Husky 460, 362xp or 570

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husky 350 (18") saw for general use but am looking for a larger saw that can handle a 20" (3/8) bar with authority and occasionally a 24" bar for the bigger stuff.

Any recommendations?

I've been considering the new Husky 460, the 362xp and the 570.

Hal

Either the 362xp or the 570 would be ideal for your intended use. They are both pro-grade saws and should be easily up to the task now and well into the future.

The 460 would probably work just fine, but it is in the homeowner/ranch saw class of saw (more plastic, arguably less durable design, etc.) along with the Stihl 290/310/390. If you do a search of old posts and read up on those Stihl saws, you'll get a sense of why the other two saws might be a better choice. Then again, the 460 may be the perfect choice for you after a cost/power/durability standpoint. Having owned this sort of saw before, I can appreciate the seductive nature of their lower price. You'll also notice in my signature that I don't own them anymore...

Two happy, plastic-intensive homeowner/ranch saws:
290_455.jpg

Last edited:
The 362xp is a great saw, is the same platform as the 365/371/372. The only thing about this saw, is that it uses the small husky bar mount. I would opt for the 365 instead. Baileys has them on sale for $499.99. I have had two of these for the last 7 years with minimal problems, and they have plenty of grunt to carry a normal 20" bar and the occasional bar up to 28" or so.

-Steve

I think you got this wrong computeruser, I belive the 570 is the consumer saw and the 575 is the pro version of that saw as well as the intended replacment of the 372, I think!!
I do know for a fact though, that the 460 is a pro saw, not the consumer saw, not really a consumer version in that class, it just goes from the ms390 to the ms650 ( which I doubt will ever make it) on the consumer saws.
I think the 570 is a little heavy for what it is, doesn't seem to balance very well for me.
Go to a dealer and feel all of you're options, look at the new Dolmars too, seem to be gaining quite a following lately. They seem to balance alright from what I have seen, never run one yet though.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I think you got this wrong computeruser, I belive the 570 is the consumer saw and the 575 is the pro version of that saw as well as the intended replacment of the 372, I think!!
I do know for a fact though, that the 460 is a pro saw, not the consumer saw, not really a consumer version in that class, it just goes from the ms390 to the ms650 ( which I doubt will ever make it) on the consumer saws.
I think the 570 is a little heavy for what it is, doesn't seem to balance very well for me.
Go to a dealer and feel all of you're options, look at the new Dolmars too, seem to be gaining quite a following lately. They seem to balance alright from what I have seen, never run one yet though.
Andy

Andy you thought like I did, I made a post about the 046/460 being a pro saw....now look at it again. I edited it.lol. It is the husky 460. It is a newer saw, that some areas haven't seen yet, bigger brother to sappy's 455.

The 570 and 575 are meant to replace the 365 and the 372. the 575 is only 73cc and the 570 is only 68cc, so there is some "false advertising" there. They are built on the same chassis, just like the 365/372. They are also quite a bit heavier that the previous 365/372's They are similar to the characterists to the 365/372 as far as power-wise.

I would still opt for the 365 over hte 362, as you are getting a few more cc and the bigger bar mount that will let you run a longer bar if the need arises, although the 362 would share the same bar as the 350.....

-Steve

362xpg

I have the 362xp with a 20" bar and am very happy with it.I'm cutting 16" red oak now and it does'nt bog down at all.It's set at 13500 RPM no load.Balance is nice,and saw isn't too heavy.
Ed

Freakingstang said:
Andy you thought like I did, I made a post about the 046/460 being a pro saw....now look at it again. I edited it.lol. It is the husky 460. It is a newer saw, that some areas haven't seen yet, bigger brother to sappy's 455.-Steve

DUH!!!!!!!!!! I remeber that thread now!!!!!!!!!!!:buttkick:
Then definatly look for a 365, or if you can find one a 365 special and don't look back!!!!! I don't think you will be happy with the 570/575, but like I said handle them yourself and see what you think. My 390 is heavier than a 570, but feels lighter!
Andy

362xp bar mount !?

After what I read on the US Husqvarna site the "new" 362xp has a big bar mount

/Kristoffer

SWE#Kipp said:
After what I read on the US Husqvarna site the "new" 362xp has a big bar mount

/Kristoffer

Maybe that is all the fuss about the "new" 362xp lol. The old one had the little mount and I didn't know they brought it back. So it is a 365 special with a smaller bore.... lol

-Steve

Hal said:
.... I've been considering the new Husky 460, the 362xp and the 570.
Freakingstang said:
The 362xp is a great saw, is the same platform as the 365/371/372. The only thing about this saw, is that it uses the small husky bar mount. ......
I agree, except that I have read somewhere that the "reintoduced" 362xp has got the large Husky mount.

If that is the case, the 362xp probably bare a better option than either the 365 or the overweight 570
- but why isn't the 372xp an option, it is lighter than the 570?

