Hunter Killed By "Old Growth"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the bear she met? Thanks to hunters most of the bears in the woods are shy and will run away. That's a good thing.
Yup she came around a corner and met the bear at about 10 feet she put her trekking poles in front of her and yelled fortunately the bear decided to to run down and around us Quite the exhilarating experience

Yes, when deer season starts, and it is a prelude to elk season, log decks seem to change in size over the weekends and partially disappear. Some hunters are illiterate and can't read the NO WOODCUTTING signs and even paint applied directly to the decks. If gates are closed to keep the bad ones out of the area, complaints fly. If they arrive and find that their traditional area is now an active logging area, we hear about it.

Like I said before, it is the bad people that stick in my memory the most. I tend to think about all the hunter camp trash I've hauled, instead of the camps that were cleaned up.
Hunting season is a PIA if you work in the forest and or have equipment and logs to worry about. Deer season is annoying, elk season is beastly and frenzied.
When you live or work someplace, and other people from other places come into your space and change your routine it is annoying. I live in the country, and find myself routinely annoyed by the city-yuppie cyclists. Try getting by 30 spandex clad dudes on bikes on a 2 lane road. How do I know they are not from here? Nobody from here would squeeze into spandex, mount their $4000 bike on the back of their Porsche/Mercedes/BMW SUVs and drive somewhere to ride down the middle of the road, somewhat aggressively impeding traffic. The other PITA is dove season. Just change the $4k bike to a $4k shotgun and everything else is pretty much the same

I could write several pages about the dealings we've had with hunters. Most of you have heard the stories before or have similar experiences of your own.
I'm not against hunting but the vast majority of hunters I've run across are a PITA. They come to the woods for a few days every year and they're usually completely lacking in empathy for the people who make their living in those same woods.
The hunters come to play. The loggers are trying to work.
I'd like to have the time and money we've spent over the years on broken gates, rutted roads, flattened culverts, butchered log decks, ruined signs, petty theft, major theft, and vandalism of all kinds. Granted, not all of it was from hunters but the majority of it sure was.
We've also been sued couple of times by people who hurt themselves on our property through their own neglect and ignorance. Both cases were dismissed but the costs to defend ourselves took the profit out of the season. Unlike the hunters we have to show a profit for the time we spend in the woods.
We found that it's easier to just run the hunters off than to deal with the problems they bring. They tend to whine a lot but that's too damn bad. I used to point them toward government ground and tell them to do their hunting there. Sorry Slowp...but you guys always had a bigger budget for repairs than we did on our own ground.
I'm sorry about the guy that got killed but if you come to the woods it's an accepted risk that you might get hurt.
And, for whatever it's worth to the hunters who are paranoid about anti-hunters...I hunt. If I get a taste for deer or rabbit or duck or anything else I'll go get some. EDIT: PROMOTING ILLEGAL ACTIVITY Otherwise there are too many week-end warriors in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you and all the "tough loggers" need to READ the story. <snip> .......

Wow, are you taking things waaaaaaaaaaay out of context. I have met these guys here that are being calling names on this thread, and I take offence to what has been said. For the record, Gologit actually *is* one tough logger. He, Slowp, Spotted and Cedarkerf are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are most certainly not "simple phucks" (as you call them).

Having owned woodland and logging tracks here in the west, and living deep in Elk country (where I could literally just open a window and start blasting) I have had to have more than one poacher arrested for trespassing and blasting away, with myself in their line of fire. I have had to deal with and dodge many widdowmakers myself. I have also had to do search and rescue operations for hunters trapped or lost in the woods, completely unprepared and unaware of where they were. I have also had to peel dead or seriously injured people off of the mountain, after being told not to venture into areas around here. Climbers, hikers, hunters, and skiers alike. So I am not so teary about someone getting killed out there in the woods myself, for whatever reason they are out there. Its a risk you take coming to or living in this area. We all have it coming.

Oh, and before you get all puffed up in a verbally abusive rebuttal, I am also a NRA member and hunter myself. But then again, I live in the west, like my friends here. Geez, I have been off this site for several years, and it has sure taken a dive... hunter vs. logger wars?

Well s###, ya crack one joke about a ded guy and somebody's nickers get all twisted and skid marked...

While I'm sure it sucks for his family and friends, he died doing something he enjoyed, and if he was any kind of hunter I wold have spent time around, he would have got the joke and not been butt hurt.

