how many cord will a tw5 or tw6 splitter split in one hour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many cord will a tw5 or tw6 splitter split in one hour?

it depends.

how many pieces of wood do you plan on using per cord?

When I was working for my old boss, me and 2 guys could cut, split, and deliver about 10 cords a day w/ TW6 and conveyor. ( 2 cord loads, unstacked in the truck, fairly straight wood )

how many cord will a tw5 or tw6 splitter split in one hour?

it depends.

how many pieces of wood do you plan on using per cord?

That is exactly right. I have to split my wood small and a TW-6 is not the right machine for what I need. My 4'x8'x16'' stacks have around 325 pieces in them. My cook wood stacks have around 600 pieces in them. That would be tough to do with a TW-6 in a timely matter. I know they have a box wedge but it doesn't split it small enough.

Scott

We do a cord in 1/2 hour using 1 guy cutting logs with a HudSon K-saw and 1 guy splitting with a TW6, 6-way wedge, 30' belt conveyor. I'm sure this will out-perform a "Super"splitter because the TW6 merely slices thru knots that don't split and doesn't care if its clear ash or twisted white elm, plus making 6 pieces each pass:poke:

I have to agree that there are MANY variables. We have a TW-6 with a 4-way wedge. If the wood is straight and the diameter is just right for a single pass through the splitter..and we have enough guys (one feeding, one operating and one tossing/stacking) then we are at 1-1.5 cord an hour. Now..if we're down a guy, the rounds are 36" in dia. and need 6-8 passes to get to stove size, or there are lots of knots, or if it's Elm..then production can suffer considerably.

On one occasion I was "working through some personal issues" and managed to crank out nearly half a cord all by my self in about 20 minutes. That's the "Firewood therapy" part of our collective addiction.:D

Timberwolf and volume

There's a lot of variables to this equation. Working solo with sawn rounds and not using the 4 way wedge, I can do a cord in about 2 hours (no conveyor). A two man crew can do a cord in about 45 minutes and a three man crew with someone who knows how to handle the wedge and ram properly, can do two cords an hour. That's for big green stuff, oak or almond. If you keep the ram moving and don't have to run all the way through every cycle, a TW6 can keep a three man crew sweating as long as they can handle it. Smaller stuff and straight grain dry wood, pine or maple is even faster. Most of the stuff I split cannot be run with 4 way wedge, but a lot of the time we split two halves or thirds at once by stacking them. The longer you work with a cutting partner the easier it gets, as you learn each other's moves around the machine. When you're doing big, heavy stuff like green oak, then moving the weight around becomes a factor. When you have to cut rounds to use the lift, then things slow way down. The machine is not a limiting factor, especially if it has a log lift. The limiting factors are the ease of splitting - weight, length, knots and grain - and the size of the crew and their ability to keep the ram moving back and forth. I would love to try it with a conveyor. I think a two man crew with a conveyor could easily handle three cords an hour.

Last edited:
Back