How many pulls to start your ms170 and ms180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an MS180C - Cold Start - At full throttle set choke to "Full Choke" 2-3 pulls til it fires and stalls, move choke to half (or high idle) two pulls and it starts punch throttle to get it off half choke. Don't follow this sequence and it floods, then go get other saw.

I have a MS 170. I run a cute 12" bar on it. I love it for limbing. Only paid $150 for it new, so it has been a good value for me. After some of the comments above thought, the Dolmar is something I am looking at for a second smaller saw. My boys are getting to the age where they could start helping the old man some:chop:

No adjustable carbs on these
you beat me to it,,, unless you did what I did to mine,, put a wt215 on it and it still takes at least 6 pulls to start it after sitting for a few weeks,,,, if I run it each day it only takes a couple of pulls

you beat me to it,,, unless you did what I did to mine,, put a wt215 on it and it still takes at least 6 pulls to start it after sitting for a few weeks,,,, if I run it each day it only takes a couple of pulls
It takes 6 midget pulls but only 3 real pulls

That sux.
1-more reason to change the carb. I got a cheap ChinWah FleeBay thats worked as good as expected. Swapped the flat diaphragm cover to the OEM snorkel from the inteli-carb and the rest directly fit, even the air cleaner box. Had to drill a couple access holes through the side case and handle frame to match the H/L/LA. I think the only one that was off was idle LA.
If you aren't gonna Muffler Mod just keep the OEM and cash in pocket.

I have an MS180C - Cold Start - At full throttle set choke to "Full Choke" 2-3 pulls til it fires and stalls, move choke to half (or high idle) two pulls and it starts punch throttle to get it off half choke. Don't follow this sequence and it floods, then go get other saw.
I just went out to the shed and
I also have the 180c which I bought used for 100$ from my neighbor this spring but have yet to use it. When I bought it, he showed me it started and everything functioned properly but I just set it on the shelf because I use the 021 for all of my small jobs. So after reading some here have cold start issues, I head out to the shed an realize it's been setting there since June with the same fuel so I assumed starting would be an issue but as stated above, the third pull on choke it started to pop and two more pulls on 1/2 choke it took right off with no hesitation!

The worst part of starting this saw is getting used to the feel of the easy start recoil:mad:

Well, 6-8 pulls is nothing compared what I had to do last light with the 039. It's been sitting w/ TrueFuel 40:1 since June. Got some rounds to pick up from a guy at work that had a tree downed. May need to chunk things a little more to move. Either way, it took on the north side of a dozen to get that first pop.

Latest posts

Back