How should this tree be cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rotated to save on neck strain. I'll let the experts suggest methods of removal.

photo_10.jpg

just my two cents but I agree with tramp, walnut here is a little tricky it will definatly bust on ya,
i'd bore all the hart out if I was gonna sell it just not quite set down on saw and like he said be ready to leave her it'll surely try to slide back on ya even if ya get it cut off. i'd cut but don't know your expieriance level be carefull

Looks like a silver maple that may be hollow at base

cut a notch, leave a thick hinge, bore in and cut toward the back. Expect the crack to happen BEFORE the back cut is finished.

just my two cents but I agree with tramp, walnut here is a little tricky it will definatly bust on ya,
i'd bore all the hart out if I was gonna sell it just not quite set down on saw and like he said be ready to leave her it'll surely try to slide back on ya even if ya get it cut off. i'd cut but don't know your expieriance level be carefull

sorry had trouble editing post,meant to add don't leave directly opposite the lean leave at a 45 it will surely slide or jump backwards. let us know how this turns out,i'll worry bout ya

cut a notch, leave a thick hinge, bore in and cut toward the back. Expect the crack to happen BEFORE the back cut is finished.

don't look like maple to me, if its walnut they are chair prone, to much holding on a leaner like that my be a bad thing. [jmho] I see that hollow up top, wish could see more of butt.

Be very careful when notching this tree, by looking at that crack running down the center from the first limb, it might start to split while notching it.

don't look like maple to me, if its walnut they are chair prone, to much holding on a leaner like that my be a bad thing. [jmho] I see that hollow up top, wish could see more of butt.

Cottonwood I bet.

My two ways to approach this is.

One. like Tramp spelled out. Only if you know how to do this.

Two. Don't. Leave it for someone who doesn't have to ask how to get it down. There is nothing in the way to hit, it's a good leaner, your helping a friend and your doing it on the side as you have time or for fun. That tells me you don't do this often. The biggest worry I have is that you have concern about cutting this thing. Listen to your gut, it'll keep you alive. Find someone who will help that doesn't have concern.

If you have to, the biggest thing I can tell you is have a couple good clear wide escape routes ready, and use them. The rest has been covered well already. Except for that first photo, not sure what is going on there. That looks like a recipe for death.

Owl

My two ways to approach this is.

One. like Tramp spelled out. Only if you know how to do this.

Two. Don't. Leave it for someone who doesn't have to ask how to get it down. There is nothing in the way to hit, it's a good leaner, your helping a friend and your doing it on the side as you have time or for fun. That tells me you don't do this often. The biggest worry I have is that you have concern about cutting this thing. Listen to your gut, it'll keep you alive. Find someone who will help that doesn't have concern.

If you have to, the biggest thing I can tell you is have a couple good clear wide escape routes ready, and use them. The rest has been covered well already. Except for that first photo, not sure what is going on there. That looks like a recipe for death.

Owl

very well said

Man I get nervous, saying anything about these... never stops me though...

use the trigger like Tramp mentioned but only if your familiar with boring, and have a couple few escape routes lined up.

If your not sure pass it up, and hire a pro

The G.O.L. method is the same as the trigger method, if done with a short bar it becomes the Swedish stump dance.

I don't get the sense the op falls a lot of timber, and I doubt this will be going to the mill. It's also pretty small. I'd just do a RandyMac and call it a day. But I'm not sure my day job as a male stripper who uses chainsaws in his act qualifies me to comment

I would fall it (if able to) 60-90 degrees to the side. 40% face cut and then walk your back cut in, when you get to the hinge, if it doesn't go over slowly, give it a push, the tree is not that big and this way you don't have to worry about it splitting and chairing on you.
just my opinion, and that is all it is. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would fall it (if able to) 60-90 degrees to the side. 40% face cut and then walk your back cut in, when you get to the hinge, if it doesn't go over slowly, give it a push, the tree is not that big and this way you don't have to worry about it splitting and chairing on you.

Can you tell me more about what you are saying here?

Owl

interesting theory...degrees and all...

Back