Maybe hunting is different in the wherever Blazin is from? Perhaps its easy with plenty of critters for the taking and no yuppies shooting at everything that moves, every one gets there limit in the first couple of days and spends the next 3 weeks of hunting season swapping lies and calling to tell the wife they'll be home soon from the tittie bar? But what the Hel do I know about it last time I went hunting some group of loggers started cutting on opening day the spot I had all picked out and scouted... I let them do there jobs... and went on my way... Although I still wonder about the dude with the 066 a back pack, pistol, no wedges, no axe, no fuel or oil. One mile in sitting in a clear cut with not a truck to be seen... or any trees falling... and fatter than me? on a sunday?

In Wisconsin, they hunted from tree stands pretty much. Work stopped, and to the trees they took. I worked some, but was warned to be bright. I also skied during deer season, but wore extremely bright clothes on the trail, you knowwwwww, spit.:)

The deer limit was such that if you got all the permits, I think you could end up with five deer. There were no elk there, yet, but one of the tribes had started a herd.

I could write several pages about the dealings we've had with hunters. Most of you have heard the stories before or have similar experiences of your own.
I'm not against hunting but the vast majority of hunters I've run across are a PITA. They come to the woods for a few days every year and they're usually completely lacking in empathy for the people who make their living in those same woods.
The hunters come to play. The loggers are trying to work.
I'd like to have the time and money we've spent over the years on broken gates, rutted roads, flattened culverts, butchered log decks, ruined signs, petty theft, major theft, and vandalism of all kinds. Granted, not all of it was from hunters but the majority of it sure was.
We've also been sued couple of times by people who hurt themselves on our property through their own neglect and ignorance. Both cases were dismissed but the costs to defend ourselves took the profit out of the season. Unlike the hunters we have to show a profit for the time we spend in the woods.
We found that it's easier to just run the hunters off than to deal with the problems they bring. They tend to whine a lot but that's too damn bad. I used to point them toward government ground and tell them to do their hunting there. Sorry Slowp...but you guys always had a bigger budget for repairs than we did on our own ground.
I'm sorry about the guy that got killed but if you come to the woods it's an accepted risk that you might get hurt.
And, for whatever it's worth to the hunters who are paranoid about anti-hunters...I hunt. If I get a taste for deer or rabbit or duck or anything else I'll go get some. EDIT: Promoting illegal activity Otherwise there are too many week-end warriors in the woods.

Last time i checked poaching wasn't really hunting. Isn't posting illegal activity a no no on AS? So anything you say about anyone doing anything illegal in the woods at this point is hypocritical.

Sent from my AutoTune carb

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here it's not so much the hunters when it comes to theft of vandalism, it's the meth heads. But just like everyone's been describing smashed culverts, some broken locks, run over seedlings, etc. etc. When I first got into the industry I was all about letting hunters in and what not; just throw up the temporary gates near active obs or close off the gates to the larger active areas. I am still in favor of public access to private timberland but the public has to be responsible and not trash it. I have always held private property rights close to heart and still do. Private companies have the same property rights as an individual. It saddens me that large areas are made inaccessible to hunt. After all the game belongs to everyone not solely the landowner like it is in Europe. So I do what I can to promote hunter access and generally be a nice neighbor. Although I caught a guy riding a quad one time, I slowed down and stopped; was going to just talk to him and the woman riding on the back and remind them they weren't supposed to be riding quads there, instead of stopping he just shot off. Well that got my blood up so I headed to the middle of the unit. Lots of tall scottsbroom in it. Anyways I stopped and shut my truck off and I could hear the quad idling 30 ft away from me. Walked around the corner and there they were and they couldn't go anywhere but over me so I proceeded to ream em a new one and explain that they would of been fine had they just stopped... Most foresters are pretty nice and genial about stuff until someone acts sneaky or starts lying.

Last time i checked poaching wasn't really hunting. Isn't posting illegal activity a no no on AS? So anything you say about anyone doing anything illegal in the woods at this point is hypocritical.

Sent from my AutoTune carb

That might be a good point...if it had any validity. We never really saw hunting as a sport. It was a way to get meat for the winter if we needed to. But since I haven't "poached" a deer in over ten years is it okay with you if I go ahead and use that time frame to describe illegal activity in the woods?
Thanks...I knew you'd be good with that.

