Husky 353 not cutting straight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I believe this is an entirely seperate issue from my oiling issue discussed here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=54575
...so I figured it was worthy of a seperate discussion.

The problem is that the saw wants to pull to the left, especially on the larger logs. I thought perhaps it was me (rather than the saw), so I made a very conscious effort to start the cut slightly angled to the right and apply force more towards that direction by moving my left hand further to the left to apply some right-ward pressure. It still seems to want to pull to the left the further I get into the wood.

I had this problem last year and thought perhaps I had bent the bar, so I went ahead and replaced the bar and chain. I didn't seem to have the problem initially with new stuff, but it seems to have returned rather quickly. I've hand-sharpened the chain a few times to 30-degrees. I can't imagine I'm doing it so wrong as to cause the saw to pull. Yes, I do realize there's cutters on either side. :laugh:

Any ideas?

Your chain sharpening probably is a bit off, I have been there......:newbie:

+1

you dont conciously do it, but you always sharpen one side better than the other (because you are either left or right handed - you will find a "comfortable" side...) presuming your saw is in a vice

Ill sharpen say 3 strokes from the Left, and 4 from the right to compensate. perfect every time!

Practice practice practice

Last edited:
My guess is the chain, if its a new bar. Can you post a good quality pic of the chain close up showing a few teeth.

I'm actually having issues with my camera this week too. Can't get the card reader to work. :bang: It doesn't have a macro capability though, so I don't know if I'd be able to get a close enough shoot to be of any value.

I haven't been very confident in my sharpening so that may very well be the issue. In fact, several months back I purchased a Granberg but never really bothered to figure out how to use it. I just went out to the garage now and got it - I'll make that tomorrow evening's project.

Appreciate the input.

you should be able to tell just by looking at it if it is off balance, the one side the teeth will just have a little more off of them. you can just file the other side down to balance it out, and then adjust the rakers accordingly. then as others have said you can compensate for your weak side when filing in the future

you should be able to tell just by looking at it if it is off balance, the one side the teeth will just have a little more off of them.

Shoot, forget eye-balling, I'll mic the teeth and see if one side averages significantly more than the other. Good input - I'll try to have an update tomorrow.

go have a chain "professionally" (and i am using that term lightly) sharpened, or try a NEW chain and see if the problem goes away.

if not.............i dunno.

if so..................voila!!!!!!

I had this issue in the past and it comes down to the chain being unevenly sharpened and the bar not being flipped. Ever since I've been more careful sharpening the chain evenly and flipping the bar every dozen tanks I haven't had any issues.

Put a new chain on it, a chainsaw should not have only one chain.

If that fixes the problem look at your sharpening, if it still cuts crooked look the bar over for worn and uneven rail, bends or twists.

Put a new chain on it, a chainsaw should not have only one chain.

I do have a spare chain and bar - unfortunately, they're the ones I replaced when I initially had a problem with the saw pulling to the left!

Pretty consistent input on this likely being an amateur sharpening problem - I'll report back once I have more data.

Thanks all...

+1

you dont conciously do it, but you always sharpen one side better than the other (because you are either left or right handed - you will find a "comfortable" side...) presuming your saw is in a vice

Ill sharpen say 3 strokes from the Left, and 4 from the right to compensate. perfect every time!

Practice practice practice

I use the right hand on both sides, and it looks like I have found a way to get both sides about even, by holding the saw differently (the vice is not bolted to anything).

If your bar is in good condition then I would say the cutters are uneven seeing you sharpen it by hand.I been sharpening mine by hand for 30 years and try to sharpen both sides with the same strokes and presure.I noticed that the smaller saw chain .325 is more noticable than the larger 3/8 or .375 chain for going at an angle after you get the cutters halfway down or so.:givebeer:

Summary:

• Eyeball cutters for consistent angles and LENGTH.
  • Dominant hand will tend to file more so you get short - long - short - long etc.
  • The longer cutters will cut better, hence the pull to one side.

If this has been an issue for a while then:
  • Check your bar, Eyeball down the 'slot'
  • The rails may have one thinner than the other and slightly lower - The saw will NOT cut straight if this is the case. - time for a new one

So, in the future:
  • Have two or three chains per saw
  • Take care to keep the cutteres the same LENGTH
  • Flip the bar every time you take it off to clean it
Try and rotate the chains to get even wear, don't just use one till its shot and then put another one on, swap 'em about.

:cheers:

I got the mic out tonight and indeed the cutters were consistently shorter on one side vs. the other. On average, the right side was .025 shorter than the left. The only thing is, wouldn't that tend to make it pull to the right?

I got the mic out tonight and indeed the cutters were consistently shorter on one side vs. the other. On average, the right side was .025 shorter than the left. The only thing is, wouldn't that tend to make it pull to the right?

Just imagine a dog digging a hole with one leg longer than the other, youll get the picture.

Summary:

• Eyeball cutters for consistent angles and LENGTH.
  • Dominant hand will tend to file more so you get short - long - short - long etc.
  • The longer cutters will cut better, hence the pull to one side.

If this has been an issue for a while then:
  • Check your bar, Eyeball down the 'slot'
  • The rails may have one thinner than the other and slightly lower - The saw will NOT cut straight if this is the case. - time for a new one

So, in the future:
  • Have two or three chains per saw
  • Take care to keep the cutteres the same LENGTH
  • Flip the bar every time you take it off to clean it
Try and rotate the chains to get even wear, don't just use one till its shot and then put another one on, swap 'em about.

:cheers:

:agree2: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back