how many climbers wear a chest harness or top croll? ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ms200, I got you on the small steps. I need to order another ascender. I did 1 Sitka spruce in Valdez today. If we can figure out the uploading of the video the h.o. took I'll try t get it on you tube. Should have some pics tomorrow. Topped it at about 95' and chunked it down.. took 2 hrs 15minutes including falling, the stob. I sure do like the 3/4" Yale Maxi wirecore flip line. Once it gets pitched up it will be even easier to hang onto. But it's real good even new.

Smokey ; welcome to Arborist Site. Cool chair. I'll have to research the Unicender.

TB, this is what I use, easy peasy...."The top set-up is"...30" ocean 10mm prusic with VT hitch, DMM rig pulley, samson 12.7mm climbing rope, DMM O carabiner, cambium protector......dont worry about the bottom line, thats my lanyard for doing pruning, deadwooding.

004-3.jpg

029.jpg

Last edited:
How did you figure the length from the ascender to the bridge or loop/ring and to the foot loops.
Trial and error or is there some formula or something. ??

I use a carabiner on one end of a short chunk of rope, and I put an adjustable loop with a friction hitch on the other end. That way I can adjust it as needed. It doubles nicely as a chainsaw safety, too.

Your 9mm prussic cord will be great for that.

Ms200,. I did 1 Sitka spruce in Valdez today. If we can figure out the uploading of the video the h.o. took I'll try t get it on you tube. Should have some pics tomorrow.

Smokey ; welcome to Arborist Site. Cool chair. I'll have to research the Unicender.

Thanks, I like my chair too. The neighbors think I am a little nuts but I suspect they are correct.
Hope to see your vidio and pictures.

Like this.
IMG_20120817_084503.jpg
. This is what I had previously figured out then I saw it in the book.

I hope you are still following this thread; I just stumbled across this post.

The picture shown above is what you will find when a guy is climbing "doubled rope", as in footlocking up the doubled rope with a prussic for a safety; this was the old standard for how to get in a tree before SRT techniques became popular. Try that on SRT and your prussic will bind up, leaving you with a difficult hump up the rope to get the "8" back on-line with some tension on it.

Oh! You discovered that, didn't you? Try the 8 above your prussic, and it will work just fine. The prussic won't bind up, and the 8 will take care of itself.

How did you figure the length from the ascender to the bridge or loop/ring and to the foot loops.
Trial and error or is there some formula or something. ??

I use a little beeline cord with carabiner on one end and an adjustable loop on the other end formed with a tautline hitch. If it needs to be a little longer or shorter, I just adjust. The beeline is very stout, not at all stretchy, and it binds down pretty tight on a tautline hitch, so creeping knots are not a problem.

Back