husky cuts 2-3" sideways, then binds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohgood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
new bar, new chain, correct pitch on drive dog vs chain. saw cut about 8-10 10" cleanly, then started cutting curves and binding in the cut.

I've changed the bar/chain twice now with the same result.

what have I missed ?

Was the bar and chain you substituted new? Please post close-up pics of the chain cutters and bar rail.

the chain and bar were new. I didn't take any pictures of the bar rails (I think that's the right term) but it matched the chain

From the appearance of this cutter you're hitting something....

THqhBTt.png

whatever your cutting its more than clean wood. sounds like you need to learn to sharpen properly. as soon as that razor sharp edge has gone you will be leaning on the saw, what you described will happen and your putting undue strain on the motor. next stage is a scored piston or worse. when you can sharpen properly you will also learn to avoid cutting dirt

new bar, new chain, correct pitch on drive dog vs chain. saw cut about 8-10 10" cleanly, then started cutting curves and binding in the cut.

I've changed the bar/chain twice now with the same result.

what have I missed ?
If the bar is used check it’s edges to see if it has worn from level into a tilt effect. There is a bar file made by Pferd, a tool I’ve used many times. Other posters have covered the rest of the essential points. Good luck.

Probably lack of oil if nothing else, is it sparking and chain stretching a lot?

Most likely if one side is sharpened slightly different to the other but then you say it's new, unless it got blunted on whatever wood you're cutting because of high mineral content.

The plates and bar where it is clamped should be clean, the oiling hole cleared out and the channel needs to be cleaned out, sometimes it can seem clean but a little stone can stay lodged and mess everything up.

Basically once it starts to curve at all in the cut it is tempting to carry on but you're better off taking it out and making it cut right, starting a new cut if necessary. Seems time consuming but often it saves more time to start off again, having a spare bar and a few spare chains becomes the best solution.

Latest posts

Back