Husky 555 or MS 261 VW Arctic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No being argumentative, but how does this work? If it get's below -4*C at night in the winter here it's considered extremely cold...

At -4C here gloves are questionable, and no need for heated handlebar, unless one has arthritic hands.
Being in the southern area of Canada, winter temperatures vary from 0c to -40C normally, the addition of the windchill has greater temperature effects.

Typically the user turns them on and forgets about them till its to late. As soon as ones hands start to sweat whilst wearing gloves or mitts, when the heat is removed, the drastic change in temperature causes handware to freeze up.
With falling snow the warm handlebars melt the snow that come in contact with it causing handware to become wet, being wet is never good in cold climates.

Cold comes in many forms, a dry cold is much different than a humid cold, both having different effects of gear and equipment.

While in use you never want to be able to feel the heating, if you do it will lead to the continual freeze thaw situation.

No being argumentative, but how does this work? If it get's below -4*C at night in the winter here it's considered extremely cold...

Here in Northern Ontario, we call that a Mild winter. heated handles or not , I was glad I got the firewood done in the summer. there was 6- 7 feet of the white stuff here last winter and it didn't go away until after the may long weekend.

Here in Northern Ontario, we call that a Mild winter. heated handles or not , I was glad I got the firewood done in the summer. there was 6- 7 feet of the white stuff here last winter and it didn't go away until after the may long weekend.

Have you found a need for the arctic/winter versions of the Stihl or Husqvarnas? I don't think we got crazy snow around Thunder Bay last year, so I might be a bit further South in Northern Ontario than you. Definitely North of North Bay:laugh: Then again, with my son's transition from infant to toddler, my memory is spotty.

Anywho.

I've got a similar dilemma going as the OP; albeit the recommendation I received was for the MS 362 arctic, but I'm also considering a 550xpG if I can track one down (Husky Canada doesn't seem to have one listed).

Is it generally worth the extra $$ for the heat? I only know of a couple people that use the VW models, but then I don't go around asking a lot of people what they use for chainsaws:biggrin:

Like carver, I have never forked out this much cash for a saw before. This would be my firewood saw and something to do maintenance on the 16 acres of brush I've got on my land. I can probably call in a few fellows to fell bigger fare, but I think 10-12" might be the normal max I would see (Birch, Tamarack, some Ash, handful of conifers) with mostly smaller stuff.

Here's how they split $-wise in Ontario.

MS 362 VW ~$977 after tax.
MS 362 ~$847 after tax. $130 to heat

550xpG Guessing $926 after tax (maybe less, given the 261 below)
550xp $791 after tax. $135 to heat

I know I can get a heated 562xp

562xpG ~$1130 after tax.
562xp ~$994 after tax. $136 to heat

Add a six-pack of oil and a set of good chaps (never owned any before), and I get woozy:wink2:

Guess I should put the ms 261 up too

MS 261VW ~$824 after tax.
MS 261 ~$734 after tax. $90 to heat

Hmm, I wonder why the upgrade cost for the 261 is so much less. I've heard/read good things about that saw and short-listed it before the 60cc+ suggestions started pouring in. Well, I think I just muddied this decision further for me.

Dealer support is no problem. Two reputable dealers (as far as I know) in town selling both Stihl and Husqvarna. Jonsered dealer 20 minutes away that I haven't had a chance to check out.

I don't want to threadjack, but I felt the issues were related.

If you guys think this should be a separate thread, please let me know and I'll delete the post and start fresh.

Latest posts

Back