Husky 346xp, 353 (or Redmax G5300), Stihl 260 PRO, Redmax G621AVS: Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl Crazy your luckier than I, I'm just a firewood hack and farmer.
But I do have objectivity, and more importantly actually run chainsaws. I don't have the gift of reading a piece of paper and giving opinion on a saws performance. I guess you have to wear a tin foil hat and immerse yourself in saw specs.

Easy choice. MS260 Pro saw. Skip the 261 and 262. Consider the 346XP, but then get the MS260 Pro. You'll be happier in the end and ecstatic to boot. Read all about how great the saw is, then try one for yourself. Simply a delight to use for such a small saw. 346XP has far too many filter choices. Confusing and they could potentially offset the balance of the saw.

Last edited:
There are only two 50cc saws on the market I would consider. That's the 346 and 261. IMHO, they are directly interchangeable. Both are excellent saws.

my choice of a 50cc saw came down to these 2 puppies,

i suppose in the end i went with the stihl 261 because i know a few people who have huskys that can be a bit temperamental to start on the odd occasion.

at the end of tha day, iam just an electrician so my qualification ends when it isnt able to be plugged into a power outlet, on the other hand ST is a wizzard :) .:jester:

Easy choice. MS260 Pro saw. Skip the 261 and 262. Consider the 346XP, but then get the MS260 Pro. You'll be happier in the end and ecstatic to boot. Read all about how great the saw is, then try one for yourself. Simply a delight to use for such a small saw. 346XP has far too many filter choices. Confusing and they could potentially offset the balance of the saw.

It's funny you mentioned the 260 PRO, I saw a new one in a local shop and was surprised. What a great looking saw! Is this still a current model for Stihl or is it being replaced like the rest of their line? Whether or not it's older, I'll definitely take another look at this one.

First, you need to decide if you want a 50 or a 60cc saw!

Didn't mean to be confusing. I listed the G621AVS because I can get it new at the same price as the G5300 and cheaper than the 346XP or 353. Also, for 62 cc, it felt pretty comfortable as far as weight and handling. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to no smaller than a 50-55cc saw.

It's funny you mentioned the 260 PRO, I saw a new one in a local shop and was surprised. What a great looking saw! Is this still a current model for Stihl or is it being replaced like the rest of their line? Whether or not it's older, I'll definitely take another look at this one.

It was outdated more than a decade ago, and by now it also has been replaced by the MS261.

I agree with you, but when
cash also counts, there could be other alternatives!

My sentiments exactly! I won't argue that the 346XP and MS260/261 are not excellent saws... they are. Just not everyone can justify spending $600-$700 (CDN$) on just one saw when the next best contender comes in around $400 and will last just almost as long and take but a few seconds longer per cut.

The Husqvarna 353. Spend the difference on beer.

Latest posts

Back