Hunter Killed By "Old Growth"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently working on a 30-40 acres old rotten hardwoods reservation area. My job mainly is to cut off the undergrowth spruces and ashes due to the lighting conditions on the forest floor or something. Busted tops and rotten stems scattered everywhere. In fact it's forbidden to walk there outside the marked trails. Quite nervous, if you think about it. So I don't.

I'm currently working on a 30-40 acres old rotten hardwoods reservation area. My job mainly is to cut off the undergrowth spruces and ashes due to the lighting conditions on the forest floor or something. Busted tops and rotten stems scattered everywhere. In fact it's forbidden to walk there outside the marked trails. Quite nervous, if you think about it. So I don't.

Exactly right. When the week-end warriors and the mighty hunter wannabes go to the woods they usually don't think about it either. But they don't have to go. I always get a kick out of it when they tell us how dangerous the woods are. Maybe it makes them feel like they're really a part of what's actually going on out there. They mean well but they don't really know.
LOL...I think we have that part figured out.

Exactly right. When the week-end warriors and the mighty hunter wannabes go to the woods they usually don't think about it either. But they don't have to go. I always get a kick out of it when they tell us how dangerous the woods are. Maybe it makes them feel like they're really a part of what's actually going on out there. They mean well but they don't really know.
LOL...I think we have that part figured out.
Sounds like your post was directed at me, you know your not the only person to ever be in the woods. Any way, you can think what you want, don't mean it's right though.

Sounds like your post was directed at me, you know your not the only person to ever be in the woods. Any way, you can think what you want, don't mean it's right though.
i did not think it was directed at you. don't be so sensitive.

There is an attitude amongst some elk hunters. You have to be around here and them to understand. I dreaded working during elk season. Granted, not every hunter had the attitude. But one way to annoy me was the "Aren't you afraid to be out here by yourself?" question that they would not think of asking a man. It gets old. The woods aren't any more dangerous than say, OOH, I CAINT STOP MYSELF AND THIS IS MEANT IN A VERY HUMOROUS WAY...working on a rickety ladder. :) Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself.

I am sorry that the guy was killed. But, if or when the wind howls like it may have been, those of us with experience know to get out of the woods if we can, or hunker somewhere other than under a snag or snag top. Young plantations are one "safety zone" to run to.

Now, SS, please don't be so sensitive! This is after all, the Logging and Forestry part of the forum.

There is an attitude amongst some elk hunters. You have to be around here and them to understand. I dreaded working during elk season. Granted, not every hunter had the attitude. But one way to annoy me was the "Aren't you afraid to be out here by yourself?" question that they would not think of asking a man. It gets old. The woods aren't any more dangerous than say, OOH, I CAINT STOP MYSELF AND THIS IS MEANT IN A VERY HUMOROUS WAY...working on a rickety ladder. :) Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself.

I am sorry that the guy was killed. But, if or when the wind howls like it may have been, those of us with experience know to get out of the woods if we can, or hunker somewhere other than under a snag or snag top. Young plantations are one "safety zone" to run to.

Now, SS, please don't be so sensitive! This is after all, the Logging and Forestry part of the forum.
I agree, I will bother ya'll no more. But I have to check every now and then.lol

I was out cutting fire wood a month ago.
Dropped an 18inch fir that was close to a 18inch pine.
Did a good survey and saw not widowmakers before the cut.
Did the cut, dropped the tree all went well.
Then cut the tree into rounds and was loading my trailer.
So we are an hour since the felling, I hear a thump, 3 inch branch had come out of the pine and straight into where I had been working!!!
Was time for new shorts!!!
You just never know!!!
BBB

another source of a widow is when you lay a stem down and have a branch pop on impact and come arcing back at you . had one on a big fir on the commune job that was 20' by 8" come at me , and yes i had to move.

. The woods aren't any more dangerous than say, OOH, I CAINT STOP MYSELF AND THIS IS MEANT IN A VERY HUMOROUS WAY...working on a rickety ladder. :) Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself.

FOR SALE...CHEAP...one slightly mangled and splintered wooden step ladder.

Perhaps you should shop for a more tight grained ladder from an old growth tree. It may take a while to get the LifeLock ladder/walker prototype out. I'm thinking it will be aluminum and a cup holder must be worked into the design.

Perhaps you should shop for a more tight grained ladder from an old growth tree. It may take a while to get the LifeLock ladder/walker prototype out. I'm thinking it will be aluminum and a cup holder must be worked into the design.

And a good music system. Don't forget that. Actually we have a really good Werner aluminum ladder, taller and more stable than the one that crashed. But I would have had to walk an extra four or five feet to get it out of the garage and I was in a hurry and....

Just to clarify, posts like Bob's are generally directed at me, and sadly, the shoe fits even better than my glass slippers:(

I have had many more close calls, including once waking up to find myself driving a tractor with blood on my face, on machines rather than on foot. Slowp, if'n you ever saw the sharp pointy teeth on them elks you wouldn't want to be alone in the woods:D

If you want to see a quality ladder look for the video on how San Francisco Fire Dept makes their own wooden ladders. I think they season D fir for at least 15 years. Might be on youtube.

I can cobble together some green alder for him. I've even got some wire that is just like baling wire. That and duck tape ought to be enough to build a wonderful ladder/walker/help/and optional cup holder contraption. I'm also thinking it needs shiny streamers on it somewhere, and glitter. Oh, and a squishy horn.

Latest posts

Back