By the way, since I'm a troll, I will mention that the emotional one posts on here, then goes back to the site with the z on the end of a state mascot and tells them how messed up we are.

I am still in favor of public access to private timberland but the public has to be responsible and not trash it.

That's the problem. How do we keep them from trashing it? And how do we tell, just by looking, who's a responsible hunter and who's not? Since what we consider damage might not agree with the hunter's idea of what constitutes damage are we obligated to educate him? I don't think so. Common sense should apply. We don't have the time, the money, and definitely not the inclination to follow hunters around and make sure that they're not doing any harm.

Keep track of the time and dollars spent in dealing with hunter issues. It can add up in a hurry.

Bob agreed. I should say that it's not all from hunters or specifically one group but many groups that affect the ability of people to gain access to private timberlands. And trying to identify that one group like you say is impossible and as a result it closes access, driving access at least, to all. Lots of the companies let hunters walk in but even that is going by the wayside. I feel while it's unfortunate that keeping people from driving limits access to some areas at least you have free access. Now by charging for hunting privileges on private timberlands thy are pushing it to more extremes. Also lots of public land is closed off by defacto because it is often surrounded by private land therefore locked behind the private gates. It's an interesting and contentious issue.

We had a stormy weekend last week with some damage to city park trees. While the TV crew was filming the removal of fallen trees and branches by the fire department, a fireworker got hit hard on the head by a widow maker. It was live on TV. Sorry to see he did not wear a hard hat though, and the branch knocked him out good, but survived. A hard hat is not a bad idea in windy conditions.....

The definitions for poaching and hunting are completely dependent on the state that you live in. Not unlike smoking pot; its legal in WA and CO now, so its a jurisdiction thing. In this state I have learned all about the laws and violations as they were broken by 'hunters with tags' on my property. No hunting after sun down. No hunting from a public road. No hunting from a vehicle (they will confiscate your truck/Jeep here even if you are just leaning on it to get a shot off). No hunting on private land w/o the owners' permission. In this state you can hunt w/o tags on your own property under various conditions, and it is dependent on property size, what is called an 'emergency hunt', and several other cases. So accusations of who is poaching where is rather technical and completely city, county, and state dependent.

At any rate, poaching and trespassing got to be so bad when I lived in Southern Oregon we invited the state troopers to set up a mechanical decoy on our property across the highway facing a remote mountain. They caught several. They also patrol that area by air and supporting ground units. One lady I busted was dragging a doe across our pasture after I heard close gunshots and hit the deck. I confronted her, and she said she had a tag. I asked her if she had my permission to hunt on my property. She just kept on dragging the doe to her truck, which I had blocked with mine. So I then pointed out that she was trespassing on our land, and that she had gone through a marked gate, and that it was dark. She just kept dragging the deer along, saying she had a tag. I had a neighbor call the state police and by the time they got there she had stuffed the deer in her truck, all while I was cussing her out royally. They arrived and verified the drag marks, they found the shell casings 100 yards into our land, they verified that it was after dark, they confiscated her rifle (an SKS) and they went through her truck and confiscated another handgun and several knives. They had a second unit take the deer. Its head had been blown off with 4 or 5 rounds. Turned out that the lady was the librarian in town and known to be a Nazi when it came to overdue books. She apparently had adrenalin poisoning after the doe jumped over her truck and then the fence onto our property. She pulled into the lower property access road, ran through the gate after the deer and blasted away not thinking of anything or anyone. There were 4 houses within range of her weapon where she shot the deer.

By the way, since I'm a troll, I will mention that the emotional one posts on here, then goes back to the site with the z on the end of a state mascot and tells them how messed up we are.

You know that place was alright for a few days, but there sure seems to be a whole bunch of whining, and cross words. I like it here, cross words are saved for the news paper or when someone is out of line, the rest of the time its merry meet, merry part, merry meet again... when your all not rolling your eyes at another one of my stupid ideas...

And I thought trolls where ugly and lived under bridges? Demanding recognition every time someone new tries to cross.

I'm really hoping AS gets back to its former glory. What this site had was size and compartmentalization. I dislike very few people, and even those I dislike can be pretty funny. Here I could hang out with whomever I felt like on that day. Over there, it is the same people on basically every thread. For better or worse. What I really need is a function to keep my posts invisible to certain people. I got married to fight and argue, I hang out here for fun

Latest posts

Back