How would you drop this? What saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would probably drop it from the ground. Seeing it in person always changes my plan of approach however. After cleaning up the split section and other obstacles of course! I would definitely want a competent spotter to watch and call out if anything out of the ordinary was happening during the backcut that i could not see so i can "get the hell outta dodge".

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. Better to be able to admit it and say it then someone else reading it on your headstone.

Ok then lol!! Cat D8 if that don't work cut the one up that is already down and pile it around the other and set it on fire. If that don't do it take 300 lbs of ammonite/3 gal diesel fuel.
No no no. TRUST me, I do this for a living. Drill a 1 1/2" hole half way through the trunk at a downward angle. Get a 1" piece pvc about 5" long cap both ends with a 1/8" hole in one cap. Fill with gun powder and 28" of fuse. Put into hole, now mix 1 coffee can of ammonium nitrate with 1/2 cup diesel. Mix until nitrate is coated creating ANFO. Pour ANFO around pvc and fill about half the hole. Make sure fuse is hanging out, fill the rest of the hole with 1/4 to 3/8 crushed gravel. Light fuse and watch the tree come down

Honestly I would drop this tree. First advise u want a deep ish face cut . and big . this tree is just for firewood so it isent going for a log . this tree has an extream amounf of weight and branch's leaning . giving it a huge chance to barber chair . if it dosent chair it will kick up it the air and back at ya . I would bore in from each side leaving you hing wood( 3 to 4 inch's on each side) and bring it back as far as u are comfortable. Then come in from the back . till u cut your holding wood of the back . . keep an eye on the top of the tree . at all times . once she goes get the f uck out of dodge .

Is there any chance of finding someone with experience in your area to pay to drop it? That way you take the danger part out of the equation.

...First advise u want a deep ish face cut ...this tree has an extream amounf of weight and branch's leaning...giving it a huge chance to barber chair...I would bore in from each side leaving you hing wood( 3 to 4 inch's on each side) and bring it back as far as u are comfortable...

Deep face cut on a heavy leaner? Boring on a deep face cut with a heavy leaner?

I'd find somebody to cut it if u don't feel comfortable or hire somebody that cuts a lot. If u can't find anyone, give it time Mother Nature will taker down for u.

Why do you have to do it with a saw? I know I'm totally out of the box with this BUT, if you axe that thing on the leaning side till it goes over? Lots of hard work, I know but no barber chair, right?

Honestly I would drop this tree. First advise u want a deep ish face cut . and big . this tree is just for firewood so it isent going for a log . this tree has an extream amounf of weight and branch's leaning . giving it a huge chance to barber chair . if it dosent chair it will kick up it the air and back at ya . I would bore in from each side leaving you hing wood( 3 to 4 inch's on each side) and bring it back as far as u are comfortable. Then come in from the back . till u cut your holding wood of the back . . keep an eye on the top of the tree . at all times . once she goes get the f uck out of dodge .

You are worried about this tree barber chairing so you are going to leave a 3-4" hinge? You're quite the expert. In addition your method requires you to spend lots of time right at the base. That is the danger zone.

I am also quite unsure going by the pics but I would think about, depending on how strong the trunk is, limbing the first few lower thick branches. That would take some of the heavy lean out of the tree. Then the rest would be standard.

Back