Hunter Killed By "Old Growth"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can cobble together some green alder for him. I've even got some wire that is just like baling wire. That and duck tape ought to be enough to build a wonderful ladder/walker/help/and optional cup holder contraption. I'm also thinking it needs shiny streamers on it somewhere, and glitter. Oh, and a squishy horn.

If you build that can I try it out at your house? How's your homeowner's insurance?

And a good music system. Don't forget that. Actually we have a really good Werner aluminum ladder, taller and more stable than the one that crashed. But I would have had to walk an extra four or five feet to get it out of the garage and I was in a hurry and....

The sound system doesn't have to be all that good. The prototype has lanyards for hearing aids, so ya don't have to walker around to find them.

Get better.

Owl

The sound system doesn't have to be all that good. The prototype has lanyards for hearing aids, so ya don't have to walker around to find them.

Get better.

Owl

I'm working on it Scott. Tomorrow I get to go all the way out to the drive way and back. Whoooopeee.
Sorry I missed you and your lady at the GTG. If things go right I'll be at Farley's in June.

I propose that we start logging the all of the old growth to save the precious lives of all hunters, and the wildlife they stock for future generations. It would be a terrible tragedy if just one more life was taken by these vicious giants, bent on the destruction of mankind, and all the tasty fuzzy wuzzys that nourish, this dying breed known as the great white hunter, and the sub species know as the Ted Nugent fan.

I propose that we start logging the all of the old growth to save the precious lives of all hunters, and the wildlife they stock for future generations. It would be a terrible tragedy if just one more life was taken by these vicious giants, bent on the destruction of mankind, and all the tasty fuzzy wuzzys that nourish, this dying breed known as the great white hunter, and the sub species know as the Ted Nugent fan.

Hear, hear!

Just "flew in" from an interesting walk. Our county wasn't listed for a wind advisory or at least it wasn't when I last checked. The Used Dog and I went out for our 3 mile walk. A three mile walk (Gilligan's Island like). We were on our way back when a roar could be heard on the ridge to our west. We sped up. It hit when we were passing the area of ratty cottonwoods and alder so we sped up, and were helped or blown by the wind in the direction towards home. We made it into a fairly safe area and continued on. We're also getting drenched. We enter an area of Doug-fir along the road and small branches were whizzing by. We go by a place where there is a mobile home off a ways and I hear the crack of doom. Nope, I didn't hear the tree land or did I hear the crash of the trailer, nor did I go near it. The sound inspired a burst of running for a bit. We got into another safe area and it looks like the powerlines are quite low.

That's the walk turned into an adventure. Oh, some "hunters" draped their elk hide over the road gate that enters a tree farm, along with dumping the entrails and head right in front of it. :mad:

Exactly right. When the week-end warriors and the mighty hunter wannabes go to the woods they usually don't think about it either. But they don't have to go. I always get a kick out of it when they tell us how dangerous the woods are. Maybe it makes them feel like they're really a part of what's actually going on out there. They mean well but they don't really know.
LOL...I think we have that part figured out.

Do you know the guy that got killed by a freak accident? Pretty amusing you find any sort of humor in it, people that have climbed ladders hundreds of times slip up and break their neck. Someone lost their life doing what they loved to do, and you make joke out of it...lame.

'
Do you know the guy that got killed by a freak accident? Pretty amusing you find any sort of humor in it, people that have climbed ladders hundreds of times slip up and break their neck. Someone lost their life doing what they loved to do, and you make joke out of it...lame.

Ummmm, perhaps you need to think it out more? Boy howdy you boys are good at making something to mean more than what it does. No, I don't know the guy who got hit by the tree and I feel sorry for him. The lesson is, you need to LOOK UP when setting up a camp, and maybe vacate it when the wind becomes a problem.

Somebody almost did break his neck falling off a ladder, and HE has a sense of humor about it all. We do more than one liners here. Guess that's hard to understand for some.

Now, back to designing the ladder. Would the truly rustic look, of leaving the bark on be OK? Bark's harder to peel right now.

I had to take you off ignore to answer your post. I see you're still a whiner. But that's okay, everyone should do what they do best. Okay...back on ignore for you, and several other people.

I had to take you off ignore to answer your post. I see you're still a whiner. But that's okay, everyone should do what they do best. Okay...back on ignore for you, and several other people.
Couldn't answer that reasonably could ya, I wouldn't expect anything other than that from your narrow mind. Watch the side loaded stuff bobby

'

Ummmm, perhaps you need to think it out more? Boy howdy you boys are good at making something to mean more than what it does. No, I don't know the guy who got hit by the tree and I feel sorry for him. The lesson is, you need to LOOK UP when setting up a camp, and maybe vacate it when the wind becomes a problem.

