Husky 371xp-what bar do you guys run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlantern412

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought a nice used 371xp. It has a 20" bar on it. My buddy has a 372xp with a 24" bar on it and it almost feels like it's better balanced with the 24" bar. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

I never picked one up, so I couldn't tell you about the balance. But you've got more than enough saw for a 24" bar.

The 371 is a great saw. It can pull a 20” or a 24” without problem in hardwood. I prefer the 20” bar for bucking firewood and the 24” bar for felling. All depends on what you are going to do with the saw.

How much bar do you need? No point in carrying around a 24" bar all the time if you're using it to cut <20" wood. If you're cutting >20" wood with it, put a bigger bar on it.

My 372XP wears a 20" bar and Oregon full chisel for most felling and bucking and I picked up a nice GB 28" bar and some skip for the really big stuff. It will pull either with authority and ease. 24" would be a compromise.

Scott

My 372XP wears a 20" bar and Oregon full chisel for most felling and bucking and I picked up a nice GB 28" bar and some skip for the really big stuff. It will pull either with authority and ease. 24" would be a compromise.

Scott

almost exact same set up on mine, but I use stihl chain..28" full comp is a little slow for my taste, but doable..

24, 28, 32

mostly the 24.

here's a pic with the 28(i think)
husky.jpg

the 390 has become awfully protective of the 32".

Last edited:
The 371 is a great saw. It can pull a 20” or a 24” without problem in hardwood. I prefer the 20” bar for bucking firewood and the 24” bar for felling. All depends on what you are going to do with the saw.

Depends on where you live and what you're cutting. I agree with Centaur that for hardwood firewooding a 20" is probably best and personally I feel balances better. 24" is gonna be nose heavy but will work for you if you need it (with skip probably better). You'll notice all the North west guys can go with larger bars since they cut larger softwood almost exclusively.

I run a 20" on my 372, with overbucking you can cut around 24" from one side. I used to run a 16" bar when I was learning(yes my first saw was a 372) and the 20" is a bit heavier and has a few more teeth to touch up.
Do you cut 24"+ firewood alot? I don't very often.
For felling I don't mind all the extra cuts needed on a big tree, its just prolongs the fun and you get to do all the fancy bore cuts, etc.

It would be interesting to do a race in 24" maple, 20" bar vs 24" bar, full comp chain. I think they would be very close.
Ian

Last edited:
Back