Please forget the 460 - it is an overweight and underpowered model.

Thanks for all the help. There is a weath of information on this site and through lots of research I'm narrowing down my search.

I was of the opinion that I wanted a saw with at least 4.0 Cu.In./65 cc and you have all confirmed that with your responses. It seems most of you are of the opinion that the older generation of saws are better performers and a bit lighter than the current models. I wasn't aware of the Husky 365 since its not in any current catalog. However, I have found that its still available although in limited quantities. The same seems to be true with the 372, however I havn't found one of those yet.

I have located a new 365 Special at a local dealer that I'm going to look at tonight. It could end up finding a new home since its the only one he has in stock.

Hal

362xp would be the best saw here, of the 3 choices. The new ones do have the same bar mount as the 365/372. The 362 also winds up to 13,500rpm just like the 372; the 365 goes to 12,500.

The 460 though is about $200 less than either the 362xp or the 570, if cost is a factor. I just got my 1st load of 460's yesterday, so I don't know how they run. At $20 more than a 455, they should sell pretty good.

Everyone has there own version of "what's a consumer saw and what's a pro saw?" Some people look at porting, and in the case of Husky, consider the XP's as pro saws, and the rest as consumer saws. I don't think that this is the way to look at it. The 570 can't really be called a consumer saw, and neither can the 353, IMO. In my book, I look at the construction of the saw. I pretty much feel that any of the plastic case saws are "consumer", and in the 455/460 chassis, Husky has simply come out with larger consumer saws. And "consumer" doesn't mean cheap. It's a good quality saw for a guy to use around his own property and to cut his own firewood; and it could last many years in that role.

spike60 said:
362xp would be the best saw here, of the 3 choices. The new ones do have the same bar mount as the 365/372. The 362 also winds up to 13,500rpm just like the 372; the 365 goes to 12,500.

The 460 though is about $200 less than either the 362xp or the 570, if cost is a factor. I just got my 1st load of 460's yesterday, so I don't know how they run. At $20 more than a 455, they should sell pretty good.

Everyone has there own version of "what's a consumer saw and what's a pro saw?" Some people look at porting, and in the case of Husky, consider the XP's as pro saws, and the rest as consumer saws. I don't think that this is the way to look at it. The 570 can't really be called a consumer saw, and neither can the 353, IMO. In my book, I look at the construction of the saw. I pretty much feel that any of the plastic case saws are "consumer", and in the 455/460 chassis, Husky has simply come out with larger consumer saws. And "consumer" doesn't mean cheap. It's a good quality saw for a guy to use around his own property and to cut his own firewood; and it could last many years in that role.

That's funny. I mean, you sound like your a dealer. Have you had a 365 special apart, or run one? They have the same porting numbers as the 362 (older version) and the 372xp. They have the same port timing and port configuration (closed port) just differant bores. Just becuase it doesn't say xp. ha ha. They run fine at 13.5K. The older 365's had a little zama carb that wouldn't flow enough fuel on the low circuit, but the newer 365's have the Walbro that seems to be adequate. Now the regular 365 with open ports won't run at 13.5K, but the close port regular and specials will. I know the open ports are out there, but have not seen them in this area. That to me makes them the best deal out there. I have one special and one regular both from the 00 model year...They are both closed port and have been that way since new, until i upgraded one to a 372 top end.

What does a new 362xp retail for...and the 365 special? Why would I pay more for a smaller cc saw with the same performance features? Gotta love Husky's marketing schemes. lol

-Steve

OK, I looked at the 365 Special at the local dealer. Its the only one he has and its a brand new 06 model. He's asking $564 w/20" bar or $574 w/24" bar. Is that an OK price or do I need to shop around some more.

I was hoping to look at a 372 also but can't seem to find one.

Specs are attached from the electronic manual, downloaded from the Husky site.

It appears the 365 and 372XP are both built on the same chassis with the only obvious differance being 48mm vs. 50mm bore diameter.

Hal

Well, I've shopped around for a while now and found that I could buy a saw for a few bucks less through an internet source but went back to my local dealer and bought the 365 w/20" bar. I thought in the long run I would rather support my local dealer in the event I might need his help for service support down the road.

After doing lots of research, I think for my purposes the 365 will do all I need it to. I'll work with the 20 inch bar for now and probably buy a 24-28 inch bar for occasional use on larger wood.

He set the saw up for me and offered to fine tune it after I get a few tanks of gas through it. I'm taking it to the woods this weekend to give it a good workout and start breaking it in.

Thanks for all the help. This site, with all its members is a great resource for information.

Hal

I was looking for a 372 for a long time because everyone here has spoken so highly of them, but they're tough to find. I settled on the 365 which was also higly regarded. I'll get chance to put it to work this weekend.

Hal

Hal, where did you buy your saw?

Just curious since I noticed you live in Utah as well. Nice saw BTW, let me know how you like it.

Latest posts

Back