation with UD.

I'm more inclined to go the intercooler first. I have four laminova cores sitting here. Have you seen the setups for the Patrols? They are the bee's knee's!

Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - Laminova Cored Intercoolers (Home Brew 2. GQ TD 42 )

One of the testers of these intercoolers was camping with us at christmas time. He gained more from the intercooler than the aftermarket turbo.

Yep, the Laminova cores look really interesting and fixes the one big problem with an out front IC, the lag.
I think one or two of the Rover boys are going down that road with their Isuzu's. I think that manifold on that thread was the inspiration.

The other way to jump with the turbo is graft on a big VNT, it's the thing to do with my Tdi and the TD5, usually using one off a Merc Sprinter or the big bore/long stroke version of my engine, the Brazilian HS2.8TGV.
And just for something different, one of the Rover fella's (Bush65 off Outers) has a Borg Warner sequential setup he's grafting to his Isuzu

Yep, the Laminova cores look really interesting and fixes the one big problem with an out front IC, the lag.
I think one or two of the Rover boys are going down that road with their Isuzu's. I think that manifold on that thread was the inspiration.

The other way to jump with the turbo is graft on a big VNT, it's the thing to do with my Tdi and the TD5, usually using one off a Merc Sprinter or the big bore/long stroke version of my engine, the Brazilian HS2.8TGV.
And just for something different, one of the Rover fella's (Bush65 off Outers) has a Borg Warner sequential setup he's grafting to his Isuzu

Argh yes, can't beat the brazilian............something to sink your teeth into!

I like where my turbo is at in the rev range, just want more in that bracket. I like how it climbs over everything/anything at idle and never go over 3 grand.

Sequential aye? How many cogs? I reckon this sequential idea is a great thing. How handy would this concept be in a 4wd environment? Brilliant! It works well with dirt and road bikes, so why not.

and isn't that an air cleaner cover off an MS660?

*you know you want to put a stihl sticker on there... :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back