How should this tree be cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highdesignfool

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any advise would be appreciated. I'm helping a friend clear some land and he has a large Walnut tree with a huge lean. I hasn't been blown over or anything, It was just never tended to while growing and ended up at what looks like about a 55˚ lean. It's still living and stable. The ground in front of the lean is clear (no house in the way)
I'm just concerned and want it to come down safely. Any tips on how this tree should be cut. Thanks

View attachment 293336

Last edited:
Rotated to save on neck strain. I'll let the experts suggest methods of removal.

photo_10.jpg

If your saw is in the 60 CC + size, the chain is sharp and it cuts good and straight !!!!!
I would put a 1/3 rd face in it. Cut out about 6" of the heart. Establish about a 2" of holding wood
Bore thru and cut back out of the tree. Be ready to get the h e double tooth pick out of there when it pops.

Last edited:
If your saw is in the 60 CC + size, the chain is sharp and it cuts good and straight !!!!!
I would put a 1/3 rd face in it. Cut out about 6" of the heart. Establish about a 2" of holding wood
Bore thru and cut back out of the tree. Be ready to get the h e double tooth pick out of there when it pops.

do you have better luck with a bore cut over a coos cut on the leaners ?

do you have better luck with a bore cut over a coos cut on the leaners ?

I used to do the Coos Bay cut a lot and still do on most soft wood. But as that is a true hard wood and I'm not as familiar with them. . With what I described it shouldn't chair or pull its guts out. Also there is an exact time when he needs to get out of there. For someone that I don't know I don't like t reccomend the Coos Bay cut. Sometimes as it takes off and the fiber pull starts the fibers can and sometimes do pull the chain up out of the bar groove and it stops cutting. Its just spinning. Kindof a bad deal.

What's this a dia of?

Clicking on the Graphics courtesy of Metals406[/QUOTE] would take you to the thread, "Used a coos bay in a tree today", where there seemed to be some confusion as to what cut the OP used. I suspect (but do not know) Metals406 created the graphic, first without, later with arrows and descriptions in order to help others see the method.

Thanks for your expanded thoughts on using the Coos Bay cut in regards to the OP's application.

Ya. There's a lot of ways to cut a tree. To the best of my knowledge I haven't left one standing that I cut.

There are only about 4 different looking stumps that I leave behind in the brush. . The one I described is the least frequent. But it works very good when its needed.

For hardwood, like oak,(not tan oak) either of the coos bays are risky for pulling wood and busting logs. Boring is usually the way to go. No matter what you do, getting all the compression wood cut really helps things. I cut a heavy leaning hickory today, maybe 24 dbh where I sawed from the face,(a little chunk taken out of the down hill side) all the way through to the back. It held on till there I was about 2 inches from the back without pulling any wood besides some bark. Strictly flopping with the lean, but works good.

Back