Somebody almost did break his neck falling off a ladder, and HE has a sense of humor about it all. We do more than one liners here. Guess that's hard to understand for some.

Now, back to designing the ladder. Would the truly rustic look, of leaving the bark on be OK? Bark's harder to peel right now.

I wasn't talking too you, I always expect that crap from your troll comments. Set up camp...in the woods. or maybe you never have

Perhaps you should shop for a more tight grained ladder from an old growth tree. It may take a while to get the LifeLock ladder/walker prototype out. I'm thinking it will be aluminum and a cup holder must be worked into the design.

Don't forget the other cup holder for a spitter lol

Figuring out the new layout is fun. I don't know how to multiquote so if there's more than one quote from me by the end sorry haven't finished reading the thread lol

Well finished it and not gonna double post soo.

Was out hunting on a calm day. Me and the old man had just met up on a road and all of a sudden hear the crack of doom. Rotten hemlock in the RMZ went. Doesn't have to be a calm day sometimes it's just a game of chance... But when setting up camp I'm always wary of big trees especially in campgrounds where there's OG and people have been hacking away on em creating vectors for pathogens. There's usually a widowmaker up there somewhere or hell the whole thing could just uproot and turn ya into goo so a little common sense goes a long ways.

Last edited:
sounds like some one needs to stop looking for something that is not there. and it very much looks like you have a personal beef with a few folks. but it's the interweb so i guess it's ok. what ever.

sounds like some one needs to stop looking for something that is not there. and it very much looks like you have a personal beef with a few folks. but it's the interweb so i guess it's ok. what ever.
Don't forget the other cup holder for a spitter lol

Figuring out the new layout is fun. I don't know how to multiquote so if there's more than one quote from me by the end sorry haven't finished reading the thread lol

Well finished it and not gonna double post soo.

Was out hunting on a calm day. Me and the old man had just met up on a road and all of a sudden hear the crack of doom. Rotten hemlock in the RMZ went. Doesn't have to be a calm day sometimes it's just a game of chance... But when setting up camp I'm always wary of big trees especially in campgrounds where there's OG and people have been hacking away on em creating vectors for pathogens. There's usually a widowmaker up there somewhere or hell the whole thing could just uproot and turn ya into goo so a little common sense goes a long ways.

I couldn't see any trees down where I heard the CRACK yesterday. A couple of ratty alders did go down along the place where we walked and trotted at a quicker pace to get by yesterday. That was all the wind we got, just the one session of gusts.

I'm thinking an ash tray is a necessity.

I couldn't see any trees down where I heard the CRACK yesterday. A couple of ratty alders did go down along the place where we walked and trotted at a quicker pace to get by yesterday. That was all the wind we got, just the one session of gusts.

I'm thinking an ash tray is a necessity.

'

Sure, leave the bark on. Go for that rustic look. Wes's spit cup idea was good and thanks for thinking about the ashtray. Better hurry up with the project...the doc told me today that in another couple of weeks I can hang up the walker.

Good Lord a couple more weeks? How bad did you bust yourself up? You need a hand getting anything done there at the place?

I like the bark idea. I might suggest that you not throw the walker out, just in case you decide to clean the gutters or something.

Owl

Good Lord a couple more weeks? How bad did you bust yourself up? You need a hand getting anything done there at the place?

I like the bark idea. I might suggest that you not throw the walker out, just in case you decide to clean the gutters or something.

Owl

Thanks for the offer but we're in good shape here. I was done with work for the winter anyway. Torn muscles heal slow and if they don't heal right there can be problems later on. I have the time...now I just need the patience.

I am starting a fundraising drive to get Bob a LifeAlert for the next time he falls and can't get up:rolleyes:

I make jokes about everything, including myself, when I die it should be hilarious, otherwise it means I died old and crippled in a f#####g rest home somewhere paying some pimple faced kid to wipe my a##...

So yeah he died doing something he loved, celebrate it, or get of your high horse, everything dies... can't spend all day crying about it. I hope to gods I die doing something I love and some smart ass cracks a joke about it and everyone feels better.

For all that I'll probably live to be 112 and asphyxiate on my own flatulence... which by the way would be hilarious...

Latest posts

Back